Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,595,647 times

Advertisements

I'll always call it Cubs Park, just like I call the other place Sox Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
They aren't killing Wrigley field, they would merely be changing the name. People are still going to be pouring into the place as, it will still be the exact same stadium. Though, I do agree that they shouldn't screw with the name.
Go back and read the post I was responding to.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,370,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
News flash: the Cubs already sold the naming rights for the bleachers in 2006 to Bud Light.

Words cannot describe my thoughts.
I never noticed that the last time I was there. Geez

Old 12-24-2007, 05:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,667,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well actually that makes no sense at all. For one, the "not-hostile neighbors" outnumber the "hostile neighbors" by a wide margin, because the latter are keenly aware that Wrigley Field is almost singlehandedly responsible for what Wrigleyville (and most of Lakeview for that matter) is today. The old Comiskey Park may have been older, but it was a crumbling pit in far worse shape with awful sightlines to boot. Nobody but the most old-school die-hard Sox fans miss that place. (Not that anyone is a fan of the new place either, but that's a different matter.)

By contrast, I reiterate what I said in my first post on this subject: the reason why the Cubs have been such a successful franchise in the face of endless futility is precisely because they play in Wrigley Field. There's no other explanation for why 35,000 people are still willing to pour into the place on a September evening after they've already lot 85 games. Wrigley Field is why people drive/fly in from all over the country to go to Cubs games. There's a reason why Major League Baseball refused to let the Cubs move to the suburbs in the 80s. They knew then what has since become obvious to everyone else: You kill Wrigley Field and you kill the franchise.
People from all over the country come to Cubs games for the same reason they come to Braves games- those are the only 2 teams that were on nationwide television for decades (WGN and WTBS) and people who did not have their own teams "adopted" the Cubs and the Braves. And if they demolish Wrigley tomorrow, they will still love the Cubs win or lose. Wirgley is long past its prime and the Cubs need a future in another ballpark. And the people in Lakeview would love to see them gone. They have spent decades bitching about the traffic, the noise, parking, lights, vendors and everything else Cubs. It would be a good move for the Cubs and a good move for Lakeview.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:45 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Wrigley should have been demolished years ago. It is too small, outdated and in a crowded neighbourhood with neighbours that are hostile to it at best. I would tear it down, build a nice shiny new stadium either in the burbs or elsewhere in the city and turned that land into a strip mall or condos- whichever makes the Lakeview neighbours happy. What really should have been done years ago was to build a super ballpark for both the Sox and the Cubs (sine they never play at home the same day anyway)
They never play at home on the same day? Where have you been, on Mars?

SOX--------------------------------------------------------------------------------CUBS
Tue, 4/15 Athletics TBD MLB.TV -----------------------------------------------------Reds 7:05p MLB.TV
Tue, 4/22 Yankees TBD MLB.TV------------------------------------------------------Mets 1:20p MLB.TV
Tue, 8/5 Tigers TBD MLB.TV----------------------------------------------------------Astros MLB.TV
Wed, 8/6 Tigers TBD MLB.TV---------------------------------------------------------Astros MLB.TV
Fri, 8/8 Red Sox TBD MLB.TV---------------------------------------------------------Cardinals 1:20p MLB.TV
Sun, 8/10 Red Sox TBD MLB.TV-------------------------------------------------------Cardinals 1:20p MLB.TV
Tue, 8/19 Mariners TBD MLB.TV-------------------------------------------------------Reds 7:05p MLB.TV
Wed, 8/20 Mariners TBD MLB.TV------------------------------------------------------Reds 7:05p MLB.TV
Fri, 8/22 Rays TBD MLB.TV-----------------------------------------------------------Nationals 1:20p MLB.TV
Sat, 8/23 Rays TBD MLB.TV----------------------------------------------------------Nationals TBD MLB.TV
Sun, 8/24 Rays TBD MLB.TV----------------------------------------------------------Nationals 1:20p MLB.TV

Last edited by Avengerfire; 12-24-2007 at 11:54 PM..

Old 12-24-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
People from all over the country come to Cubs games for the same reason they come to Braves games- those are the only 2 teams that were on nationwide television for decades (WGN and WTBS) and people who did not have their own teams "adopted" the Cubs and the Braves. And if they demolish Wrigley tomorrow, they will still love the Cubs win or lose. Wirgley is long past its prime and the Cubs need a future in another ballpark. And the people in Lakeview would love to see them gone. They have spent decades bitching about the traffic, the noise, parking, lights, vendors and everything else Cubs. It would be a good move for the Cubs and a good move for Lakeview.
The area around Wrigley will drop in property value about 50%, if not more. Half those of bars and eateries on Clark will close.

As far as people from around the country or transplants still loving the Cubs after Wrigley is gone you are very wrong. Thats the only reason why 75% of the people at the games go there now-the park. Most do not care about the team.

I have been a Cub fan for over 25 years and even I would hesitate to go to the park much if it was in Schaumburg or whatever suburb.

As far as it being renamed, I might go there one time after that happens(God forbid it does),and I am done.After the strike in 1994, I did not go to a game for 4 years. So I am serious when I make this statement.

Wrigley should never be demolished. If anything it can be used for High School and College games if the Cubs want to move. Make it the Home of Northwestern baseball...There are other ways to keep it too.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,071,636 times
I agree. You can't move the park out of Wrigley. I would love getting off of work, strolling down the sidewalk to see Cubs fan lined up and down the streets. I lived 3 blocks from the field and never once complained about the traffic, parking, or Wrigleyville drunkedness. It's what makes Wrigleyville the hood that it is.

It's like renaming Chicago and expecting things to go on the same. It's more than just a franchise, a ballpark, and a team. Its a way of life.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:16 AM

33 posts, read 162,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree. You can't move the park out of Wrigley. I would love getting off of work, strolling down the sidewalk to see Cubs fan lined up and down the streets. I lived 3 blocks from the field and never once complained about the traffic, parking, or Wrigleyville drunkedness. It's what makes Wrigleyville the hood that it is.
I fully agree! I don't see how anyone--ANYONE, even non-sports fans--could even consider living in Wrigleyville if they weren't fully prepared to deal with the traffic, lights, vendors, noise, etc.

I believe this probably holds true for Wrigley, Fenway, and Yankee stadium, as well...even non-sports fans know these stadiums as household names, possibly before they learn which teams actually plays in them!

It's just too historic to demolish. In fact, it should be (should have been some time ago, actually) registered as a national landmark or historic site.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshorr View Post
I fully agree! I don't see how anyone--ANYONE, even non-sports fans--could even consider living in Wrigleyville if they weren't fully prepared to deal with the traffic, lights, vendors, noise, etc.

I believe this probably holds true for Wrigley, Fenway, and Yankee stadium, as well...even non-sports fans know these stadiums as household names, possibly before they learn which teams actually plays in them!

It's just too historic to demolish. In fact, it should be (should have been some time ago, actually) registered as a national landmark or historic site.
People that complain about Wrigley are no better than the people that moved near O'Hare anytime after 1970 or so ...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 AM

138 posts, read 512,341 times
Quote:
First off, who's flying across the country to see a Braves game? Look, you seriously just don't get it if you want to demolish Wrigley. I have gone out of my way to see games at Wrigley and Fenway, and this is coming from a New York born and raised Yankee fan. The reason- I love baseball. If you want to demolish Wrigley, you can't possibly love baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago