Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Maybe because there are more murders in Chicago than in any other U.S. city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I'm not an Illinois resident, but I've been in the city many times. Every time an "active" weekend for homicides happens in Chicago, I see it on the national news. Everyone I know balks when I say Chicago is one of the coolest cities we have in the country. They say ".. yea but the crime is awful."

Funny, statistics have Chicago not even in the top 10. I never hear of shootings on the national news for Detroit or Philadelphia, which are far worse. I lived in the Philly Metro for 5 years, and multiple homicides were weekly in Philly, Camden, and Wilmington. Most rustblet cities fair similarly in crime to Chicago (Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Milwaukee)
Because, 82 shot and 15 killed IS a big deal, especially if those are innocent lives (which unfortunately happened on the weekend). This is the kind of news you'd here coming from the middle east in the war, except it's happening on American soil.

I'm not defending the "Chiraq" reference, but Chicago is the world class first world city that has the worst issues with this stuff. The media can exploit this, and Chicago is often used as a gun control reference, but 82 shot and 15 killed over a span of 3 and a half days shouldn't be some minor story.

And you bring up Detroit. I know this is because Chicago's bigger, but last weekend Detroit only 30 shootings. Chicago had nearly triple that...

Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Because Obama is from Chicago. And also because until recently, Illinois was the only state to ban concealed carry.
Yep. Between these two things and the history of the Democratic "machine," Chicago is pretty much everything conservatives hate. And, despite their cries of a "liberal media" in the U.S., the major media outlets are owned by major corporations who have pro-corporate agendas first and foremost. They exist solely to make as large of a profit possible for their shareholders, just like any other corporation. There is nothing "liberal" about them.

Last edited by nearnorth; 07-09-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There are also the third-most PEOPLE in Chicago of any U.S. city, and the other two are significantly more expensive, which means they have less poverty and less violence. Are you going to tell us there are more cow-tippings in states with more cows, too? Thanks, Sherlock.

Yes, there are more murders in cities with more people, which is why murder rate is the valid stat. I'm a big fan of your namesake NOLA, but it has three times the murder rate of Chicago. THREE. TIMES.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You truly have to take population into account.

Indianapolis has a murder rate that is increasing

Indianapolis homicide rate nearly doubles - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Kansas City has a huge problem

Kansas City

Top 100 most dangerous cities

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Note that Chicago and NYC don't make the list at all.

FAQ on how they got their ratings:
Quote:
What this research list reveals. Our research reveals the 100 most dangerous cities in America with 25,000 or more people, based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Violent crimes include homicide, forcible rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault. Data used for this research are 1) the number of violent crimes reported to the FBI to have occurred in each city, and 2) the population of each city.
East St. Louis is #1, Flint, MI is #2

You can find the safest cities as well.

Last edited by Yac; 07-18-2014 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
And you bring up Detroit. I know this is because Chicago's bigger, but last weekend Detroit only 30 shootings. Chicago had nearly triple that...
85 shootings in a weekend is definitely a newsworthy event, I agree. Though, per capita 30 shootings at 700K people is worse than 85 shootings at 2.7 million people.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM

There is no doubt that 85 shootings in one city is newsworthy, but it's a matter of relative newsworthiness. Why don't I remember weekly national coverage of Chicago murders back in the 90's when there were nearly twice as many murders as there are now? If the current amount of coverage is appropriate for the current level of crime, shouldn't there have been twice as much coverage back then as now?

Old 07-09-2014, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
There is no doubt that 85 shootings in one city is newsworthy, but it's a matter of relative newsworthiness. Why don't I remember weekly national coverage of Chicago murders back in the 90's when there were nearly twice as many murders as there are now? If the current amount of coverage is appropriate for the current level of crime, shouldn't there have been twice as much coverage back then as now?
Yep, exactly. Though some people will turn to the fact that NYC had more homicides than Chicago in the early 90s. I don't remember how much NYC's homicides were covered either, though.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I agree with many who think the reputation and the nasty coverage is political. Another issue is the gang culture has been very strong in the city along with the highly publicize crime in the 70's with Cabrini Green and other huge housing projects.

Otoh, some are in denial because they don't identify with the most dangerous neighborhoods nor do they engage with the people who have been on the loosing end of the crime in Chicago. The homicide rate takes on more of a personal issue when you have to console a friend who looses a son to violence than it does if you totally separate yourself from that side of Chicago.

I've had the privilege of living in several cities including Chicago Memphis and St. Louis. I can tell from personal experience that cities have different ways of classifying homicides and other crimes. It isn't always a apples to apples comparison. It can be a difficult thing to pass judgment on the quality of life in a city until you've experienced day to day life there.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, exactly. Though some people will turn to the fact that NYC had more homicides than Chicago in the early 90s. I don't remember how much NYC's homicides were covered either, though.
I don't remember much coverage of theirs, either. Apparently 900/year in Chicago and 2,000/year in NYC wasn't newsworthy, but 400/year in Chicago (and falling) is OMG THE WORST THING EVER OMG OMG CHIRAQ OMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago