Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times

Advertisements

Ha. I've had a few friends who fly all the time go to the wrong airport as well. They got so use to flying they just started "assuming" things. Yeah, they only made that mistake once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,118,068 times
United once flew me into O'Hare when my car was at Midway. They gave me a bus ticket to Midway (this was before the Orange line) and I sent it back to them with a rude suggestion. I continued to raise a big stink and they gave me a free ticket.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Midway is at 55th and Cicero. Which means that there is no expressway closer than two miles or so and that if a plane misses the runway it lands in someone's rec room.
Either that or they overshoot the runway and end up on top of somebody's car on 63rd Street (http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/images/1134152928788_2.jpg - broken link). I can only guess how much pilots hate that airport.

To get a feel for how small that airport is, click on this satellite image of O'Hare and do some quick alt-tab switching between it and this satellite image of Midway -- and keep in mind that these two images are to the exact same scale. It's amazing commercial aircraft still come and go out of Midway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Both O'Hare and Midway are within city limits although they had to annex a narrow strip of land to connect the city to O'Hare. However, Norridge is a muniicipality totally surrounded by the city of Chicago but is a different city. Just take that last tidbit on faith.
Sorta. Norridge shares a lot of its border with Harwood Heights, and the two taken together are surrounded by the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I didn't know United had any flights out of Midway.
They don't any more but they used to. The only "major" non-discount carriers still flying out of Midway are Delta and American. (Is Northwest still considered a major carrier?)

Last edited by Drover; 01-03-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,244 times
I once heard that the property ownership rights were in question. It seems that Summit or maybe Argo once laid claim to the land. I thought that they never really figured out when Chicago took over the land. Maybe someone could clarify.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,790,937 times
Summit is no where near there, and there is no town of "Argo". The border of Bedford Park is 65th St. so it is still 2 blocks away. I used to be a Bedford Park Police Officer so we know the borders well. There has never been any land conflict. The only conflict is some rental car companies wanted to open in Bedford (bigger land and less taxes on their facility) and Daley threw a fit because he didn't want to lose revenue. He then told the rental car companies that they wouldn't be able to service Midway so they backed out. The Hotel complex at 65th/Cicero is actually Bedford, but they use Chicago in their address so that way they get more bookings because most travelers would not know it's a direct border.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Obviously, I didn't realize they did either. I just checked the Midway website and apparently United doesn't fly from Midway anymore. This event occurred over ten years ago.
It hasn't been that long ago.

In 2003, some genius at United decided that they needed a "discount" airline to compete with Southwest. So "Ted" was born and they began to fly out of Midway believing that Southwest passengers would flock over to the new product.

I flew them once and it looked like a SNL skit. Three United flight attendants with forced smiles pretending to be Southwest FAs and stating how much better their service was. It was SO bad that a number of passengers were laughing at the whole charade.

Eventually, Ted went away and United had a limited number of flight out of Midway until 2007 or 2008

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
Summit is no where near there, and there is no town of "Argo"...
Summit is right on the other side of Harlem. (I mean that is not that far from Midway at all-at least in my mind.)

I think the area including parts of Chicago down there used to be a town called Argo that was dissolved.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-01-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 PM

265 posts, read 870,708 times
I know that there was an Argo High School back in the 60's. We played them each year in football. Not sure about the town though.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I know that there was an Argo High School back in the 60's. We played them each year in football. Not sure about the town though.
There is Argo Community High School in Summit.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
A lot of maps list Summit as "Summit Argo." Which I'd never heard of until I started seeing it on maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago