Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times

Advertisements

I do hope that they improve Roseland and that area, that area is historic and should be kept up.. maybe that's the next hot area! plus its like a couple blocks from the Metra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 12:48 PM

596 posts, read 814,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Why does it have to gentrify for you to live there? Where do you see the current residents going? Would that be good or bad for them? Do you even care?
Gentrification happens whether you like it or not. Why should I care if someone that I don't know can't afford to live in a neighborhood that's improving? Is it my responsibility to try to save them?

Old 11-18-2014, 12:57 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
So most Black gangs shoot Black gangs and most Hispanic gangs shoot Hispanic gangs.

There's only been about 2 cases that I've seen interracial-shooting, and both of them were Latin Kings.

1 was on the news maybe less than a year ago by Bowen High School in South Chicago neighborhood when a Latin King shot a Black P. Stone. I think both were high schoolers.

Another was when a Latin King shot at someone at a drive-by, they didn't say the race of the victims, but they said what they shouted "GD killers!" so presumably the victim was Black.

Otherwise most gangs shoot within their race.
True as far as it goes. But doubting OP is in one of the last remnants of white gangs still out there so guessing this is not a concern. Stats would be interesting, the media is biased towards the sensationalistic.

This is worth a read:

Curious City: Why half of Chicago’s white kids don’t go to CPS and why it matters | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,156 times
I've recently wondered if there was an article that follows what I preach.

So to recap, Chicago may roughly be 1/3rd White, Black, and Hispanic, but the 1/3rd White are largely skewed by age range. Not too many school-aged Whites live in Chicago.

If you ride the Red Line on the North side, and you see all those White college students crowding the trains Friday nights and such, from Loyola and DePaul, almost none of them grew up in Chicago. A bunch of the are from out-of-state.

I mean, when you go to bars and meet White people, so many White people are from places like Ohio. Almost none are native to Chicago.

It seems by the time they White people want to have kids, they relocate to the burbs.

Even the CTA trains and buses are a great place to meet high schoolers Hispanic and Black students, I almost never see White students on the CTA.

So a lot of times when you go to North avenue beach in the summer times, most of the White people there either live in the burbs, or living in dorms for the college students, and as for the ones that live in Chicago in the condos, they didn't grew up in Chicago.

You know, whenever I ask a White or Asian teen in Chicago in a Hispanic-enough neighborhood "What are the gangs around here?" they're guaranteed to not know the answer, even if they live in that neighborhood

Although often Hispanic teens may not know the Black gang territories in Black neighborhoods, and Black teens may not know the Hispanic gangs in the Hispanic neighborhoods, they do tend to have an idea for the gangs in their neighborhoods.

Basically people don't tend to have much friends outside their races.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,156 times
Oh yeah, and I'm sure I've said this before. Between Hispanic women and White women, Hispanic women are always more receptive to being approached and talk to, even though I am a White person myself.

I don't have a driver's license and state ID. So when I go to Chase bank in downtown to pay my Chase credit card, from my Chase account, I use a school ID. With White employees, they freak out, they do the "Sorry, it must be a government ID." I mean, it's cold weather, I take my hoodie off when I walk in the bank, and you get this cold service.

Then I go to a Chase bank in a Hispanic neighborhood (Brighton Park) and they gladly take my school ID, and I get warm customer service.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
That seems kind of simplistic. If you play around with that map you'll actually see that there are many schools on the North side that have no majority. Diversity was a selling point for my kid's school (Hamilton: White: 28%, Black: 30%, Hispanic: 36%, Asian: 5%) and I grew up with friends with all kinds of backgrounds.

To the OP's query, the challenge/issue is he doesn't seem to actually want diversity, at least not economically speaking. He seems to want mostly like the physical nature of the area as it reminds him of home and he is willing to hang in there while more gentrifiers show up.

Not the worst thing in the world, I suppose - but the neighbors will figure out that he's an outsider uninterested in assimilating sooner or later.

And there are loads of native white people in Chicago - we may be avoiding the bars of which you speak because we don't want to hang around with homogenous suburban Big Ten types any more than the homogenous Big Ten suburban types want to hang out with us.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Not sure when your kid went to Hamilton but the demographics sure have shifted in the intervening years.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,865,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not sure when your kid went to Hamilton but the demographics sure have shifted in the intervening years.
Meaning…? It's been a white neighborhood for as long as I can remember. (School demographics don't always correspond to neighborhood demographics.)

Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Meaning the demographics have shifted in the intervening years. There's no sinister sub-text here.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM

498 posts, read 718,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Even the CTA trains and buses are a great place to meet high schoolers Hispanic and Black students
Should we be worried?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago