Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I guess we're including German Americans as WASPy?
Sometimes - there are some Germans who are definitely not WASPy - some are though. It's not right to say they all are though because it's just not true. The largest minority group in Germany last I checked were Turks too, but the ones who were born there usually consider themselves German.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
It's actually smart for a woman in a big city to not be too open and friendly while walking in the streets. She does not need to socialize while walking to the event or workplace where she ends up doing the most of her socializing. And if she's too open guys will just want to try to pick up on her. It probably gets tiring after a while.

In California it's a different story. People here are typically pleasant and friendly in superficial ways like saying "Hi" in the streets or being very friendly and smiling when you just meet them. I can see how Midwesterners and Northeasterners would pick up a "clueless" vibe from that.
Yes, true - though it actually goes beyond that I think. Many seem to not have any emotion when walking down the street. It's weird - hard to explain unless you make it a point to observe it.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:54 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. Jennifer Lopez is a good example of a PR woman who does show Amerindian characteristics. She played Selena for good reason.
JLo doesn't look Amerindian. That doesn't even make sense, as the Taino indians in Puerto Rico were wiped out like 500 years ago.

Her selection to play Selena was super-controversial, and had nothing to do with "looking Mexican". It's because she was at the peak of her popularity, and she was THE hispanic superstar in the U.S. But she would not pass for typical Mexican look.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
JLo doesn't look Amerindian. That doesn't even make sense, as the Taino indians in Puerto Rico were wiped out like 500 years ago.

Her selection to play Selena was super-controversial, and had nothing to do with "looking Mexican". It's because she was at the peak of her popularity, and she was THE hispanic superstar in the U.S. But she would not pass for typical Mexican look.
Except she actually DID resemble Selena. But that's subjective. I don't know any mulattos with high cheekbones and straight hair, but again, opinion.

Proof Puerto Ricans do INDEED have Taino bloodlines: Indigenous Puerto Rico: DNA evidence upsets established history - ICTMN.com

Another example if Roselyn Sanchez. She looks part Taina. Someone who doesn't and has a mulatta look is Rosie Perez. Other Puerto Ricans who have a partial indigenous look are Reggaetoneros Wisin and Don Omar. To think there only exists either a European or African or Mulatto type is having quite the selective vision. Rapper Fat Joe is another example of clearly visible Taino ancestry. His cheekbones and eyes give it away. No mulatto person I've ever seen looks like that.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 06-10-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sometimes - there are some Germans who are definitely not WASPy - some are though. It's not right to say they all are though because it's just not true. The largest minority group in Germany last I checked were Turks too, but the ones who were born there usually consider themselves German.
Well I doubt many Germans in the Midwest have Turkish ancestry.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
When I think "beautiful women" I don't think "Chicago." However, you have to pick your spots and locale.
At a Cubs game on a summer day? Yeah, I'd agree.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Chicago is most certainly not full of beautiful women. There are some but you can say that about anywhere. The worst thing about Chicago women is their attitudes. Many of them think they are way more attractive than they are. Even the fat ones think they are something special.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Well I doubt many Germans in the Midwest have Turkish ancestry.
Well, not the majority but there are definitely some in Chicago. The point is besides Turks anyway - there are many people who don't look WASPy who are German. My last name is German, and I look nothing close to WASPy.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago is most certainly not full of beautiful women. There are some but you can say that about anywhere. The worst thing about Chicago women is their attitudes. Many of them think they are way more attractive than they are. Even the fat ones think they are something special.
Hit the nail on the head there....on average I'd say that's true.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Judging from personal conversation, women in Chicago feel as though they get used by men so they come out of the house with boxing gloves on.

Chicago breads a tough guy type personality that can be offensive to those who don't grow up in a tough guy city. Chicagoans where dealing with gangs and violence far longer than the nation as a whole. It has always been a city of extremes.

Also the women think they are hotter than they are or that every man wants them. I don't know why but you are right on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago