Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 PM

70 posts, read 117,053 times

Advertisements

Im moving back to Chicago soon and am interested in Albany park. I know its one of the most diverse neighborhoods but anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:09 PM

905 posts, read 790,974 times
Kind of boring and moderately dangerous. Relatively cheap. I got out.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:04 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Kind of boring and moderately dangerous. Relatively cheap. I got out.
Lived here for three years, just bought a condo in the neighborhood a few months back. My wife and I have not had any issues personally relating to crime. Besides the occassional robbery or break in I think only a very small percentage of crime in Albany Park is 'random.' The boring comment is certainly relative but I will be the first to admit its not as exciting as neighborhoods closer to the lake. Proximity to public transit and relatively inexpensive are what sold me and my wife on staying here instead of looking at other neighborhoods.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 PM

332 posts, read 525,014 times
I like Albany Park a lot. Just wish it was closer to the lake. Does anybody know if that Huddle House breakfast place by the Kimball brown line stop is still open? Good little greasy spoon :-)

Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Albany Park is cool if you like a relaxed vibe and different cultures. I have to laugh at "moderately dangerous" - not really. Not the #1 safest part of town but it's far from dangerous unless you're running with a gang (but in that case, anywhere could be dangerous right?). There's a lot of different cultures there and a good amount of different foods. It's one of the most diverse places in town really. It's pretty quiet, but not sparse or anything.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:38 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Proximity to the brown line is a big plus. It's cheaper than it's neighbor to the east, Lincoln Square. I would live in LS if I could, but when I do move to the city, I will be looking in Albany Park. There's a great bahn mi place called Nhu Lan at 2612 W. Lawrence. I'm not sure which neighborhood that is officially, but it's one of those two.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 AM

749 posts, read 580,342 times
It is ethnically very diverse, and increasingly more Asians (Koreans) and Arab, depending on the street
and location. It is an old neighborhood with old houses and buildings. Bus service is okay. Much shopping and small inexpensive restaurants.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Proximity to the brown line is a big plus. It's cheaper than it's neighbor to the east, Lincoln Square. I would live in LS if I could, but when I do move to the city, I will be looking in Albany Park. There's a great bahn mi place called Nhu Lan at 2612 W. Lawrence. I'm not sure which neighborhood that is officially, but it's one of those two.
That place is great. It's in LS. The river is the border of Albany Park and Lincoln Square. Ravenwood Manor is in Albany Park and it's beautiful.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
I like Albany Park a lot. Just wish it was closer to the lake. Does anybody know if that Huddle House breakfast place by the Kimball brown line stop is still open? Good little greasy spoon :-)
Huddle House is still open. I've been here three years and have yet to go there though.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
It is ethnically very diverse, and increasingly more Asians (Koreans) and Arab, depending on the street
and location. It is an old neighborhood with old houses and buildings. Bus service is okay. Much shopping and small inexpensive restaurants.
It is not "increasingly" Korean; they've been filtering out of the neighborhood for decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago