U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 PM

554 posts, read 855,412 times
growing up going to chicago weddings and funerals(we were the indiana cousins) in my polish family always included family style sit down dinner with fried chicken, mostaccioli, and potato pierogis swimming in butter. YUMS

I'd also say portillos and good quality hot dogs (I am a plain gal myself but there is still no hot dog that compares with vienna beef or red hots)--no stupid eckridge or ballpark YUCK..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM

36,067 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
They also went to Honky Tonk BBQ on 18th I think? Ive been there a few times, amazing!
I don't think 3D has covered Honky Tonk, but Check, Please! has.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 AM

454 posts, read 851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Weren't you the one who implored me to get a stuffed pizza from Pudgy's? I did so, and I'm sad to report it was not the religious experience for me that it apparently is for you. I'm gonna give their thin crust a go though, next time I feel like wandering all the freakin' way down there.
No pizza is ever some grand 4th of July experience, when it's a fellow Chicagoan eating a Chicago pizza in Chicago. We know what good pizza is already; we're hard to impress with pizza alone. The difference is in the minutiae. It's like wine. Some appreciate it on a different level, others, it doesn't matter if theirs comes from a dusty bottle or a box; it's all the same.

Pudgy's is one of the last, strictly old-school, totally hand made pies in the city. The pizza guys there still use rollers, for christs sake. He makes everything by hand, grinds his own cheese, makes his own dough from scratch, etc, then assembles it all in a way that is uniquely his.

Chicago pizzas developed their worldwide reputation on the backs of pizzas just like Pudgy's, yet ironically enough, pizzas like that are very hard to come by anymore. It's a Chicago pizza for the Chicago pizza connoisseur who appreciates the finer points of a good, handmade Chicago pie. It doesn't earn it's reputation with gaud, tack and flash ("come in and enjoy our dried goat-sphincter and asparagus-tip pizza!!!") .
It earns its reputation with fundamentals. (they were voted like 4th or 5th best pizza in the entire city, a while back on a WGN viewer poll; kinda impressive for a tiny hole-in-the-wall)

Love the place; if you're the sort of person where a pizza is a pizza is a pizza is a bucket of fried chicken is a pizza is a Big Mac- don't go expecting some religions experience, but do go expecting to get the sort of pizza that made Chicago Pizza a worldwide 'thing'.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM

36,067 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Uh, wow, that was quite a treatise. Believe me, I'm the type who notices and appreciates the subtle differences from one pizza to another, especially with regard to deep-dish and/or stuffed. And Pudgy's stuffed just didn't do it for me, 'k?

I've worked at two regional chain pizza places, and believe it or not, both of them still made their own dough from scratch, still ground the cheese on-site, prepared the toppings on-site (cut up the onions, sliced the mushrooms, etc.). So I don't know that Pudgy's is particularly unique in that regard.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,568,925 times
I just returned from a Chicago visit with my family and I ate, ate, ate every day. It was crazy: gyros, thin pizza, stuffed pizza, Chicago dogs, polish dogs, goulash, and even my nostalgic Green River Pop! As soon as my cousin picked me up from OHare he asked me what I wanted to eat that night. My answer? Italian Beef! Gosh, I must have gained about 10 pounds! Can't wait to get back!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
^ I thought we were going to have a drink or two... Anyway, glad you had fun on your trip home. It is nice to see you post in here again as well. ^

Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,568,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ I thought we were going to have a drink or two... Anyway, glad you had fun on your trip home. It is nice to see you post in here again as well. ^
It was such a quick and dirty trip. I was actually in KY/IN for business and drove up a few days to visit the family. I plan on making a more lengthy trip either around Christmas or in the spring. We'll down a few then.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM

154 posts, read 136,980 times
Three Greatest Chicago Foods:
1. Giordano's Stuffed (or Chicago Pizza) with Garlic and any number of other toppings.
2. Liver or Gizzards lunch special at Harold's.
3. Anything at Cafe LaGuardia (although that is probably more of a Miami-themed meal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago