Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM

425 posts, read 431,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I agree, it is subjective. But you have to remember, we Bros are pretty vain, so we often measure success by one's house, car, watch, boat, etc. Therefore, for Bros at least, one's financial position is a measure of one's success in life.
Sure, successful by your own measure. That's exactly why I said "depends how you define success."

To me, using "financial position as a measure of success in life" is very small minded. It's just confirming the "business bro" stereotype.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiMT View Post
Sure, successful by your own measure. That's exactly why I said "depends how you define success."

To me, using "financial position as a measure of success in life" is very small minded. It's just confirming the "business bro" stereotype.
So, how do you define success? Why is it small minded?

Granted, there's plenty of people who don't make much money but are still happy, but there are probably a lot more people who are happy because they don't have as much financial stress in their lives.

I supposed the more you have, the more stress you have. Just like someone can be happy living in a trailer park and might define their life as 'successful' because they want for not. But for me, I wouldn't define that as successful.

It's like John Wayne said "Life is tough....it's even tougher if your stupid" (I'd substitute 'poor' for 'stupid').

Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 PM

There's a big difference between "I want to be financially stable" and "the more money I have, the more successful I am." I'm not going to spell it out here.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:26 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:

Financial position is a measure of success in our country. It's not the only measure, but it's a measure. It has nothing to do with being "shallow" or "bro"; it's just being realistic. This is coming from someone who dislikes "bros." If you think otherwise you're probably a hipster. I don't like them either, lol.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Financial position is a measure of success in our country. It's not the only measure, but it's a measure. It has nothing to do with being "shallow" or "bro"; it's just being realistic. This is coming from someone who dislikes "bros." If you think otherwise you're probably a hipster. I don't like them either, lol.
Actually it has everything to do with being narrow-minded and having a shallow view of "reality." Any individual is capable of defining success in their own way. If you choose to give this up, and instead base success on what other people (or a "country") tells you it is... that's called not being able to think very well for yourself or about your world. Which is a trait many bros and businessmen share.

I am not a "hipster," just someone with sense and sanity.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Actually it has everything to do with being narrow-minded and having a shallow view of "reality." Any individual is capable of defining success in their own way. If you choose to give this up, and instead base success on what other people (or a "country") tells you it is... that's called not being able to think very well for yourself or about your world. Which is a trait many bros and businessmen share.

Are finances part of the real world? Is money just a figment of peoples imagination? I agree with you to a point, but I think you are too far on the other end. In order to survive, you have to have money. At the end of the day, you have to make money no matter how deep and spiritual you are. So, of course, someones finances are going to be a measure of success, just like a measure of success is how content you are about your life. Different measures of success.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 PM

So is a person who takes home 60K less "successful" than a person who takes home 500K?

Without even knowing anything else about their lives?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:

I'm still waiting to hear your definition of 'success'?

"Reality", as you seem to define it, is a world where your financial standing doesn't matter. That's fine, if you want to be a pauper or aren't educated/skilled enough to make enough money to give you financial stability.
There are probably people working at McDonald's making $8 and hour who might feel successful and are happy, but if you asked 100 people if that fast food worker were successful, 85 of them would say 'no'.

So again, what's your definition of success?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
So is a person who takes home 60K less "successful" than a person who takes home 500K?

Without even knowing anything else about their lives?
I would say "absolutely!"

There are varying degrees of success.

Is McDonalds more successful than Hardees?

Are the New York Yankees more successful than the Cubs?

Is the CEO of your employer more successful than some mid-level manager at that company?

Like I said, you can work at McDonalds, live in a trailer, and struggle financially your entire life and if you're measure of success is having a job and owing a home, then in your eyes, then yes, your successful. But few others would agree.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I would say "absolutely!"

There are varying degrees of success.

Is McDonalds more successful than Hardees?

Are the New York Yankees more successful than the Cubs?

Is the CEO of your employer more successful than some mid-level manager at that company?

Like I said, you can work at McDonalds, live in a trailer, and struggle financially your entire life and if you're measure of success is having a job and owing a home, then in your eyes, then yes, your successful. But few others would agree.
Exactly. There's personal success, and there's what society thinks is successful - or what society values more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago