Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,238,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you need an SUV to survive a Midwest winter in the city, thats odd. Ive known so many people with BMW 3-series that put on Blizzaks in winter and managed just fine. Heck, I knew an guy with an RX-8 that survived for years on winter tires, same goes for a coworker with a G35.
Not the city. I said driving on the freeway in a snowstorm.

Yes, obviously, there is room for disagreement. It's not even illegal, I don't think, to take a motorcycle out in a blizzard, let alone a Mazda Miata.

We all have our personal comfort levels. My near death experience in a Mustang forever altered mine. I don't really care what anyone else does as long as they don't crash into me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Like I said, mechanics, engineers, gear heads disagree vehemently. Thanks for the advice stated as fact; I grew up in Michigan and have lived here for the remainder of my life, so I have driven everything from Ford Aerostars to Tempos to Bronco IIs to Taureses to a Dodge Sunfire through Midwest winters. And I and many people I know prefer an SUV. As for you, you can enjoy your snow tires.
uhhhhh no the gearheads, mechanics, and engineers all agree with me. Winter tires were created for a reason..

Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Except hers a Mustang forum about split down the middle:

mustangs bad for winter driving? - MustangForums.com

I hope your emoticon makes you feel clever, though.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Except hers a Mustang forum about split down the middle:

mustangs bad for winter driving? - MustangForums.com

I hope your emoticon makes you feel clever, though.
It has nothing to do with emotion. It is engineering. Tires matter most in winter. If you have winter tires (engineered to be less brittle and deeper tread), you will do better than vehicles in all-seasons. Summer tires are just cheating death.

Contrary to popular belief, the Northern US just isn't that harsh of a winter especially in the flat Metro Areas with regular snow removal. A set of winter tires is all you need.

LOL, the thread is basically "Mustangs are fine in the winter with snow tires."

If the OP wants to buy a Mustang, it will be fine in a Chicago winter with snow tires. Chicago doesn't even get that much snow.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Right except here's a guy on a Mustang fan site who says you're wrong:

How to Prepare Your Mustang for Winter Driving

What you're saying doesn't even make any sense.

Big cars are safer.

4 WD is safer.

How do you think a RWD quasi muscle car is going to be safer/better in the snow than a 4 WD SUV?

Many Mustang owners put it away for winter.

How many people do you know who put an SUV away for winter?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Theres no need for an SUV in winter, thats just silly. Its helpful, but not a necessity. Besides, most SUV drivers are the idiots who cause crashes and end up in ditches because they think theyre invincible in the white stuff. All you need is a skinny set of winter tires and youll be just fine in a Mustang. Itll look dumb, but works great. Plus, when summer comes, you have a fire-breathing sports car to enjoy, and not some lame soccer mom SUV (unless you get a Cherokee SRT-8).

Old 09-17-2014, 11:23 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Theres no need for an SUV in winter, thats just silly. Its helpful, but not a necessity. Besides, most SUV drivers are the idiots who cause crashes and end up in ditches because they think theyre invincible in the white stuff. All you need is a skinny set of winter tires and youll be just fine in a Mustang. Itll look dumb, but works great. Plus, when summer comes, you have a fire-breathing sports car to enjoy, and not some lame soccer mom SUV (unless you get a Cherokee SRT-8).
Subaru with winter tires is just the best for driving in snow, up hills, and on poor roads. Not as many of those features in Chicagoland but plenty to be found in places like NH and WI (live there currently).

Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM

And here we have straw man, folks!

No one said you need an SUV. I said I, personally, would only drive or ride in a snowstorm on the freeway in one, since I was almost killed driving a Mustang that slid all over the freeway all the way from Grand Rapids to Chicago.

To each his own.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
And here we have straw man, folks!

No one said you need an SUV. I said I, personally, would only drive or ride in a snowstorm on the freeway in one, since I was almost killed driving a Mustang that slid all over the freeway all the way from Grand Rapids to Chicago.

To each his own.
And that Mustang owner probably had his stock summer tires on.

Quote:
Right except here's a guy on a Mustang fan site who says you're wrong:

How to Prepare Your Mustang for Winter Driving

What you're saying doesn't even make any sense.

Big cars are safer.

4 WD is safer.

How do you think a RWD quasi muscle car is going to be safer/better in the snow than a 4 WD SUV?

Many Mustang owners put it away for winter.

How many people do you know who put an SUV away for winter?
What I'm saying makes perfect sense. In winter, you use winter tires.

Contary to popular belief, a RWD sports car just isn't a death sentence in winter if it is equipped with snow tires. I see Mustangs with steelies and snows all the time.

And to answer your question - yes, a Mustang with winter tires is better in snow than a 4WD SUV with all seasons. It comes down to tread depth, contact area, and tread compounds. If the tires are the same, the SUV is better. Snow tires > all season tires > summer tires for winter driving. Period.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 PM

For the OP (so we don't get off topic), this is what you do:

Find the bolt pattern for your Mustang, and browse other vehicles (usually manufacturers have the same pattern across most of their cars of the size). Most base model cars come equipped with steel wheels and hubcaps. All you need to do is find a wheel you can get to fit the Mustang. Find the smallest wheel size that will clear your calipers (your service department can help you with this). From there, go to tire rack and they have information regarding alternative tire sizes for your Mustang. You want to keep the loaded tire diameter equal so not to throw off the speedometer / odometer.

Also, check a Mustang forum. They probably have this all figured out. Our neighbors to the North in Canada have mandatory winter tire requirements in some provinces.

The reason for the second set of wheels is because it is more economical. Unmounting / mounting twice per year will end up being pricey and is not recommended for tire integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago