Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM

19 posts, read 21,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
Yep, that's another reason why I wouldn't recommend Andersonville. Very cute area, but so far from ALL the other areas everyone on this thread is noting as "trendy".

Yeah, OP may be different from my friend, but I'd assume most single women in their 30s would want to be in an area dominated with single men in similar situations, not older gay men. Especially if said area is super far from all the "trendy" areas of the city.
LOL, yeah single straight men would be better but as I said I love diversity so I am open to any area that has that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In terms of trendiness, the western areas around UK Village, Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc are much better and most of it is cheaper than an Old Town or Lincoln Park. Old Town I would call more quaint, not trendy (though there's a little bit of trend there).
Thank you so much, I replied in another message. I am brand new to this so still trying to get the hang of this site LOL

Old 10-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised about UK Village area - it's hot, though there are some 2 bedrooms for not much more expensive than that (like $1100). That's good for your 33 year old friend but everyone is different. The OP may be very much different than your friend.

"Far north" is very relative. What if you don't live in the Loop and don't care to go downtown? People need to remember this. If you want Chicago to advance as a more versatile city in where things happen, you need to stop thinking so Loop/downtown-Centric.

As far as I'm concerned, the best areas for the OP would be UK Village area and Logan Square, but I don't think that the other ones listed are bad either. They're less hip, but since the OP has a limited budget, these are the best they're going to get most likely.
I was thinking about Logan Square I have been checking a lot of apartments in that area. Thank you

Old 10-04-2014, 05:39 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,335,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lng81 View Post
Thank you, yeah I heard Lincoln Park is more so for early 20's not so much my scene anymore. I have been looking on Craigslist however I just didn't know what was good deals and where to start. It is a little overwhelming. You all have been so helpful
Keep in mind that Lincoln Park is huge, so you are really restricting your search and leaving out a prime area of the city if you totally rule out all of it. There are plenty of people in their 30's there. Close to the lakefront and south of Depaul are good areas for someone like you. I would just be open minded about it and not totally rule it out. Lakeview and Lincoln Park take up a HUGE majority of the affordable trendy areas of the city. All that is really left is Bucktown/Wicker Park, Old Town (small area), and Southport Corridor (small area).

Old 10-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Keep in mind that Lincoln Park is huge, so you are really restricting your search and leaving out a prime area of the city if you totally rule out all of it. There are plenty of people in their 30's there. Close to the lakefront and south of Depaul are good areas for someone like you. I would just be open minded about it and not totally rule it out. Lakeview and Lincoln Park take up a HUGE majority of the affordable trendy areas of the city. All that is really left is Bucktown/Wicker Park, Old Town (small area), and Southport Corridor (small area).
Thank you so much, I will keep that in mind

Old 10-04-2014, 06:04 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,879,094 times
Quote:
^ Can't tell if that's serious - it's not bad but...there's better places on that budget for the OP.
Unless you're a cop or a fireman with an Italian or Irish last name...Edison Park is a terrible idea. Completely safe and kind of pretty but you won't meet anyone with whom you have anyone in common. And talk about far north...it's basically in suburbia, with a Chicago address.

>Lakeview and Lincoln Park take up a HUGE majority of the affordable trendy areas of the city. All that is really left is Bucktown/Wicker Park, Old Town (small area), and Southport Corridor (small area).

This may have been true in 1990 but things have changed. Lincoln Square, Andersonville, Ravenswood, North Center, Roscoe, Ukrainian Village, and most of Logan Square are all fine.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Unless you're a cop or a fireman with an Italian or Irish last name...Edison Park is a terrible idea. Completely safe and kind of pretty but you won't meet anyone with whom you have anyone in common. And talk about far north...it's basically in suburbia, with a Chicago address.

>Lakeview and Lincoln Park take up a HUGE majority of the affordable trendy areas of the city. All that is really left is Bucktown/Wicker Park, Old Town (small area), and Southport Corridor (small area).

This may have been true in 1990 but things have changed. Lincoln Square, Andersonville, Ravenswood, North Center, Roscoe, Ukrainian Village, and most of Logan Square are all fine.
lol no cop or fireman...I am Italian and irish however as well as Cherokee Indian, Spaniard, German and Sweedish and probably more. I am always told I look Puerto Rican...I guess a dark complected white girl LOL I think I mostly lived in predominatly African American areas and have fit in fine. I think I can fit in about anywhere. I kind of keep to myself. Again I do like a diverse area however. Thanks for the reply

Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 PM

265 posts, read 402,753 times
Quote:
I've heard Edison Park is like the Beverly of the north side. From your description, it sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lng81 View Post
@marothisu, I actually would like to live in a trendy area. I guess what I mean is I didn't want to be in a area around tons of bars. I actually would like a ethnic blend community and hey I love gay guys so no problem there...LOL @Carson, the reason I was going so low is because I like to spend money, shopping etc...LOL I think my income will probably be around 40k once I get back into sales in about a year I am looking between 50-100k I have no outstanding debt and I own my own car. Living in Indianapolis to get in a decent area you are looking around 800 downtown can be 2k or more. There is a lot of very dangerous area in Indy per capita its worse then Chicago. I have lived in bad neighborhoods before and as being a single female I don't want to put myself in that spot. Modertly safe is fine too. It doesn't have to be the best area. In Indy you have to drive everywhere so that is about $60 a week in gas. I know with the public transit that will save me some money there. I have also noticed in a lot of places that utilities are covered there, that is not the case here...so I am sure I can increase the budget if need be. Thank you both so much for your help!!
Hey I LOVE the gays too, but Andersonville is the older boystown of the north IMO. It's a little pricey too and map it - far away from a lot of other neighborhoods.

Based on your description above, Albany Park and Avondale both come to mind (maybe even Pilsen). Check them out on Craigslist, too.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
I've heard Edison Park is like the Beverly of the north side. From your description, it sounds about right

Hey I LOVE the gays too, but Andersonville is the older boystown of the north IMO. It's a little pricey too and map it - far away from a lot of other neighborhoods.

Based on your description above, Albany Park and Avondale both come to mind (maybe even Pilsen). Check them out on Craigslist, too.
thank you so much!!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 08:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,335,970 times
Quote:

No. Those areas are NOT trendy. I don't know anyone who lives there or desires to live there or even visit those areas on weekends. I consider those areas dull. I had a friend who lived in ravens wood once and he would always want to come down by me to hang out because it was so dull up there. He eventually upgraded and moved to Lincoln park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago