Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,013 times

Advertisements

A lot of people on this page are considering a move to Chicago and are unfamiliar with the city. Often, they give a general description of where they plan to live and ask, "Is it safe?" There are two things I notice about the people who ask this question:

1) Most of them give the impression of being young, college-educated professionals.

2) The locations they ask about are often among the most affluent in the city.

I guess my question is, why are people who, statistically speaking, are the least likely to become victims of crime among the most fearful?

Last edited by RogersParkGuy; 06-13-2014 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,769,547 times
Because Chicago has been in the national news a lot lately for really awful gang violence. The impression given is that it isn't a safe place.

We just had someone from another state in the suburbs forum worried that Oak Brook wasn't safe. Oak Brook! It's totally out of hand!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,619,015 times
I just posted this list in another thread where people make the whole city out to be some kind of war zone. Chicago isn't even on the list and there was only one Chicago suburb.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2014 at 06:05 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,059,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I just posted this list in another thread where people make the whole city out to be some kind of war zone. Chicago isn't even on the list and there was only one Chicago suburb.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Harvey, IL is number 32.

Awesome. Somewhere close to me made a national list. Let's keep up the good work, guys. haha

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2014 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:20 PM

148 posts, read 213,166 times
It's kinda like this scenario- you (OP) get a nice promotion and get to move to Rio Brazil, and you've heard nothing but good things about it from your friends. You even get setup in a corporate apt., which is statistically the safest whatever. You're still going to do your due diligence about safety.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times
People think if they go to an area that has low crime or lower crime that they will be safer.
In theory it is true however, it is a false sense of security, one can be attacked and injured or killed anytime and anywhere.

To me it is like asking "How will my child do in school blah blah in city blah blah", well, gosh I don't know but I do know that my own child did great. That does not mean that your child will do great, it merely means my child did great.
The same with any neighborhood people ask about, how some get along in a specific neighborhood, city, state or school is not dependent on how others get along, it is dependent on them.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM

148 posts, read 213,166 times
Another thing is that "young college educated professionals" whose compensation maps them into the most "affluent" locations means they're coming from very selective schools, so they haven't had time to develop self defense or street smart skills.

Sure, a balance of professional skills and street skills would be great, but easier said than done.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,738,457 times
Who's asking, Laurence Olivier?

Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,176,413 times
The flip side of this question has two facets:

1. If you travel south Lake Shore Drive, you will see that suburban-type youths are stopped by the police far more often than their numbers would suggest per capita. There seems to be an idea that: 'If folks are down here are shooting and stabbing, why do I have to obey traffic laws?' or what I have heard addressed to police during traffic stops: "Why aren't you out chasing criminals?"

2. Collegians who attend urban campuses will graduate and quickly move to the suburbs. Then, although they were never the victim of a crime and probably don't know of one, they will comment on how tough it was living in the city with all that crime.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM

803 posts, read 1,666,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I guess my question is, why are people who, statistically speaking, are the least likely to become victims of crime among the most fearful?

I think many of those people come from quiet suburban towns and have never lived in a large dense city before, maybe they have never been in one for that matter. They're leaving their comfort zones; all of the media coverage of violent crime in Chicago, despite trending down over the last 30+ years, does not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago