Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times

Advertisements

Scour Craigslist for any description that matches your model.

Post on the stolen bike registry
Recovered | Chicago Stolen Bike Registry

There are also a couple Facebook groups that specialize in selling stolen bikes...most are now closed to non-members unfortunately but might want to check with the cop on your case to see if theres anyway they can gain access and look if a posting matches yours.

Some stolen bikes tend to get sold at the Maxwell market. Worth taking a walk around.

In the future etch your name or some identifying mark into the frame.

Unfortunately its already prob been stripped apart for components so odds are long you'll find it but never know.

The stuff posted on the prior page is good advice though. Locking just the wheel is the same as not locking it at all. And only lock to a rack (fences, signposts, etc can easily be compromised)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have heard that when a Krytponite lock is compromised in the way shown, and the lock left behind that is a good thing as they are more likely to send you a check for the warranty amount. Any truth to that??
Yes, if you register the lock and the bike it will be used with with the lock maker when you buy the lock. If you neglect to do that, you are basically at the lock maker's mercy, although they will often try to do something as a show of good faith if you politely push the issue. Also, at least with Kryptonite, it's not a check, it's the equivalent of a Visa gift card. They will also (at least in my experience, again, with Kryptonite) also replace the lock itself, sometimes with a better lock (for example, they sent us one of their New York locks). Finally, not all lock models come with insurance, so if that's important to you, read the packaging to make sure you understand what sort of warranty/insurance the model(s) you're considering come with. In Kryptonite's lineup, the Evolution models come with, I think $1,000-$2,000 worth of coverage, but the New York ones come with $4,000 worth of insurance. Lesser models come with no insurance. Also, the insurance only covers the bike itself, not any add-ons, upgrades, or accessories that were purchased separately. For that reason, if you get a custom built bike, try to get a receipt for insurance purposes just showing the final total cost instead of (or in addition to) an itemized build list receipt.

Quote:
BTW There are places much closer where it is relatively safe to leave "valuables" visible in an parked vehicle. I have never had any problem in the larger parking garages in Chicago. There is generally "camera survellience" and the crooks just don't bother. Similarly the surface lots of the major shopping malls like Woodfield. Old Orchard or Oakbrook are heavily patrolled by the respective local police, break-ins are rare.
That's likely true. Still makes me nervous.

Quote:
Funny thing is every once in a while the local suburban "police blotter" will list a spate of sunglasses, change and radar detectors stollen from cars. In most cases these tend to UNLOCKED so it is technically possible but really these are just your bored type kids as they aren't even gonna break a window...
Definitely lock your car.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
In the future etch your name or some identifying mark into the frame.
Just be careful not to compromise the paint on your frame if you can help it, as etching can cause rust problems if you plan to keep the bike long-term. One recommended method is to put a card in the seat tube. You could also use nail polish to make customized markings on different parts of the bike.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM

17 posts, read 23,358 times
I sent emails to both
John E. Graeber & brian murphy... Security responsibles for navy pier...

They said:

We will review our cameras to see if anything can be gleamed from those. Again, sorry to hear about your loss.

--

Good evening, I am sorry to hear about the theft of your bicycle that recently occurred in front of Navy Pier at Gateway Park. The area the bike rack is located currently is not under video surveillance. I personally looked at several other camera’s today in an attempt to locate someone carrying your bike with the missing tire. Nothing was captured on any of the other available camera’s.

The security staff at Navy Pier has caught individuals in the past committing theft of bicycles. Unfortunately, this type of crime is premeditated, once the thief observes the bike he wants to steal, the actual theft only takes seconds. We have captured prior incidents at other locations on video and used them to prosecute the offender(s) on several occasions. Theft of bicycles is rare at the pier mainly due to your observations of the officers in a close proximity. We do specific mandated checks of the bike racks daily in an effort to reduce the incidents of theft. But, as I mentioned it only takes a few seconds and our prior experiences have shown the offenders waiting for the opportunity as they watch the security officers and public in a close vicinity.

I have recommended the use of a U-lock device to secure a bike for those I have seen victimized. It seems that this type of lock is without question one of the best deterrents. Again, I am sincerely sorry to learn that you were victimized while visiting Navy Pier. These types of thieves eventually get caught and sometimes have stockpiles of bicycles recovered when they are taken into custody. Hopefully your bike will be found in a short period of time based on your police report.

--

"We hope that your bicycle is recovered and in a timely matter."

--

I have 2 quick questions

1- Why is he saying " Hopefully your bike will be found in a short period of time based on your police report".. how the hell can I get my bike back? that looks impossible... I mean I bought it on March at Johnny Sprockets - The best bike shop in the entire universe and quite possibly the multiverse. Well...except for the one where everything is opposite. Probably not in that one. brand new! I guess there are hundres of the same bike, should I search for a unique code from the bike?

2- Can I ask to navy pier to compensate me, on something.. like giving me boat rides, I don;t know! they are somehow,partly responisble too

ps: btw am not from the states, sorry if something looks stupid or pointless.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca128 View Post
1- Why is he saying " Hopefully your bike will be found in a short period of time based on your police report".. how the hell can I get my bike back? that looks impossible... I mean I bought it on March at Johnny Sprockets - The best bike shop in the entire universe and quite possibly the multiverse. Well...except for the one where everything is opposite. Probably not in that one. brand new! I guess there are hundres of the same bike, should I search for a unique code from the bike?
Every bike has a serial number. It may be on your original receipt. If you don't have the original receipt, Johnny's (if it is the best bike shop in the multiverse) will be able to make you a copy and they should have noted the serial number - most shops do, so I'd be surprised if Johnny's doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maca128 View Post
2- Can I ask to navy pier to compensate me, on something.. like giving me boat rides, I don;t know! they are somehow,partly responisble too
Navy Pier is not responsible. Period. Not legally, nor ethically. YOU were responsible for your bike, and only you. Perhaps it's different where you are originally from, but in the U.S., both legally and ethically, no other person or entity has any responsibility for keeping your bike safe in a public place - and for all purposes of this discussion, Navy Pier is a public place. I don't mean to be rude, but you need to accept that you made a mistake (a costly, very unfortunate one, and one that I am sympathetic to), but that it was your mistake and not some other person's.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Totally agree that the owner of a bicycle has to understand that even in the most "crime free" parts of the US the mindset is such that no "public or private entity" will every really "take responsibility" for other people's property...

The thing too is a similar mindset often extends to even the technical commission of other crimes such as theft of unattended purses , baby strollers, cameras, sunglasses, phones and other commonly carried / worn personal property. Yes, if a "strong arm robbery" is in progress and you are actively figthing off the thief the contract security may intervene but even then their training / instructions are likely to call the real police and just keep the "victim" as calm as possible so that other paying customers do not flee...

That is sadly standard procedure in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago