Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
i hear it is and house prices tanking
According to the National Association of Realtors, single-family home prices in the Chicago metropolitan area in the third quarter of 2007 (the last quarter for which data is available ) are up 2.5% from 3Q 2006, up 8.4% since 2005 and up 19% since 2004. Meanwhile, condo prices in 3Q 2007 are up 4.8% since 3Q 2006, 11.3% over 2005 prices, and 24% over 2004 prices. So much for what you "heard", though I doubt you actually "heard" anything and just wanted to flame.

Last edited by Drover; 02-04-2008 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,130 times
LOL I think youre confusing Chicago as the worst place to live with Chicago as the BEST place to live. Best sports town in America, great food, best skyline in America (in my opinion), best big city to raise kids (in my opinion).

Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 PM

20 posts, read 93,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
LOL I think youre confusing Chicago as the worst place to live with Chicago as the BEST place to live. Best sports town in America, great food, best skyline in America (in my opinion), best big city to raise kids (in my opinion).
It sounds like it is all your opinion.

Best sports town: that would be a hard one to convince east coast cities of where pro sports aren't just sports, but a whole culture and way of life for entire cities.

Great food: no doubt, but not the best

Best skyline: Have you seen New York's?

Raise kids: Is this a joke? !....! I would raise my kids in New York City, San Francisco, LA, or Houston, any day over Chicago. There public schools are ranked some of the worst in the country.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Valley View Post

Best sports town: that would be a hard one to convince east coast cities of where pro sports aren't just sports, but a whole culture and way of life for entire cities.

Great food: no doubt, but not the best

Best skyline: Have you seen New York's?

Raise kids: Is this a joke? !....! I would raise my kids in New York City, San Francisco, LA, or Houston, any day over Chicago. There public schools are ranked some of the worst in the country.

True, but The Sporting News agrees with me and ranked Chicago the best sports town in America also. Youre talking about a whole culture and a way of life in terms of sports? I think Chicago has that every bit as any other city with the Cubs and Bears.

I would say Chicago has the best food of any city in America. But it is my opinion. And anyone who says otherwise, it is their opinion. There is no definite answer to what city has the best food.

Yes, Ive seen Manhattan and I prefer Chicago's to Manhattan. As do alot of other people on this forum. See Best skyline topic

No its no joke at all, I wasnt necesarrilly referring to city limits. In terms of suburbs there are outstanding schools in suburbs such as Evanston, Schaumburg, Naperville, Arlington Heights, Oak Park etc....Or maybe you would prefer Newark, New Jersey schools as a suburb of NYC for your kids??

Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Valley View Post

Notice your focus was on pro sports. There's also a lot more enthusiasm for college sports than there is in the East Coast cities. All over this city you can find bars with themes oriented around college sports -- Iowa, Michigan, Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, etc. How many New York or Boston bars fill up with, say, Penn State fans during football games?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I agree with Tex.....the fact that chicago REALLY is a sports town can be alienating to some natives who could care less about sports, and especially if you dont care for sports but say, love sea kayaking in warm water or rock climbing. Then there is the food....well, I actually prefer the fresh produce and vegetables in California and the frou frou food I find there to the italian beef and pizza that is so common here....not to say I dont enjoy Chicago food - I do....its just that deep down I identify more with another way of life than the sports/pizza/beer way of life....and I dont really identify with the culture either (the culture non-related to baseball, football, beer or italian beef), though the architecture is the best if you ask me.

No chicago is not the worst place to live, but not everyone loves it to death.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM

279 posts, read 782,654 times
meh, i didnt see much of chicago, but what i did see of it was a ghetto dump, though i know thats not all of it. even so, theres waaaaay to many people there for me to consider living there

Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM

20 posts, read 93,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
No its no joke at all, I wasnt necesarrilly referring to city limits. In terms of suburbs there are outstanding schools in suburbs such as Evanston, Schaumburg, Naperville, Arlington Heights, Oak Park etc....Or maybe you would prefer Newark, New Jersey schools as a suburb of NYC for your kids??
Well, you didn't specify metro area. Again though, as far as schools go, going against LA, New York, San Francisco etc. would be tough. I'm not sure if you are aware, but Newark, is not the only suburb of NYC.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Notice your focus was on pro sports. There's also a lot more enthusiasm for college sports than there is in the East Coast cities. All over this city you can find bars with themes oriented around college sports -- Iowa, Michigan, Kansas, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, etc. How many New York or Boston bars fill up with, say, Penn State fans during football games?
Good point drover. Im going to Ohio State in a few months for college and there are many OSU alumni in Chicago. You can walk around and see sweatshirts and hats from universities all over America, especially the Big Ten.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Actually, there are A LOT of Penn State alumni in New York and though I've never been to sports bar in NYC when Penn State was playing, I suspect there are a good number of PSU fans in NYC bars when the Nittany Lions are playing on Saturdays in the fall.

Even though I have a love-hate relationship with Penn State (which as I've gotten older has moved more and more to the hate side of the ledger), I'd argue PSU has the second-biggest college football fanbase in the United States, after only Notre Dame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago