Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 AM

179 posts, read 675,418 times

Advertisements

I am interested in teaching in Chicago, so I applied for the CTF program and am waiting to hear back from them. It is basically for people, with out teaching degrees, who want to teach in "high need" schools. Has anyone gone through this program before? I was just curious what you thought about it, the interview process, etc.
Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 15,121 times
i just found your post and was wondering if you ever heard back from CTF? I recently just interviewed and was wondering how anyone of the other 100+ people at the interview feels about the whole program. I know that you posted this last month but I thought I would give it a try and respond.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Chicago Teaching Fellows

I haven't heard back yet, hopefully in the next few weeks. I did notice that they keep extending the deadline to apply for the program though, that's kind of weird to me. I thought the interview was ok. I think it could be a really good opportunity, however I have never worked in a "high needs" area before. What are you wanting to teach?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM

35 posts, read 118,381 times
I'm going to be interviewing on Feb 23. I'm a candidate for High school math. You'll probably find out your status before I have my interview, but I'll let you know how it goes and what I think once it's over. Then, I just have to pass the certification exams (yikes!)

Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 AM

The basic skills exam is fairly easy, the content-area was more difficult. I interviewed a few weeks ago, and it basically goes how they describe it in the interview study guide thing. Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 23,705 times
So did you start i'm thinking about applying. Can you tell me your expirence thus far?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 38,125 times
I have scheduled for the interview in December and wonder, did you find it easy? I have yet to sign up for the testing and I am so petrified. Teaching is what I have wanted to do prior to landing in Banking/Finance for almost 15 years. Any tips for the interview? Is it conducted by individual/panel? Thank you!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 14,165 times
Default Subject Area Eligibilty Requirements

I'm looking into the Chicago Fellows Program, and I was wondering if the hours of coursework for each subject area have to be hours that you completed in college? Or is it from high school as well? I'm sure I don't have 32 hours of science or 20 hours of math finished from college...

Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default The require is for the subject matter high school credentials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred1986 View Post
I'm looking into the Chicago Fellows Program, and I was wondering if the hours of coursework for each subject area have to be hours that you completed in college? Or is it from high school as well? I'm sure I don't have 32 hours of science or 20 hours of math finished from college...

If you do not have 20 hrs of college math credits you would not have enough to teach high school math, similarly if you did not have have 32 hours of college science credits you could not teach a high school laboratory science.

They do not expect everyone will have that background. The other options are those with a background in Spanish or Chinese, or enough math to teach in Middle School. This is NOT strictly speaking ONLY an alternative certification pathway -- it is a way to fill the GREATEST needs: Chicago Teaching Fellows :: Making a difference in our city's classrooms. (http://www.chicagoteachingfellows.org/eligibility.html - broken link)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 46,039 times
I interviewed yesterday. The total number of spots available for next year's CTF program is 125. In past years, it was about 200. Also, there will be no stipend for the 7 week summer program at this point.

So, it's more competitive because of the economy this year.

The interview went well. The environment was extremely supportive and the two teachers who led my interview group were very caring. I thought, all and all, it went extremely smoothly considering who many individuals were present to interview yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago