Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,740,409 times

Advertisements

The snow is coming.....

I wanna know how you ladies dress in the winter? Particularly what are you wearing shoe-wise during the week on your way to work?

I ask because I've been considering buying a pair of cute winter boots that are also weatherproof. I wanted an 'all inclusive boot'...something I can wear outside while walking to/from the train, but leave on when I get to work. Hence the reason why I'm looking for something cute AND weatherproof. The ones I'm looking at are SO expensive that I'd HAVE to be able to wear them inside and outside.

But then I thought about it and it seems silly to do this because any boot I wear outside I'm not going to want to wear all day at work too. It seems I would 'have' to take them off (and wipe them down briefly) and change into more work appropriate shoes, as it is really hard finding weatherproof boots that still translate well with business professional attire

I'm used to carrying my work shoes with me during warmer weather but was hoping come winter I wouldn't have to change out of big boots when I get to work.

For instance, when you ladies wear slacks to work and it's snowing, what kind of boots do you wear? I have a pair of knee high North Face boots and they are amazing, but tucking my slacks inside of them means wrinkled up pants once I change out of these snow boots at work. And if its cold enough to wear my North Face boots, a dress isn't really practical.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM

21 posts, read 24,429 times
When I went to China during the winter, I packed waterproof boots with rubber wedge heels. I think Sorrel boots were really cute and practical. Anthropologie - Search

For pants, I'd wear fleece lined leggings underneath velvet or wool skinnies tucked into boots.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,798 times
I have finally invested in high quality boots that are warm, attractive, comfortable, and can cross from outside to inside. I also have a flat heeled pair and a pair with a heel/wedge.

The easiest solution in winter is to move to skirts/dresses, and fleece tights, and knee high good boots.

I wait for the sales and then buy the best quality boots I can find at deep discount. For warmth and quality I love La Canadienne, and also have some Aquitaine. Durable, waterproof, stylish. I then care for them by cleaning them regularly and carefully and re-apply waterproofing treatments every year. They will last me many many years, as I treat them well. I also have a pair of cheap, shorter, uglier boots for casual/weekend wear.

If you are fortunate and have a place to change out of outdoor wear and just wear boots for commuting and keep all of your work shoes at work, then that is of course a great option. I don't have that, unfortunately. But I would not carry shoes every day to work even if I did. Just leave several pairs of shoes at work if you can. Under your desk, in a drawer, in a closet.... You're not wearing heals around the house right? Why not leave them at work?

Tucking pants into boots or trying to wear them over boots often doesn't end well, for reasons you mentioned. Knee high boots, coat to your knee, fleece tights.... skirts.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:55 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,375,471 times
I agree with previous posts recommending Sorel and La Canadienne brands as they are warm, waterproof, and (some) are fashionable.

I will recommend another brand - Oscar (made in Italy) Oscar Sport Fur Boots
CALZATURIFICIO OSCAR SPORT S.R.L. - Princess Kate wears Oscar aprs ski boots manufactured in Montebelluna

I'm not sure what retail stores carry them but I often see them in ski pro shops as apres-ski attire (but they have a more stream-lined, less furry, "sport" line as well). I own a few pair and they are super warm (sheep/goat fur lined) and I get a lot of compliments on them. The fur is also very water/snow resistant and they have a good thick rubber, non-slip sole. They are also very durable - I have had mine for years and wear them all the time.

p.s. This article shows the exact Oscar boot I have, which was also worn by Kate Middleton - but I had it first - lol....

http://whatkatewore.com/2013/03/04/w...-irish-guards/

Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I'd skip the idea of getting boots that are for both inside and outside. I've always changed into shoes when getting to work, either by leaving a pair there or bringing them in my tote with me. Most boots that look good indoors with outfits are what are called "fashion boots" and are not good in snowy sllushy weathter. They will quickly be full of salt stains.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Just don't get boots that have heels on them they are useless in the winter weather and cost should not be an issue if the boots are practical and functional for inside work or outside walking.
I have a pair of boots that are good either way but I am not a fashion follower so if I wear a skirt I will keep my boots on no matter what anyone else thinks. If I am at work I am there to work not make sure my feet look cute.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
Dont get the "peek toe" boots they are the ones where they are boots with the toe part cut out of the boot so that your toes show

Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 PM

56 posts, read 77,845 times
Ugg finally makes a pretty decent weather-proof boot that I invested in last year. But I still change when I get to the office.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I can't imagine wearing serious outdoor boots all day inside - my feet get hot in boots intended to be warm in this kind of weather.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
I only wear skirts and dresses, so i wear flats, boots, tennis shoes in winter. My shoes dont really change, well the boots do but they just go shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago