U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 11,902 times

Advertisements

I am in the interview process for a consulting firm in Chicago. Both offices are located downtown ...

I'm 26 years old, single female, was raised in a mid-size Southern city, but have lived outside of Indianapolis, Indiana for the past two years. I'm looking forward to getting out of Indiana and living in the big city. I have a master's degree in my field and am looking to meet other educated individuals after being stuck in intellectually-subpar locales for a very long time.

That being said, where are the best spots for the young, professional, and possibly trendy in Chicago? I don't have any kids and am more than prepared to leave my car in Indiana. While I don't have much experience with public transportation, I'm not afraid to learn.

I'm employed in the financial services industry, but appreciate arts, culture, and the offbeat. I'm liberal and progressive and would enjoy an area that lends itself to that mindset.

Any ideas?

Last edited by whimdriven; 12-20-2007 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
Wicker Park sounds like a good fit for you - do a search for it on this forum, you'll find tons of useful info.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:16 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,745,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimdriven View Post
I am in the interview process for a consulting firm in Chicago. Both offices are located downtown ...

I'm 26 years old, single female, was raised in a mid-size Southern city, but have lived outside of Indianapolis, Indiana for the past two years. I'm looking forward to getting out of Indiana and living in the big city. I have a master's degree in my field and am looking to meet other educated individuals after being stuck in intellectually-subpar locales for a very long time.

That being said, where are the best spots for the young, professional, and possibly trendy in Chicago? I don't have any kids and am more than prepared to leave my car in Indiana. While I don't have much experience with public transportation, I'm not afraid to learn.

I'm employed in the financial services industry, but appreciate arts, culture, and the offbeat. I'm liberal and progressive and would enjoy an area that lends itself to that mindset.

Any ideas?

I think it kind of depends on what you are willing to spend. You could look at Lincoln Park, the Loop if you don't mind the area emptying out after dark, Streeterville (if you are looking for a true city atmosphere that is more like upper Manhattan), South Loop is very up and coming, Gold Coast if you can afford about $2000 a mo for an apt., Lakeview area, just to name a few.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM

You don't need $2000 a month for an apartment in Gold Coast (not for a 1 br anyway) If you liked that area- plan on spending between 1400 and 1800 on a 1 br. You could spend more, you could spend less. It's a nice part of the city no doubt, with easy access to the loop for work.

I wouldn't necessarily call it hip or offbeat though.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,902 times
I'd say my Southern sensibilities (i.e. spending a lot of time in low-cost-of-living places) won't let me spend that much on a 1 bedroom. I don't think I even want to spend that much on a 2 bedroom. I've known from the beginning that Gold Coast was pretty much a pipe dream, so no worries there ...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 PM

In Wicker Park you could get a nice 1 bedroom for under $1200, even under $1000 if you haunt Craigslist.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,071,434 times
Quote:
I'd say my Southern sensibilities (i.e. spending a lot of time in low-cost-of-living places) won't let me spend that much on a 1 bedroom. I don't think I even want to spend that much on a 2 bedroom. I've known from the beginning that Gold Coast was pretty much a pipe dream, so no worries there ...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/search...000&bedrooms=1

Search on here and you'll see plenty of threads discussing the various neighborhoods that would provide what you're looking for. You don't need to spend over a grand to have a nice 1 br apartment in an active neighborhood.

Last edited by jdiddy; 12-20-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM

9,170 posts, read 13,662,902 times
Yeah, I'd honestly just look anywhere inside the box from North Ave on the south, then follow Clybourn up to Ashland, and Ashland north to Irving Park, then Irving Park east to the lake. Come visit and take a look around. As a general rule, the farther east you go the easier it will be without a car, the more expensive, and the more options as far as shopping/bars/restaurants.

Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Roscoe Village..

Old 12-20-2007, 03:32 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,745,414 times
Quote:
Ya, I think for 75% of the population, having a Gold Coast mailing address is only a dream. It sure is nice, but that nice comes at a cost!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,811,396 times
Quote:
How much do you want to spend? Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park are a few places....Andersonville, Roscoe Village. Definitly search these threads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago