Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 8,596 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have read several threads on this topic, yet I am still pretty confused which is why this post.

I am moving with spouse and parents to Chicago for a new job (will be working in the Loop - close to Quincy/Wells train stop on Brown Line). We are trying to find an apartment on rent that would not be more than 20 -25 min. commute (by public transit) from the Loop (ideally by train - would like to avoid buses).

Also, since parents will be living with us, we would like to live in a very safe neighborhood (top priority - no kids so indifferent on school districts).

I would really appreciate your thoughts on where we could live that would meet the above 2 criteria. There are a lot of apartment listings in West Town but I have read mixed reviews regarding safety there (more negative than positive). If you live in Chicago and have a good idea of neighborhoods, I would be very grateful for your kind advice at your convenience.

Many thanks!

Best,
Ash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Budget???

If your "time radius" is your only criteria along with "safety" it probably makes sense to expand your search well beyond "West Town"....

Parts of Lincoln Park near the Brown line might be my top choice though this is among the pricest part of Chicago...

Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 8,596 times
Thanks Chet.

We are budgeting $2.5-3k (max) for a 3BR/2BA.

What areas would you recommend beyond West Town? I am completely new to Chicago so any advice would be helpful

Thank you!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Are you going to work at the Sears Tower?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
$2500 probably will not be enough to get you into the pricest 3br / 2 ba rentals near the Brown line in Lincoln Park but it would be the nicest combination of safety / quality of life. You could also look in River North and Old Town, but those are also very pricey parts of Chicago too...

If you look toward West Town / Ukranian Village you won't have much to worry about real safety issues but depending on which Brown line stop work is closest to you may have a less than ideal commute situation.

Another option to consider, that would absolute maximize your budget while helping you stay very close to work and likely giving you some excellent options for apartments is to consider areas like Printers Row and the greater South Loop.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF to Chicago View Post
Thanks Chet.

We are budgeting $2.5-3k (max) for a 3BR/2BA.

What areas would you recommend beyond West Town? I am completely new to Chicago so any advice would be helpful

Thank you!
Most of West Town is fine to be honest - the stuff you read was probably from a handful of years ago. There may still be some weird areas, but Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, etc for the most part is fine. It may be stretching it to 30-35 minutes but I'd really look at an area like Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, or Roscoe Village (North Center) along the Brown Line. Safe areas and enough to do. Do you have any other criteria for where you want to live as in the type of neighborhood or is safety just the only thing you care about?

Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
If you don't care about being in a "cool" neighborhood, McKinley Park near the Orange Line will give you a lot for your money. The Orange Line goes through chill/boring/safe family neighborhoods if you're into that.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you don't care about being in a "cool" neighborhood, McKinley Park near the Orange Line will give you a lot for your money. The Orange Line goes through chill/boring/safe family neighborhoods if you're into that.
The OP has plenty of money. $2500-3000 will not get you into the "top of the top" buildings, but it will get you a much nicer apartment than anything you'll find in SF for that price.

For those familiar with SF, McKinley Park is kind of like Daly City without the charm.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Don't discount buses, they're more reliable than the ones in San Francisco and would allow you to live in the Taylor Street neighborhood which is nice and would probably be enjoyed by both you and your parents.

I like McKinley Park, although there's not a lot of excitement there. The park itself is a great park, and it is fairly convenient to necessities. The north part of Bridgeport would also meet your criteria, as would Pilsen. You might (might) be able to find an older three-bedroom in Lincoln Park that would be in your price range, although it would be a challenge, but you might have students for neighbors and at that price it would be unrenovated anytime in your lifetime.

Another option would be to live near the Ravenswood stop on the UP-North Metra commuter line at the intersection of Lawrence St. and Ravenswood St. You'd have access to regular commuter rail service for a pretty speed commute during regular hours, but also access to the Brown Line Damen or Montrose stations for off-hours transit service (but it would be more than 25 minutes when you needed to use the Brown Line). That would put you closer to much of Chicago's traditionally Indian/Pakistani community along Devon Avenue if that's at all a consideration (I'm thinking more of your parents in that regard, and making assumptions based on your name).

Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
+1 for the Ravenswood metra stop suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago