Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 AM

577 posts, read 669,447 times

Advertisements

I can't stand it when people say "oh there's no point getting rid of guns, because they'll just get illegal ones". Where do illegal guns come from? They are ALL legal guns which have fallen into the wrong hands. That includes almost all of the guns in Mexico. Get rid of legal guns, you stifle the flow of illegal guns.

It's not a coincidence that America has more guns than any other country, and also has more murders than any other first world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I can't stand it when people say "oh there's no point getting rid of guns, because they'll just get illegal ones". Where do illegal guns come from? They are ALL legal guns which have fallen into the wrong hands. That includes almost all of the guns in Mexico. Get rid of legal guns, you stifle the flow of illegal guns.

It's not a coincidence that America has more guns than any other country, and also has more murders than any other first world country.
Leave the guns and make the ammunition illegal, I say!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post

Marijuana (until recently) was completely outlawed in the U.S. Has anyone of any age ever had any trouble getting any? No

Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Just so I'm understanding you correctly, are you denying that the gun violence in Chicago isn't a black problem but a Chicago problem? If so, then how do you explain that 99% or the shootings are either by black folks or a black person is the victim?

Do you realize that during the 80+ shootings over the 4th of July weekend, not a single white person was shot? They were ALL, 100% of them, black or Hispanic.

And quit trying to insinuate that we're saying all black people commit crimes or shoot people. That's ridiculous and we all know that's not true. But, if you can't admit there's a problem in the black community, specific to the black community, then you're simply not willing to face reality.
80-90% of murders in a year in Chicago are done by 1)Young 2)Black or Hispanic 3)Males with 4)Criminal History
80-90% of murder victims in a year in Chicago are 1)Young 2)Black or Hispanic 3)Males with 4)Criminal History
(all 4 items combined)
Gang Violence
If you consider any person outside of those demographics, they are not likely (compareable or better than any other city or town in the U.S.) to get murdered.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM

577 posts, read 669,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Marijuana (until recently) was completely outlawed in the U.S. Has anyone of any age ever had any trouble getting any? No
So then why ban anything? Yes, people can still get marijuana, but it's more difficult. I wouldn't have a clue where to get it from. But I do know where I can easily buy a gun. You're never going to get rid of all the guns, but you reduce the number in circulation.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
80-90% of murders in a year in Chicago are done by 1)Young 2)Black or Hispanic 3)Males with 4)Criminal History
80-90% of murder victims in a year in Chicago are 1)Young 2)Black or Hispanic 3)Males with 4)Criminal History
(all 4 items combined)
Gang Violence
If you consider any person outside of those demographics, they are not likely (compareable or better than any other city or town in the U.S.) to get murdered.

This is all true, but why is this the case? That's the question.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
This is all true, but why is this the case? That's the question.
Look at it through historical lens. Consider the social inequalities, inequities, and injustices (racial, gender, ethnical, economic, educational, political) that existed/exist in America.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Look at it through historical lens. Consider the social inequalities, inequities, and injustices (racial, gender, ethnical, economic, educational, political) that existed/exist in America.
The historical lens certainly shows past inequalities, but why then are there so many middle class black folks and professional people about. I doubt most came from wealthy families, but I would bet they most often did come from a stable home environment where education was stressed and where it wasn't acceptable to be out all night hanging on a street corner or to be involved in thug activities. Kids tend to imitate what they see in the home from an early age. I know many people in the Philippines, a country full of inequality issues. Most are poor but honest trying to get by, there are no government resources to tap into for aid there. A strong family is what I believe keeps them going another difficult day. Being poor in an unfair world and system isn't a valid excuse for heartless thug gangsterism.

I viewed a most moving video about a very bright young lady from Detroit that had overcome hardships growing up, to include an alcoholic mom and an unstable home life. Her brothers had taken the wrong path, but she is determined to make a future for herself. The full time student also makes ends meet with full time work. This girl is certainly a role model for others that have faced hardships growing up. She was helped with extra funding to go to college, which was essential to her being able to make her dream come true. And if you notice, this young lady has had the support and help of a very giving mentor. I'm certain having a caring adult mentor in her life has helped in many ways. Great story I hope you watch the video.

Cost of college keeps students from dreaming big - WXYZ.com

Yet another sweet 11 year old child, Shamiya Adams, has been killed by a stray bullet as she attended a sleepover with her friends. They were playing like they were around a camp fire (so cute I thought) when a bullet came through the wall and struck her in the head. Isn't it sad this child had her life cut short by some thoughtless thug gunfire. People always say this has got to stop, but those doing the shooting care nothing about the potential for innocent victims being struck when they wildly fire. It makes me very sad about this child.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:01 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
The historical lens certainly shows past inequalities, but why then are there so many middle class black folks and professional people about. I doubt most came from wealthy families, but I would bet they most often did come from a stable home environment where education was stressed and where it wasn't acceptable to be out all night hanging on a street corner or to be involved in thug activities. Kids tend to imitate what they see in the home from an early age. I know many people in the Philippines, a country full of inequality issues. Most are poor but honest trying to get by, there are no government resources to tap into for aid there. A strong family is what I believe keeps them going another difficult day. Being poor in an unfair world and system isn't a valid excuse for heartless thug gangsterism.
The expansion of the black middle class came from the efforts of educational and political reforms. This was a boon to the black community, however such efforts were met with counter efforts.

On the contrary, being poor in an unequal and inequitable system not only creates the conditions for "heartless thug gangsterism," but exacerbates it as well.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
I'm not a Tommy fan in the least. Nor am I a fan of Pfleger. However, I commend Tommy for coming to Chicago and showing those who care to watch, that Chicago isn't the cliche that the media portrays it as. I hope that the event remained peaceful.

The second video has nothing to do with the subject. However, I've never seen the inside of the Trump Tower.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago