Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 PM

525 posts, read 815,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I had a gay couple next door neighbor who were really good guys, enjoyed talking to them, having the occasional drink, etc, but I definitely would not want one of them as a roommate.
Does that make me a homophobe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
yes
I could see that if the that gay couple was married or engaged and roommate preferred people did not have sex in his house, just as with straight, but even then its not like they can't do it in their own room and do it quietly. However its different and pretty much homophobic if that couple is unrelated and someone would not live even with a single gay person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I thought we were all supposed to be enlightened now and accepting of everyone else's opinion?
Well that would be dumb. Are you accepting of the opinions of Nazis? Or ISIS? I'm certainly not.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Not wanting to associate with someone just because of the color of their skin is pretty much objectively racist.
There are practical reasons why a person wants to live with someone who they want to know upfront whether they are gay or straight - for one thing -

if they are gay, they would like to know if a person is straight - in the past they may have had problems feeling free to come out and be themselves, they might feel freer with their own kind.

gay people have a culture oftentimes unique to their culture, they wish to live with their own kind. this is not racist, it is what it is.

even with people of color or no color, same thing goes. people want to live with the people that makes them feel more comfortable, like the people they grew up with (sentimental) or a whole number of reasons, i.e. I grew up in a Polish neighborhood, perhaps I search for that same neighborhood so I don't have to go far to get Polish cuisine.

so many things go into a person's preferences, that it is not a bad thing. Only you who try to dictate others preferences read something bad into it. but you are the one who is demanding others must fall into your little box of what is right and wrong for the rest of the world.

In any case, call me or the OP what you want, I will choose to live where I want, you will fling nasty words at me, doesn't matter, you don't pay my rent and I am happy where I choose to live! yay me!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
People are people. People have prejudices. It's always been that way and always will.

Having a roommate is a business agreement. Sexual orientation only need to be discussed if other personal and lifestyle choices indicates a conflict before signing a lease.

If you have someone who wants to party every night with strippers hanging from the ceiling fans, sexual orientation does need to be discussed.

If you have two quiet, busy professionals or traveling executives rooming together sexual orientation probably wouldn't matter.

Compatibility issues trump race and age when interviewing roommates. Race is no indicator of ones cleanliness, party mode, ability to pay rent or lifestyle choices. So I can't think of any situation where age and race should be a consideration when looking at a roommates eligibility.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:56 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Theres a lot of reasons two people living together that make compatibility very important which mjtinmemphis mentioned above. Each roommate has to make a decision together, just like going for a job but worse, because at least at a job you get to leave each other at the end of the day, but if you have to go home to a place where you don't get along its not a great situation.

So for me, you cannot be concerned at all about being politically correct - you have to be compatible, and if something is important to you it is a preference and if you are not honest with yourself it will bite you both in the butt later, and now, resentment and bitterness can build. and well goes diversity with that experiment!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:58 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
People are people. People have prejudices. It's always been that way and always will.

Having a roommate is a business agreement. Sexual orientation only need to be discussed if other personal and lifestyle choices indicates a conflict before signing a lease.

If you have someone who wants to party every night with strippers hanging from the ceiling fans, sexual orientation does need to be discussed.

If you have two quiet, busy professionals or traveling executives rooming together sexual orientation probably wouldn't matter.

Compatibility issues trump race and age when interviewing roommates. Race is no indicator of ones cleanliness, party mode, ability to pay rent or lifestyle choices. So I can't think of any situation where age and race should be a consideration when looking at a roommates eligibility.
I can definitely see where age is a consideration. A person that's older will most likely want a roommate that is older and more mature. Too much of an age gap can be a problem.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It should be a bastion of liberal acceptance.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
I was being sarcastic, obviously.
It's not obvious at all to someone like Lookout Kid who has read these forums a lot.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Oh, brother. Come on now. This answer is obvious. Chicago is one of the most liberal cities in the world. Outside of Chicago, like in the suburbs, it may be a bit different, but overall, being gay is cool around here.
So the south side of the city has no problems with homophobia but damn those suburbanites?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
So, if you prefer to have roommates of the same sex, is that sexism?

What about roommates of a certain age? Ageism?

What about roommates who have a job? Workism?

Give me an F'in break. Just because you're white and prefer to live with another white person, you're a racist? Good Lord.......
All of these examples are determinant of a person's character. Race is not.

The same age means someone is at the same stage of life as you. The same gender means you have the same body parts and you might be paranoid about your roommate accidentally seeing them (or whatever). Same job means you come from the same walk of life.

Someone of a different race than you can, believe it or not, can come from the same walk of life as you and be and have whatever it is you're seeking in a roommate. The problem with refusing to live to live with someone of a different race is that no one chooses the race they're born as. But the American dream states that anyone can be anything they want to be, right?

The same CAN be argued for gender but like I said, different body parts. Some people are self-conscious. On that note, if a woman has no problem with a gay male roommates but they do straight male roommates, so what? All of these things ARE just preference. But saying "I refuse to live with someone of a different race" is racist and asinine. And that's because a person's race alone shouldn't bear any relevance in this situation.

Yeah, I just thought about that way too hard. Common sense? lol.

Last edited by urza216; 09-30-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago