Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
True. I'm in writing and library and honestly, I have no idea why it's been so hard in Michigan. I have 8 years in a library and 3 years in an office... plus 7 years freelance writing.
You're probably right in bypassing Boston, NYC and Washington, as those three are the truly expensive Eastern seaboard cities. I'll bet that Philly is somewhat comparable to Chicago, and more expensive than Detroit. The unemployment rate in Chicagi is still pretty high, but if you potentially have something lined up, and a few friends in town, then go for Chicago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You're probably right in bypassing Boston, NYC and Washington, as those three are the truly expensive Eastern seaboard cities. I'll bet that Philly is somewhat comparable to Chicago, and more expensive than Detroit. The unemployment rate in Chicagi is still pretty high, but if you potentially have something lined up, and a few friends in town, then go for Chicago..
I just applied for a summer gig where I currently live and I hope. I'm actually waiting for a house in Detroit, so what I'd be doing this summer would give me experience if I get the house in Detroit. I suppose I'll just apply in both Michigan and Chicago for the fall and beyond.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
This could be because Metro Detroit is economically in a worse shape than the Chicago area. That's not to say that Chicago is doing great either.

Also, firms in Metro Detroit tend to prefer hiring Michigan natives first & foremost. Out of towners may be looked at with some skepticism. Metro Detroit is not exactly a destination metro unless you're some proven hotshot engineer that the Big 3 auto companies really needs at the moment. Chicago, on the other hand, is full of transplants from all over the Midwest and even other parts of the country and globe. It really is the #1 urban employment magnet within the Midwest region much like NYC is the #1 employment destination within the Northeast Corridor.

Quote:
True. I'm in writing and library and honestly, I have no idea why it's been so hard in Michigan. I have 8 years in a library and 3 years in an office... plus 7 years freelance writing.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 AM

221 posts, read 322,098 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I currently live 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia and have wanted to move to the Midwest for 3 years now. For a while it was Wisconsin (HUGE Packers fan), but that fell by the way side. I graduated college six months ago and have tried finding work in the Detroit metro area, but no such luck. I have apartments in Michigan interested, but they want me to have a job and I applied for Write A House, but that won't be available until fall if I get it. I currently am employed in Pennsylvania, but it's not a lot of money. My parents want me to find something in our area until something bites in Michigan, but I HATE IT HERE. I found a job through Party Earth... I'm not sure where it is located because they are in NYC, Washington, DC, Boston, Chicago and international (I want off the East Coast, so NYC and Washington, DC are out). So, my question to you is how hard is it to relocate to Chicago from the East Coast? On my cover letter I am going to write I am seeking to move to the Midwest and this job is a perfect opportunity.

http://partyearth.s3.amazonaws.com/c...Copywriter.pdf
I think the really eye-opening thing is that you wanted to leave Philly for Detroit. Why Detroit?? It's widely known as a fallen city. In fact, the phrase "going the way of Detroit" has become synonymous with "taking a turn for the worse".

I don't think you should hate Philly just because you grew up outside it. It's a big city that's nicely located in the US, an easy train ride away from NYC and DC.

I think you might want to place less emphasis on where you live, and more on the career you want to pursue. You can be happy in most places that you live, as long as you make friends, find activities, and learn how to function on your own.

Last edited by oak317; 06-19-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 AM

221 posts, read 322,098 times
Here are some good photos for you to see of Detroit: Detroit's Beautiful, Horrible Decline - Photo Essays - TIME.

Might make you value Philly more!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 AM

49 posts, read 46,823 times
I would say that the job climate in Chicago is enhanced by the many surrounding suburbs and the opportunities they present. Also Chicago has lower food prices as well as a super public transportation system (if you don’t have a car). This town also has many ethnic neighborhoods and is a haven for the arts. Chicago is also an outstanding place for sports buffs. All of the above factors provide support groups for those who crave social activities.

The people are also down to earth and casual encounters are friendly and helpful. If you get into some minor difficulties, Chicago people, most of the time, stop what they are doing and attempt to help you out. The climate is unhurried and informal which makes for a stress free environment especially convenient for people just moving in from other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago