Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyaweirdo View Post
Well being from memphis I never ever hear about random killings like I hear about them in Chicago. There definitely weren't 80 shootings here on the 4th.. In fact there were none at all. Everything's not about statistics. I can drive through, shop and even hang around in "the ghetto" here and wouldn't have a problem at all. .none whatsoever. Dont know if I can say that about Chicago.

And I felt safe in every city I've lived in.
Some posters want to defend their city. 80 shootings is not very flattering for any city. I don't care how you are looking at it. And it should be embarrassing as it is. Looking at statistics that isn't comparing apples to apples is not helpful nor insightful for a relocation thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Some posters want to defend their city. 80 shootings is not very flattering for any city. I don't care how you are looking at it. And it should be embarrassing as it is. Looking at statistics that isn't comparing apples to apples is not helpful nor insightful for a relocation thread.
Actually looking at statistics is the best way to compare apples to apples. Comparing raw numbers of two cities of vastly differing sizes or feigning shock at X number of crime incidents without taking population into consideration is a sophomoric exercise. A city the size of Memphis should be embarrassed about 10 people shot on Mother's Day. But do their residents ever have to tirelessly deal with a media spotlight whenever they have weekends that, person-for-person, are every bit as bloody as ours? Why not?

As for defending my city... yeah, I'm going to defend it against the tireless barrage of sensationalistic crap that makes it possible for people to judge it from considerably more crime-plagued cities like Memphis without so much as a hint of irony or perspective. And I'm not going to make any apologies for it.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM

129 posts, read 304,893 times
As stated earlier by another poster, Memphis is significantly smaller than Chicago, and that is what makes the crime such an issue here. For Memphis being such a small city, there should be better control of the crime. I think we have around 700k people in the Memphis city limits. And Chicago has how many? 2 million-ish?

My feelings are that all major cities are going to have crime, you can not escape it. The best thing to do is to make yourself aware of areas that you probably shouldn't be in. Use a map, draw some boundaries, really familiarize yourself with where you are, and pay attention to your surroundings.

I would also say that Chicago issues may be in national news more so than Memphis because Chicago is an internationally attractive city with a higher population. I was honestly surprised how quiet 4th of July was here this year. Last year, there were two shootings within a mile of my apartment and I'm supposed to be living in one of the safest zip codes in the city. When I first moved to Memphis, I was terrified to leave my apartment. Now, there really isn't an area of the city I wouldn't drive through during the day, but now I know where I shouldn't go at night. You won't find me driving around Hollywood and Chelsea after dark or even around Park and Lamar....

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
As stated earlier by another poster, Memphis is significantly smaller than Chicago, and that is what makes the crime such an issue here. For Memphis being such a small city, there should be better control of the crime. I think we have around 700k people in the Memphis city limits. And Chicago has how many? 2 million-ish?

My feelings are that all major cities are going to have crime, you can not escape it. The best thing to do is to make yourself aware of areas that you probably shouldn't be in. Use a map, draw some boundaries, really familiarize yourself with where you are, and pay attention to your surroundings.

I would also say that Chicago issues may be in national news more so than Memphis because Chicago is an internationally attractive city with a higher population. I was honestly surprised how quiet 4th of July was here this year. Last year, there were two shootings within a mile of my apartment and I'm supposed to be living in one of the safest zip codes in the city. When I first moved to Memphis, I was terrified to leave my apartment. Now, there really isn't an area of the city I wouldn't drive through during the day, but now I know where I shouldn't go at night. You won't find me driving around Hollywood and Chelsea after dark or even around Park and Lamar....
Memphis city limits has 655,000 residents.
Chicago city limits has 2,715,000 residents.
City of Chicago is 4x larger.

Memphis metro area has 1,316,000 residents.
Chicago metro area has 9,520,000 residents.
Chicago metro area is 7x larger.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM

129 posts, read 304,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Memphis city limits has 655,000 residents.
Chicago city limits has 2,715,000 residents.
City of Chicago is 4x larger.

Memphis metro area has 1,316,000 residents.
Chicago metro area has 9,520,000 residents.
Chicago metro area is 7x larger.

Thanks for the statistics. I was being pretty general.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 32,391 times
Well this turned out to be exactly what I didn't want it to. Blah

Old 07-19-2014, 07:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyaweirdo View Post
Well this turned out to be exactly what I didn't want it to. Blah
I do apologize if I was part of the mess. Choosing a new city is a major decision especially when children are involved. Chicago can be a great place to live at the same time it can be a nightmare depending on the person. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and get everything you need to get out of it to have a good life.

Good luck on your move.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
One thing that I don't believe was mentioned that will be important is daycare. Daycare in desirable areas is going to run you at least $300 per week, if you can get a spot somewhere.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Well from what I've read, most colleges offer childcare. I could be wrong though. I was hoping to use my extra financial aid to cover the cost

Old 09-14-2014, 01:27 PM

So just to update... I'Ve decided against Chicago and settled on Charlotte. I visited Chicago a few weeks back and was treated so terribly by people not of my race. Like, what did I do wrong? It happened about 10 seperate times!?? I was born and raised in Memphis and I dont get that kind of cold shoulderish prejudgememt here. So...oh well Chicago. Who knows anything about Charolette rentals? Im specifically looking for a rental house in walking distance to a good elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago