Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:14 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,713 times

Advertisements

So Chicago seems to remain at the top of the list of cities I want to move to, but these two things are holding me back, the crime more so than the weather. I've lived in NYC and the weather didn't bother me at all, but I know Chicago's weather is worse. The crime in NYC definitely bothered me. I was mugged twice and I think at least five random strangers picked fights with me while I was there. It'd definitely bother me if Chicago was worse in that area.

So what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM

125 posts, read 172,565 times
Weather yes, crime no - unless you are hanging out in bad areas or looking for trouble.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM

575 posts, read 616,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
Weather yes, crime no - unless you are hanging out in bad areas or looking for trouble.
exactly

Old 09-11-2014, 08:33 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Weather compared to what? Chicago's average low temps are about 3 or 4 degrees colder than NYC for Nov-March, but otherwise isn't any different.

As others noted, crime isn't bad if you aren't in a gang or dealing drugs on a corner. I've been in Chicago for over 20 years with almost no problems (car and garage were broken into once, that's it).

Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
no and no

Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
So, all the kids shot on playgrounds or in their living rooms by stray bullets were looking for trouble?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 AM

15 posts, read 21,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
So, all the kids shot on playgrounds or in their living rooms by stray bullets were looking for trouble?
NO, but they were not living in the best area... (Parks are a different story.)

Old 09-11-2014, 10:22 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
As noted, this happens in areas that aren't that great, and frequently the innocent kids who get shot are living in a house with the intended target of the shooting (frequently their brother or father). And while shootings like that are truly tragic, they also account for a very small percentage of shootings or homicides in the city.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:39 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
If you believe the University of Chicago, 1 in 5 youths killed in shootings are innocent bystanders. I wouldn't call that a very small number. That doesn't include injuries, or adults killed or injured.

No more 'courtesy' in gang shootings

Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Been here 13 years living in the city, no car, on public transit every day and walking all over. Never been the victim of a crime and I don't even think I know anyone who's been the victim of a violent crime other than maybe someone getting in a drunk fight.

If you're a rational person moving to the city and living in a decent neighborhood, you're fine. Most people shot and killed are those living in pretty terrible areas on the west and south sides, and most of them, innocent or gangbangers, were all born into those areas and it's where they grew up.

For a person who grew up, got their life in order and then moved to Chicago as a transplant, your chances of being a victim are very very small, as that's just not the demographic that sees the rage of the violence in this city. 95% of the people in the city have never been shot, but of those who have been, it's absolutely incredible how many of them have been shot multiple times. I remember in a story on a shooting death a few weeks ago, it was reported that it was the third time the victim had been shot in recent years, the 2nd time was just a few weeks prior. Also the number of families who have lost multiple members to gun violence. Certainly two sides to the city, that of routine violence in the same areas and the same families, and the vast majority who would know nothing of any of it if it werent' for the news.

Winters are tough, but unless you're very naive and love walking through gang territory flashing money and drugs - don't lose sleep over being the victim of a violent crime. Anything can happen, but the odds are on your side if you at least take everyday precaution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago