Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Chicago good for becoming a successful stand up comedian.
yes 20 80.00%
no 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,581 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind the culture in Chicago is very different from Portland. So your humor/style may not work here. You should visit and attend all the shows you can here to get an idea if your humor will fit in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 22,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisall1word View Post
Keep in mind the culture in Chicago is very different from Portland. So your humor/style may not work here. You should visit and attend all the shows you can here to get an idea if your humor will fit in here.
I think I would be fine in Chicago, I've visited many times and really love the city, which is why I was asking about Chicago. Most people say its a better career move to go to LA or NYC, and I'd rather do NYC than LA, but if Chicago is as good as NYC then I'd choose Chicago.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 847 times
Chicago's more of an improv town. I think you'd have more opportunity in NY or L.A. There isn't much around other than Zanies.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow1016 View Post
Chicago's more of an improv town. I think you'd have more opportunity in NY or L.A. There isn't much around other than Zanies.
There are a few other clubs.

The Laugh Factory, The Comedy Bar, Kick Punch Stand Up, Hoo HA Comedy

Comedy Of Chicago

Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Chicago is a very good place to become a comedian. First off, it was rated the nations funniest city (for what that's worth, The 50 Funniest Cities in America : Humor Code). Interestingly the same source rated Portland at number 5 so it can't be all hot air. There is a reason Chicago has disproportionately more comedians than most other cities too. So many of the comedic greats have either been from here or grew their routine here.

I think LA and NYC are fine too but are also less forgiving. Since Chicago doesn't quite have the glaring media spotlight of the other cities it would allow for a young comedian to experiment and see what works or doesn't work better without being labeled a dud or a has been before you even had a chance to be a current been, so to speak. I actually listened to a podcast of the Jonathan Brandmeier show a couple months back about this subject. I think it was with Chris Farley's (another great that grew his routine here) brother. They concluded that LA and NYC are great but everyone is critiquing and analyzing things that it can be difficult to grow as an artist. While here people aren't looking for an angle, just something that makes them laugh. Obviously, if things progress well, LA or NYC may beckon but I think Chicago provides a great foundation to that success.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 08-04-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
You better sit down for this....No.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 AM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
Chicago is the best place to be a stand-up comedian. Chicago started comedy clubs if i'm not mistaken. Good luck brah

Old 08-07-2014, 05:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Why don't you come to a Chicago comedy club, or two, and hear some and see how you would do?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 PM

122 posts, read 253,161 times
Chicago would be perfect, don't listen to Meadows....sounds a bit uncultured about Chicago in the context of comedy clubs. Even if the culture in Chicago is different you probably would still see success, let's not forget chicago has a lot of transplants now from all over america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: