Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait...What View Post
Read the first three paragraphs. Inverted pyramid style. Most important stuff at the top.
No kidding. The article could have been shortened considerably. The rest of it just becomes irritating drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 7,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Forgive me if I'm pipe dreaming here, but what with the rising fortunes of Bridgeport and hopes for development between the rail tracks and the Ryan, it is possible at some point for the Cell to have a real neighborhood surrounding it and have that in common with Wrigley. of course, the old CHA tower in the outfield would probably have to go and, I imagine, much of the signage along the outfield as well.
I agree with you. Slowly goes the plow.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
....the railroad tracks aren't ever gonna move, the 35th St viaduct any every moving, the IDOT facility ain't ever moving, the Dan Ryan ain't ever gonna be decked over and the there is just no chance for a "real neighborhood" to have displace the acres of the parking lots and pedestrian ramps that is the only thing that makes the facility viable. I hope more places to eat and drink before / after the game can somehow be incorporated into either the facilites owned by the ISFA/McPier or the existing spots that could accomodate such development in the greater Bridgeport / Bronzeville area, but I won't hold my breath waitng for it.

The "rising fortunes" of Bridgeport are pretty limited too, as even the semi-ambitious plans to build infill single family homes are kinda limited by industrial parks and literal stink of BOTY...
chet, i think you misunderstood me. i wasn't talking about either rail lines being removed; i was talking about redevelopment between the two around the ballpark. that may come with or without building garages in the parking lot that was the old ball park, leaving room for retail along the north side of 35th St.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Have you been on 35th St?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
chet, i think you misunderstood me. i wasn't talking about either rail lines being removed; i was talking about redevelopment between the two around the ballpark. that may come with or without building garages in the parking lot that was the old ball park, leaving room for retail along the north side of 35th St.
Honestly from the IIT campus all the way to the IDOT facilty west of the viaduct there is probably less potential for even hotdog stands, bars and souvenir shops to be in "permanent" structures than probably any other sports facility short of Soldier Field which is essentially sandwiched by LSD and the museum campus. You'd find more support to build up retail around the Fire facility in Bridgeview...

The 35th St pedestrian overpass into the stadium and the way the bar was fitted into the ramp structure is kind of clever and it essentially operates only when needed, which frankly is true of the bars / eateries directly attached to Wrigley too. You cannot compare the amount / kind of private development in Lakeview to the very different philosophy behind the south side development. Even in places with more "integrated into the area" type stadium development the degree to which other "public amenities" are owned by the facilty authority are driving force. If you compare to other newer stadium like Milwaukee or Cleveland or dozens of others The Cell ain't bad at all, it is just never gonna have a "neighborhood feel" like Wrigley and that is not bad thing -- trying to grow some Disney version of a Wrigelyville would probably hurt both Wrigely and bring derision to ISFA...

Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
The railroad track presence is pretty strong at the Cell--conducive to tail-gaiting, but not development.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Jackie Robinson west

/thread
You got it.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:23 AM

79 posts, read 140,009 times
Well I gotta say as a sox fan it's cubs that run the city but only because their stadium and the "history" and where they located rather than how well they play.... Lol

Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollapalooza773 View Post
Well I gotta say as a sox fan it's cubs that run the city but only because their stadium and the "history" and where they located rather than how well they play.... Lol
Oh I love the excuses Sox fans make for the Cubs being more popular.

Dont forget that the Sox didnt produce a WS victory in the span of 100 years, too. You won one WS and all of a sudden you guys think youre God's gift to mankind. Lets face it, the Sox and Cubs are the two biggest losers in all of MLB (as far as WS victories and age are concerned). At least the Cubs fans fill Wrigley, unlike the Cell. Why? Not location, simply because we're loyal, and not bandwagon jumpers like Hawks and Sox fans. Simple as that.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
because we're loyal, and not bandwagon jumpers like Hawks and Sox fans. Simple as that.
Sox fans bandwagon jumpers, huh?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
At least the Cubs fans fill Wrigley, unlike the Cell.
You mean like back when they used to leave the upper deck closed for a lot of the games? When I was a kid, we used to sneak around the chain they used to close off the ramps and go up there until they made us go back down. A full Wrigley Field is a recent phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago