Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
It was latinos fighting at the beach the videos are on youtube, so you don't have to assume its black people all the time ok bud? Relax yourself
I don't think the word you are thinking of fits the number of *'s. Who is jumping to conclusions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,368,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
Yes, because you know, without the city your suburb would most likely not exist. However, I do like 1 suburb. Wheeling appeals quite well if I were to ever move.
Never said I hate the city. I love visiting the city, and visiting family members who live in the city. But living there has got to be the worst thing. And as someone else said. That argument that "without the city, the suburbs would fall" is just as true as the reverse ( without the working, people of the suburbs, who travel into the city every day to pump their money into the city's economy, the city would fall).

Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
But living there has got to be the worst thing.
And you think this...why, exactly? Tell that to the many people who choose to live in Chicago and could live in just about any city in the US if not the world.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 AM

526 posts, read 1,053,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
And you think this...why, exactly? Tell that to the many people who choose to live in Chicago and could live in just about any city in the US if not the world.
The greatest comment lies on page 4 I think. I got called a sheep, or actually anyone living in the City is a sheep paying Rahm.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
The greatest comment lies on page 4 I think. I got called a sheep, or actually anyone living in the City is a sheep paying Rahm.
Well, of course Rahm won the election with a whopping 100% of the vote.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 AM

526 posts, read 1,053,926 times
Quote:
Only 55% of Chicagoans voted for the numbskull.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Only 55% of Chicagoans voted for the numbskull.
I was being facetious. That's the point though - just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you support someone or even voted for them upon their election/re-election to office.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,368,329 times
Quote:
I don't care if not everyone in the city voted for him. I don't agree with him, as well as most other city politicians, I guess I just don't agree with "Chicago's Values". Enough people voted for him. There's absolutely no competition in this city/state when it comes to politics. Hardly any strong candidates for mayor. The places I desire and would want to live in are expensive, taxes are higher there than in certain suburbs, and I really could enjoy the good parts of the city while living in a more financially stabilized suburb.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I don't care if not everyone in the city voted for him. I don't agree with him, as well as most other city politicians, I guess I just don't agree with "Chicago's Values". Enough people voted for him. There's absolutely no competition in this city/state when it comes to politics. Hardly any strong candidates for mayor. The places I desire and would want to live in are expensive, taxes are higher there than in certain suburbs, and I really could enjoy the good parts of the city while living in a more financially stabilized suburb.
Okay, and that's fine, but telling people they're wrong for living in a place you don't agree with is pretty ridiculous. It's not like this is Sodom and Gomorrah. If you really think that living in Chicago would be the worst thing ever, then you simply haven't experienced much of the world outside of the US in places where it's an actual ****hole to live in and legitimately oppressive. I've met a lot of immigrants in my time here, and many of them are just happy to be here even busing your table for you. That should tell you something in and of itself about where they come from and what it's like. We take a lot for granted in the US and compared to a lot of cities around the world, Chicago is not bad (though yes, the homicide stuff in some parts of town is not good obviously). And on top of it, there's numerous people in the city that could live just about anywhere (including myself) and choose to make Chicago their home. If Chicago was really that bad, I'd be the **** out of here and not even in the midwest.

Let me tell you something. Last year I spent time in a 3rd world part of a country. It humbled me to death about what I have and how lucky I truly am. I'll never again complain about seemingly small things.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM

190 posts, read 313,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Chicago, the city, only exists because it was once a centrally located trading post, way back a couple hundred years ago when such things mattered. Its existence now is maintained largely because of its population. "It is because it is" or something to that effect. Have no doubt, there are many corporations and powerful individuals who are seriously contemplating leaving Chicago for greener, less-taxed less-corrupted less-crime infested pastures. Some have already started. And if/when that happens, it will certainly snowball and the city may very well disappear overnight. See: Detroit. What will be left standing? The suburbs! See: Detroit suburbs.

If you ran a company right now -- would you want to set up in Chicago? Amidst all the corruption and anti-business political sediment? How about that five months of snow each year? Or would a city like Dallas, with its business-friendly environment, tax-free income and year-round sun be more appealing? Even if you insisted on remaining in Northern Illinois for geographic reasons, it is starting to make much more sense to have a suburban DuPage HQ than one in Chicago! And the strength of business in the suburbs (in every direction) is a testament to their appeal vs the high-priced ugliness of Chicago. You even admitted your company has you working in Wheeling! C'mon! You're proving everyone else's point! You have limited experience with one suburb, and you happen to actually like it. Lolz.

I'd just like to say that everything about this post cracked me right up.

You realize Chicago is one of the most globally powerful cities in the world, right?

And you, of course, realize that companies have started to move back INTO the city in recent years from the suburbs, right?

Why are so many posters on internet forums so steeped in right wing histrionics? It's a trend I've noticed. Is it just because they have noone to ***** to in real life or what?

They just always seem so cut off from life outside of their little bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago