U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 PM

202 posts, read 478,067 times
Default Marquette Park

Whats Marquette Park like these days? Are there any whites who still live around there? And if so what streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM

36,100 posts, read 56,047,586 times
There are still a small handful and their numbers are dwindling. They're mostly west of Kedzie. East of Kedzie is getting almost unlivable any more.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,299,929 times
Thw whites have continued to flee westward. They just cannot or will not learn to get along with the blacks. And people think the south is racist....

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Thw whites have continued to flee westward. They just cannot or will not learn to get along with the blacks. And people think the south is racist....
Interesting how you place all of the onus on the whites for not getting along. It takes two to tango, and there's plenty of racial animosity to go around between these two groups.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,676,209 times
Many people moving in are not trash because they are black, they are trash because they are trash.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 PM

84 posts, read 784,916 times
Default Speaking from experience

Since I am the defacto prince, and steward, of my beloved MarquettePark, I have to say the neighborhood is bad in certain parts, from Western to California 67th to 71st, due to the fact apartments outnumber houses, and whenever you have lots of apts, you will have a constantly rotating stock of people good and bad.

I am white, spend twelve hours a day within three hundred feet of the park itself, for the last thirty seven years, I own the words MarquettePark and 72 other versions of the words on the web. St Adrian 85, Quigley South 89.

If you enter the buildings of Holy Cross, Nativity, Maria High School, The Mother House of St. Casmir, McKay School, St. Adrian, Booth Tarkington, St. Rita High School, and Bogan, one or more of my siblings is less than a hundred yards from where you are standing and they hold a high ranking position within the building staff...........

As for the neighborhood being too black, or too bad, or not white enough who cares, I OWN IT........You just rent

That park saved my life, that park kept me from being a Natzi, that park kept me from being a scumbag, that park gave me everything good in my life..........

My official legal middle name is MarquettePark, Yes its true, and appears on my social security card and drivers license, If your trying to figure out who I am here's a hint,
LOTS OF CAR ACCIDENTS

If you would like to know more about MarquettePark, PM me, or do a search for MarquettePark on this site.

I will be looking for you on Redfield Ave, near the first stoner bridge,

LABAS
ADIOS
HAPPY KWANSA

Old 12-16-2007, 06:51 AM

16,249 posts, read 11,299,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Many people moving in are not trash because they are black, they are trash because they are trash.
In some cases that is true but even when a "nice" black family moves in, the next day all the whites will put out "for sale" signs and run like roaches! Or they will try to give the black family a hard time to see if they can get them to move. This is what happened in neighbourhood after neighbourhood in Chicago. It happened in Morgan Park which is a wonderful neighbourhood of well kept bunglows (around 107th and Green). The Chicago whites have never tried to get along with the Chicago blacks and even after the City of Chicago gave all the white people "Negro insurance" (the city gaurentees the value of your home), they still won't try to get along. The blacks who buy homes are not looking to "run down the neighbourhood"! Do you think they want to lose their money? Do you think they want people spray painting their garage and breaking in their car? Of course not! So why don't the whites in Chicago just go over to the blacks when they move in and say "welcome to the neighbourhood" and ask them to get involved in the upkeep of the community?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Here's your answer: because the answer to the question "can't we all just get along" is still "no." And contrary to your apparent perception that mean-spirited, racist bigoted whites just aren't willing to give a break as sweet angelic black families move in, the "no" answer goes both ways, at the very least, if not flowing more in the opposite direction than you assert. I personally know whites who have moved into traditionally black neighborhoods only to be told under no uncertain terms that they are not welcome, including one who had her windows shot out. I really love getting stared at when I go to Lem's Barbecue like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead.

Now, I'm going to say something here that may make some people uncomfortable, but I refuse to walk on egg shells: nobody seems to have quite as much trouble getting along with neighbors of different colors as blacks. Whether it's black/Asian relations, black/Hispanic relations or black/white relations, there is one common denominator: "black." And while there are tensions between other groups, the highest tensions always seem to involve black/whoever relations. People didn't head for the hills when Asians started moving into Uptown, Bridgeport and Skokie. People aren't fleeing the area around Ridge and Western because Indians and Pakis have moved in. Hispanics have integrated throughout the Northwest side without much issue, and now they're starting to do the same in the suburbs.

And Avengerfire is right: where blacks move in who aren't reprobates and whose kids aren't reprobates, people get along just fine. See: East Beverly, the black/white area of Morgan Park (despite your claim that Morgan Park residents are big bad meanies), Hyde Park, Homewood/Flossmoor, Oak Park, et cetera.

But let's be honest enough to admit that sometimes enough blacks move in who are reprobates or whose kids are reprobates and cause quality-of-life problems for everyone else. And whites (or anyone else for that matter) are not obligated to put up with it just to satisfy your vision of racial justice or whatever cosmic precept you think is being offended.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 AM

3,585 posts, read 6,465,213 times
Default Blacks and neighbors

I think its kind of unfair to state its black folks who don't get along with other people. Many non-blacks have set opinions of them. Drover, you are stared at in black stores? Well, that happens to many people when they are in the minority!

But, as to neighborhoods, have you ever seen organized, community efforts by black folks to keep out white people? There is some grumbling by apartment renters but not organized efforts that blacks have been on the receiving ends from other groups. Further, there are white folks who may be called urban pioneers who have moved into the 'gap', Woodlawn and South Shore where there has not been a white majority in 50-75 years. Homeowners have not resisted them. Hispanic folks have moved into areas around 95th and commercial and 79th and south shore and there's not been a lot of black-white friction.

And make no mistake, there are big tensions between the Polish and Hispanic folks now in the South West sections of Chicago near Midway. Preconceived notions can sometimes be self-fulfilling.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM

It's funny how someone leaps right in to say it's unfair to state that black folks don't get along with other people but everyone else was willing to let the most hideous generalizations about whites go by without a peep. You'll also notice that the tensions between Hispanics and Polish tend to be between people who are actually from Poland where the notion of ethnic integration isn't as idealized as it is in a highly heterogeneous society such as ours. Oddly enough, Hispanics and Polish seem to be getting along just fine up by Logan Square and points northwest.

And organized community efforts? This isn't the 60/70s any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago