Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 PM

79 posts, read 184,042 times

Advertisements

Most of my family lives in chicago and my uncle just told me how dangerous it was and he grew up there and still lives there, but IDC because every time I come here it feels like I'm home. I can't explain it....

What are the safest neighborhoods that won't break the bank? I am a "poor college student" and im sure the hipsters have gentrified some of these neighborhoods lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Logan Square, Bucktown and Wicker Park would be places to start.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Wicker Park and Bucktown are NOT cheap anymore. The best you're going to do in those neighborhood is probably $900/month with roommates right now. What is a realistic monthly budget for you?

If you want relatively safe neighborhoods for a college kid then I'd look at areas like Bridgeport, Edgewater, Albany Park, Avondale, parts of Logan Square (definitely increasing in rent), Ukrainian Village/Noble Square general area, Pilsen, Rogers Park, Irving Park. You could probably consider Hyde Park too, parts of Kenwood, and neighborhoods like McKinley Park, Archer Heights, Garfield Ridge, Beverly, etc though those are fairly sleepy but still safe. You could also consider parts of East Humboldt Park near Ukrainian Village though it can still be hit or miss depending on where you are. Where you are attending school would really dictate where you want to position yourself too. Chicago is a big city. If you are going to Loyola or something, you aren't going to want to live near Midway for example.

Also, while there's unsafe neighborhoods in Chicago, there's many safe or relatively safe ones. Your viewpoint of Chicago is going to depend on where you live, hangout in, but also the types of people you hang out with. Your uncle may very well live in a not so safe neighborhood and that's his reality. Or perhaps he lives in a fine neighborhood and doesn't actually realize how many normal areas of town there actually are along with what's on the media.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Given both the high relative cost / difficulty of commute /sharp lone that fall outside the protection of the University there is no way I would recommend Hyde Park or any part of Kenwood to some "poor college student" unless they were attending UofC.

Similarly the insular nature & relative distance of Beverly from any part of Chicago that folks like the OP ever consider makes that a flat out bizarre choice. Similar problem with the recommendations of Garfield Ridge, McKinley Park and Archer Heights. Honestly these are not the kind of neighborhood that any recent college grad is likely to find the least bit appealing.

Places like Pilsen are probably less off-the-wall as far as being attractive to hipper recent college grads and still less costly though the recently publicized brazen day light armed robbery on the Orange line might make think twice about safety.
Similar flare-ups of violence in places like Logan Square / Avondale should also should make anyone considering these areas be sure to triple check crime reports. Truth be told the pitfalls the OP's uncle warn of are in fact more truthful than the mindless boosterism that some folks spout about the wonders of Chicago and anyone looking for a bargain is almost certsinly at risk of finding the hard way that the cheapest building / neighbor is almost certsinly the most crime plagued!

While there are some fairly priced apartments to be found in Edgewater or Albany Park there are also some "hotspots" that would be no bargain when factoring in the gang bangers...

Old 07-21-2014, 01:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Given both the high relative cost / difficulty of commute /sharp lone that fall outside the protection of the University there is no way I would recommend Hyde Park or any part of Kenwood to some "poor college student" unless they were attending UofC.

Similarly the insular nature & relative distance of Beverly from any part of Chicago that folks like the OP ever consider makes that a flat out bizarre choice. Similar problem with the recommendations of Garfield Ridge, McKinley Park and Archer Heights. Honestly these are not the kind of neighborhood that any recent college grad is likely to find the least bit appealing.
You completely missed the point - I was merely naming off areas of town that are inexpensive and relatively safe (though certainly not all of Kenwood is extremely safe). I also mentioned that these areas are sleepier, which if the OP has half a brain would realize means family, and might not be more akin to what they're looking for. However, they should be mentioned because it's stupid to put everybody who's in college or recently out of it into the same stereotype. But again, they're cheap and should be mentioned as places so the OP is aware they actually exist. I also mentioned that it depends on where they're going to school or working, or whatever they may be doing logistically, which was stated clearly.

Furthermore, the OP asked for areas that won't break the bank - not "areas that won't break the bank but are specifically fun for college kids." While I agree that obviously you want to be near your ilk, people who realize they may not be able to afford it will sacrifice some things to live normally.

Quote:
Similar flare-ups of violence in places like Logan Square / Avondale should also should make anyone considering these areas be sure to triple check crime reports.
Flare ups of violence in Logan Square and Avondale? I don't know what you are talking about - though Logan Square has had a few more homicides this year than in the last small handful of years, it's still mainly a safe place in most areas (not all, but most). You could say the same about most of Avondale right now.

Quote:
While there are some fairly priced apartments to be found in Edgewater or Albany Park there are also some "hotspots" that would be no bargain when factoring in the gang bangers...
If you're talking about Albany Park, then it depends on where it is in Albany Park. There are certainly cheap options that have nothing to do with gangs. Just because something is cheap in those areas doesn't mean it's flooded with gangs. You can still find relatively cheap places in both of these areas in decently safe parts.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 AM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wicker Park and Bucktown are NOT cheap anymore. The best you're going to do in those neighborhood is probably $900/month with roommates right now. What is a realistic monthly budget for you?

There are rooms available in those areas for $500-600 if you look on craigslist.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:02 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Logan Square, East Humboldt Park (East of the park, for a safe neighborhood), Bridgeport and Pilsen are all pretty safe place and affordable for college students and really anyone.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Logan Square, East Humboldt Park (East of the park, for a safe neighborhood), Bridgeport and Pilsen are all pretty safe place and affordable for college students and really anyone.
Yup completely agree. These are neighborhoods where you'll be close to restaurants, nightlife, and public transportation but you wont be paying an arm and a leg. And most importantly you'll be very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago