Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 AM

3,921 posts, read 6,835,417 times

Advertisements

OP. Burts Pizza has the same owner as Pequod's. They are one and the same. Pequod's is MUCH more conveniently located to River North since its in Lincoln Park. Same pizza and everything. In my opinion their pizza is far superior to any other deep dish. I love their crust and their vegetables. My second favorite deep is definitely Due's though. Which is right in River North within very close proximity to where you're staying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM

88 posts, read 82,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
OP. Burts Pizza has the same owner as Pequod's. They are one and the same. Pequod's is MUCH more conveniently located to River North since its in Lincoln Park. Same pizza and everything. In my opinion their pizza is far superior to any other deep dish. I love their crust and their vegetables. My second favorite deep is definitely Due's though. Which is right in River North within very close proximity to where you're staying.
Okay. Same carmelized crust? Does Pequod's have the same ordering system as Burts?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Utterly INCORRECT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Bruce Katz sold his interest in Pequod's many years ago. They have zero business relationship. Many intervieweers that even ask Bruce about his previous partners get a very rude response. They are NOT on good terms. They do not mention each other by name becuase of lawsuits. Pequods Pizza | LP About

Pequod's uses a very similar recipe and technique to what Bruce does at his place but they are not run the same way. The dough is often noticeably less fresh at Pequod's as they magically never run out, which strongly suggests some is made ahead of time. Dough takes hours to rise properly. Bruce stops selling pizza when he does not have dough that is right...

Bruce is getting older and had health issues. If you want to be there...

Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Bruce Katz sold his interest in Pequod's many years ago. They have zero business relationship. Many intervieweers that even ask Bruce about his previous partners get a very rude response. They are NOT on good terms. They do not mention each other by name becuase of lawsuits. Pequods Pizza | LP About

Pequod's uses a very similar recipe and technique to what Bruce does at his place but they are not run the same way. The dough is often noticeably less fresh at Pequod's as they magically never run out, which strongly suggests some is made ahead of time. Dough takes hours to rise properly. Bruce stops selling pizza when he does not have dough that is right...

Bruce is getting older and had health issues. If you want to be there...
Okay, yeah I read somewhere that Burt's had closed temporarily for a little bit due to health issues. I think Burt's is worth a visit at this point. What's the best way of getting there? Cab, el train?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Take cab, give exact address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy23 View Post
Okay, yeah I read somewhere that Burt's had closed temporarily for a little bit due to health issues. I think Burt's is worth a visit at this point. What's the best way of getting there? Cab, el train?
8541 Ferris

While it technically accessible via the Lincoln Ave #210 bus, it is in the middle of Ferris Ave, which is not really a commercial street and Lincoln Ave itself twists quite a bit so you will miss it. Similarly though it is just a few bllocks north of the Milwaukee District North stop in Morton Grove you'd need to walk NW along Lehigh then SW along Lincoln to Ferris. Kind of "hidden in plain sight"...

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
8541 Ferris

While it technically accessible via the Lincoln Ave #210 bus, it is in the middle of Ferris Ave, which is not really a commercial street and Lincoln Ave itself twists quite a bit so you will miss it. Similarly though it is just a few bllocks north of the Milwaukee District North stop in Morton Grove you'd need to walk NW along Lehigh then SW along Lincoln to Ferris. Kind of "hidden in plain sight"...
Great thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Chet is right on the money regarding Burt's and Pequod's. I really like Pequod's, it's my favorite other than Burt's. But Burt's is fresher and tastier. And I like the atmosphere, although many people won't.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Default The atmosphere is weird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Chet is right on the money regarding Burt's and Pequod's. I really like Pequod's, it's my favorite other than Burt's. But Burt's is fresher and tastier. And I like the atmosphere, although many people won't.
...it is not depressing like funeral home or anything. It is not "cheerful" like a lot of other pizza places. It is "personalized" kind of like the real attic / basement of a real semi-crazy old person which is pretty much what Bruce is. Unlike places that hire "designers" to go find (or have made...) "stuff" that looks like a century of flea market finds Bruce and his wife (and some friends...) have accumulated things that are kind of dusty and not really all that "fun" but do give the place a kind of unique look / feel...

Funny thing too is there are still a handful of other places that have a similar "lack of flair" that I sorts love and when it take an out of friend guest to the Canteen in Barrington or Shinnick's in Bridgeport they sometimes think I off my rocker going to places that look a little like the set of a movie where a serial killer grew up, but someplaces are better off with no "window dressing"....

Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy23 View Post
I'm not sure where you are traveling from, or how long you will be in town. But I'm not sure its worth the visit to leave the city. There are plenty of real Chicago pizza places that wont make you kill a few extra hours of traveling time. Personally, I'm one of the few non tourists that loves deep dish pizza, and I have never been to Burts. Albeit its on my list to check out.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Hours?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I'm not sure where you are traveling from, or how long you will be in town. But I'm not sure its worth the visit to leave the city. There are plenty of real Chicago pizza places that wont make you kill a few extra hours of traveling time. Personally, I'm one of the few non tourists that loves deep dish pizza, and I have never been to Burts. Albeit its on my list to check out.
The OP should know that Morton Grove nearly directly abuts Chicsgo. The google maps driving directions estimate is currently 27 minute from Orleans & Ohio in River North. It is nearly entirely expressway, 90-94, then about a mile and half west on Dempster.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago