U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,376,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That place where AJ's used to be, behind Huck Finn?
You got it. That place changes names/management like I change clothes but I'd recommend supporting this incarnation. The ceviche is great and their shrimp tasted like it was just caught that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,376,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
but not sure if there are magnet status schools in McKinley Park.
I've heard really wonderful things about Namaste grammar school over there. It is a newly refocused and seems to be getting a good deal of positive buzz from my teacher/social worker friends.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,221,844 times
Hopefully that article I posted was somewhat relevant to the discussion. Avenger- I didn't post the actual link because you never know if it will expire.

I too believed that the article had a "feel good" vibe to it. I shop at the Dominicks on Ashland all the time because it is close to me in Bridgeport, but other than that my experiences with McKinley Park are limited to whatever is on Ashland, Archer, or near the actual park. Unless there are some gems I don't know about, I don't have much reason to go there.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,195,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
You got it. That place changes names/management like I change clothes but I'd recommend supporting this incarnation. The ceviche is great and their shrimp tasted like it was just caught that morning.

Good shrimp eh? I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,289 times
I moved from Brighton Park to Brideport about 8 years ago. I see McKinley Park as a buffer between the decline of Brighton Park and Bridgeport. I shop at that Domincks on Ashland as well.

Those condo-conversions on 39th across from the park will help the area but more businesses are needed in that area before an upswing can occur.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 PM

760 posts, read 728,475 times
McKinley Park is a stable working class blue collar neighborhood. Think of Archie Bunker's neighborhood, or better yet "Married with Children" and "Roseanne". I don't see it changing much in the future. As others stated, there is virtually no night life.

Many years back I would go to Huck Finn's on Damen after a night out drinking. I finally went sober and realized how much the food sucked.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Many years back I would go to Huck Finn's on Damen after a night out drinking. I finally went sober and realized how much the food sucked.
The Archview is better. Or used to be anyway.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 AM

925 posts, read 1,988,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
From the Trib
Cool !

Old 01-24-2010, 04:00 AM

357 posts, read 704,290 times
I spent a little time in McKinley Park recently, and I have to agree with most of what has been said. Definitely unspectacular housing stock. Although I wonder how much that holds it back, because if the area ever did become actually hot, people would just tear it down and build what they wanted anyway. And definitely heavy-duty industry nearly surrounding the neighborhood. But part of me wonders how much of a problem that poses, loooking at Bridgeport which is surrounded by solid industry S and SW and NW, a perpetually awful neighborhood E, superhighways N and E and two big ol' (elevated) rail yards right in the middle of the neighborhood. But it never seemed to cramp Bridgeport's style that much, although it never became a hotspot in the style of the North Side.

Strengths seem to be relatively safe streets, nice park, good transportation, good location to CBD and to some somewhat interesting adjacent neighborhoods as far as nightlife/culture. Main weakness is definitely lack of commercial. There are some restaurants in the neighborhood, but if you don't want fast food, taqueria, takeout, a diner or sandwiches you're out of luck. Is there even one restaurant offering anything else? And nightlife is much sparser than even that. In an area holding 16,000 people. It's almost like a ghetto commercial environment, but without the ghetto. Definitely without the ghetto, because the crime is pretty low, it's fairly diverse, and the 2000 Census median income in McKinley Park was even a tick higher than that in Bridgeport.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Well it's a working class neighborhood Meat and the restaurants and such reflect that. Nightlife is more sitting on the stoop and talking with the neighbors or walking up to the tavern and shooting the bull with the regulars than hitting trendy spots or eating hamburgers with fried eggs on them. Which has a lot to commend it actually, generations have lived in this town like that and white collar people lived like that too, you know, before they became yuppies, when they were just regular guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago