Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times

Advertisements

There are tons of gay sports leagues, groups, bands, etc. in Chicago. My friends are in a dizzying array of them, I just don't care myself. Their Gridrs are also blowing up 24-7 regardless of how attractive they are.

You live in the west loop and YOU'VE BEEN HERE FOR A WEEK. Just give it time, you can't rush friendships. Maybe it's a slow week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:27 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,483 times
This one is hard to figure out. He's only been in Chicago a week but got 4 dates and that is a bad outcome?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,516,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
This one is hard to figure out. He's only been in Chicago a week but got 4 dates and that is a bad outcome?
Haha seriously! As a straight guy, getting 4 dates in a WEEK would be an all time record.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Haha seriously! As a straight guy, getting 4 dates in a WEEK would be an all time record.
Yeah, agreed. 4 dates in one day would be ridiculous and I'd be elated.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
My experience has been that it's also the "typical behavior" of "straight" men (to find a female friend/partner).
Yes true, but with gay men, its elevated higher... as men are generally the major pursuers of sex as a recreation. Its the way they're wired. (meaning that men can enjoy sex and not confuse it with love and emotional attachment/bonding like women are wired, generally speaking).

there is even a word for what this activity that gay men do that i've never heard straight people say "the word "Trade" as in "I found some trade tonight". or "he was just trade."... i.e. recreational sex just for fun and enjoyment, no strings attached.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
4 dates within a week is a lot for gay guys as well.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
4 dates within a week is a lot for gay guys as well.
Yes I've been told stories straight from the horses mouth so to speak ;

the OP sounds like some of my neighbors in Boystown actually, the daily grind of finding dates and cruising.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM

43 posts, read 57,588 times
Thank you for the great replies everyone!

I think my problem is that I didn't really have any problem, but it's just the blues I have been experiencing that one normally experiences after moving to a new city and starting to build a friend circle from scratch, that too when I'm freshly walking out of le'closet.

Since I've gotten some very supportive replies (except for the guy who said gay men are looking for people like an average person seeks coffee in the morning), I think I'll give out some more details for those who don't mind-->

In no particular order, a few statements:

1) In Columbus, OH I lived in the gayborhood/horny college kids area (Short North+Ohio State), and in DC I was in the gayborhoods as well. And of course, here I live in West Loop, not the most thrilling scene for being gay. But West Loop or Chicago, it's a world class city that's very liberal. Why should it matter so greatly?!

2) Could you please elaborate more on the "fundraiser scene"?

3) Out of the 8 nights I've been in Chicago, I've only spent 4 in my bed (don't judge). But that's only out of loneliness, and sinking self esteem. I'm just waiting for someone to dine with by the Riverwalk.

4) Gay sports leagues don't seem that central in Chicago... perhaps because it's a much larger city than DC?! Also, I have failed to get myself excite for Pride, more depressed about, kinda like my birthdays where I was so afraid that none of my friends were gonna show up.

5) I had a couple guys walk to me and make conversations which started with compliments, before I even had the chance to spread out my beach mat on Hollywood Beach. There were also some girls at Sidetrack who were like "OMG you're by yourself? let me find you a cutie",

6) If it makes you happy for me, I have a date tomorrow evening, and possibly one the day after. Not with guys I am head over heels for, but that's what dates are for I guess.

Overall, I think if I open my eyes, Chicago has been friendly. So I'll take the blame on me rather than put it on this magnificent city, although I can't be too harsh on myself, I'm just a human waiting to be held.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:54 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,110 times
I honestly wouldn't trust Grindr for meeting guys for dates. Especially here in the city. It's just not a quality app. Hook up central is what they should call it.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 AM

498 posts, read 724,008 times
My grindr is never blowing up, I must be really ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago