Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times

Advertisements

I noticed it too.

BTW I know this post is 2 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 PM

575 posts, read 610,060 times
I have always thought the area just south of the city has a lot of severe weather. I read somewhere that that is an actual thing. Cool weather from the lake collides with warm weather coming from the south. But I can't find the article now.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,349,402 times
I grew up in Hyde Park and now live in Beverly and just from my experience, this seems true (about more severe weather further south). In particular, I don't remember feeling like we had to be careful about going outside during wind storms when I lived in Hyde Park, but now when there's a wind advisory, I take it seriously. HOWEVER, approximately 20 years went by between living in HP and living in Beverly, so it could also be an overall weather-pattern shift.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,154,312 times
"Lake Michigan influences the climate of Chicago and most of northeastern Illinois. The large thermal mass of the lake tends to moderate temperatures, causing cooler summers and warmer winters. One of the major benefits is cool lake breezes that provide some relief from summer heat. The lake also tends to increase cloudiness in the area and suppress summer precipitation. "

Climate of Chicago - Description, Illinois State Climatologist Office, Illinois State Water Survey, U of I

Maybe?

Old 04-23-2016, 01:10 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,541,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
"Lake Michigan influences the climate of Chicago and most of northeastern Illinois. The large thermal mass of the lake tends to moderate temperatures, causing cooler summers and warmer winters. One of the major benefits is cool lake breezes that provide some relief from summer heat. The lake also tends to increase cloudiness in the area and suppress summer precipitation. "

Climate of Chicago - Description, Illinois State Climatologist Office, Illinois State Water Survey, U of I

Maybe?

Definitely. You can see that entire process here. It would be easy to assume that if the conditions are similar as a storm system passes, at the very least the lakes will disrupt the storms if not completely dissolve them.

Great Lakes Water Temperatures: Cold! « CIMSS Satellite Blog

Old 04-23-2016, 01:31 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,948,464 times
Old thread, but I asked myself the same question 25 years ago after the Plainfield F5. That deadly storm paralleled the shoreline, 50 miles inland.

The above satellite shows lake breeze storms developing, a localized phenomenon that rarely generates severe weather. However, thunderstorms act in somewhat the same fashion. As they approach cooler waters, updrafts draw in cooler air temps at low levels. This slows the heat exchange process necessary to maintain strength, similar to hurricanes needing warm water.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:06 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
The lake also tends to increase cloudiness in the area and suppress summer precipitation.
Ehhh... You don't know "cloudiness" until you've lived in Cleveland. I'd forgotten how gloomy winters are here. Chicago is like sunny California in comparison.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:12 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,363,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I've been wondering this for the many years I've lived here as I'm a huge fan of thudnerstorms. Is there some sort of meteorological explanation (the lake maybe?) for the fact that nearly every time a storm system heads towards the Chicago area, it ends up breaking up right before it hits the city? The top half will break off and head upwards towards Wisconsin and mid-northern Michigan, the bottom half will head just southeast of us. I've noticed this happens at least half of the time a storm system heads in our direction; storms frequently circumvent the city.

Take today for example: the weather told us we had a 60%-90% chance of storms from 4-7pm. Low and behold the storm seems to be breaking up and we've only gotten light rain thus far. I know it seems trivial, but am I the only one to notice this pattern? I feel like Southern Wisconsin and Western Illinois get all the storms
The storms are scared they'll be shot.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:11 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I've been wondering this for the many years I've lived here as I'm a huge fan of thudnerstorms. Is there some sort of meteorological explanation (the lake maybe?) for the fact that nearly every time a storm system heads towards the Chicago area, it ends up breaking up right before it hits the city? The top half will break off and head upwards towards Wisconsin and mid-northern Michigan, the bottom half will head just southeast of us. I've noticed this happens at least half of the time a storm system heads in our direction; storms frequently circumvent the city.

Take today for example: the weather told us we had a 60%-90% chance of storms from 4-7pm. Low and behold the storm seems to be breaking up and we've only gotten light rain thus far. I know it seems trivial, but am I the only one to notice this pattern? I feel like Southern Wisconsin and Western Illinois get all the storms
God loves this city.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM

4,497 posts, read 4,992,137 times
Because Chicago is already as disaster, it doesn't need Mother Natures help !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago