Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,630,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
So, not all Chicago's Northside is desirable. From what I am hearing about the reputation of Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Uptown, sounds like the Northside has its problems (gang) just like the Southside and Westside. Maybe not to the same extent, I guess.
There are gangs in every neighborhood of Chicago. It is a big city with big city problems. But no, not to the same extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,669,979 times
Quote:
So, not all Chicago's Northside is desirable. From what I am hearing about the reputation of Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Uptown, sounds like the Northside has its problems (gang) just like the Southside and Westside. Maybe not to the same extent, I guess.
Edgewater is actually very safe. So is most of Uptown. Of the three Rogers Park has the most issues. You have to remember there a lot of idiots on city data.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:04 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,630,632 times
The truly bad areas of the city you do not just accidentally wind up in, and if you do you realize it pretty quickly.

Also for anyone whos interested in what Uptown used to be like (and in some ways still is), I highly recommend buying this man's book (or just skimming the photographs. they are phenomenal)

http://bobrehak.com/wordpress/portfolio-2/documentary/

Old 11-13-2014, 01:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
"The poor".

People are worried that "the poor" are being dissed and kicked to the curb. however, if a building that is an SRO is housing criminals, drug dealers, drug addicts, and other assorted undesirable people, and is causing danger to the surrounding neighborhood, then it should be changed. like the one SRO hotel up in Lakeview, by Sheridan and Broadway, i haven't lived near there, but when that place was changed, the neighbors were glad. must have been trouble.

the thing is the poor that live there somehow also attract other lousy people and so blame the lousy drug dealers, gang bangers and other assorted low lifes that have ruined it for "the poor". dont blame people who are trying to improve the safety of the neighborhood.

anyway life goes on, housing gets improved, someone wants to make money which is reasonable from their property and they have a right to do with it as they want.

maybe the poor need to find a way NOT to be poor and that would solve that.

yeah i know im heartless about the mentally ill that have been kicked out of institutions back a few decades ago, however, a lot of "the poor" dont have to be "the poor" if they had used all the welfare wisely and not tried to be a bum. they should have been going to school or finding a job so that they dont have to be "the poor".

bleeding heart liberals use "the poor" as a scapegoat to enable more of life that is keeping them "the poor".
If memory serves me correctly, ChicagoMeO doesn't live in Chicago anymore, but rather the burbs.

And people wonder why I would make a thread like this: Where does Chicago end?

There are plenty of people in Chicago that are crazy (I run into them all the time). We've got that covered. We don't want, need, or desire to have crazy from the burbs claiming to represent people that actually live in Chicago.

For the OP: I don't know. I've been in Uptown less than a year. Can't compare it to 3+ years ago. But I can say it is more active and alive than my previous neighborhood of Albany Park, especially on side streets.

My $0.02

Old 11-13-2014, 05:23 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,277,142 times
Quote:
Chicago went through racial change DRASTICALLY in the 60s into the 70s. White flight to newer Northwest and Southwest side neighborhoods and the suburbs. Perhaps in a day and age we utilize Affirmative Action to correct wrongs. Gentrification is mere a means today a city can revive and increase tax base. Without it perhaps Detroit's direction would come? BUT THE NORTHSIDE IS NOT BAD. BUT IT IS A BIG CITY.

I give this GOOGLE 360* Of the heart of the North side's Humboldt Park. Looks darn good to me diversified as it is in ethnicity.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9046...wg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also the Northwest side its 60s Chicago Bungalow-ranch homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9791...Vg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Last edited by steeps; 11-13-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,469,209 times
I have never heard or seen any crimes taken place in Uptown. It's not that bad at all.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:14 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,576,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
If memory serves me correctly, ChicagoMeO doesn't live in Chicago anymore, but rather the burbs.

And people wonder why I would make a thread like this: Where does Chicago end?

There are plenty of people in Chicago that are crazy (I run into them all the time). We've got that covered. We don't want, need, or desire to have crazy from the burbs claiming to represent people that actually live in Chicago.

For the OP: I don't know. I've been in Uptown less than a year. Can't compare it to 3+ years ago. But I can say it is more active and alive than my previous neighborhood of Albany Park, especially on side streets.

My $0.02
No i live in Chicago, i was planning to move to suburbs but i changed that. i live in the city.

i have lived in Uptown, and other places, and in various parts of the city including the south side. I have lived in the suburbs also a few years. I've been in Lakeview and Beverly, and Austin near Oak Park which is now the west side. i've lived EVERYWHERE, including northwest Indiana.

i can tell you that the best part of Uptown would be Margate Park. i think the worst part is by Truman College but even back then when i went there, crazy people walked by but did not harm me. they just talked to themselves a lot.

so what do you want to know

Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,576,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Chicago went through racial change DRASTICALLY in the 60s into the 70s. White flight to newer Northwest and Southwest side neighborhoods and the suburbs. Perhaps in a day and age we utilize Affirmative Action to correct wrongs. Gentrification is mere a means today a city can revive and increase tax base. Without it perhaps Detroit's direction would come? BUT THE NORTHSIDE IS NOT BAD. BUT IT IS A BIG CITY.

I give this GOOGLE 360* Of the heart of the North side's Humboldt Park. Looks darn good to me diversified as it is in ethnicity.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9046...wg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also the Northwest side its 60s Chicago Bungalow-ranch homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9791...Vg!2e0!6m1!1e1
and they are STILL white flighting northwest! the northwest side is now considered the west side in a couple of reports where they called it that.. Has the west side expanded or was that just someone's perception? Im talking about like Cicero Ave and Belmont. or even Pulaski and Kimball.

the northwest side used to be polish, italian, german but now its hispanic a lot. my old block was totally caucasian, now its 80% hispanic. all the old folks moved out more like to Edison Park, and that way.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,415 times
Quote:
The North side is easily 40% of the city (less if you count in a West side), so of course there are bad areas in the North side.

Chicago is very White in the Northwest side, say, Jefferson Park, Forest Glen, and the neighborhoods as you approach O'hare airport. Including around the city-locked suburbs, by the HIP mall.

Most of the shootings in far north Rogers Park and in Uptown are between Blacks and are classified as "gang-related."

So far, I've never seen an interracial shooting in Uptown.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,415 times
Quote:
and they are STILL white flighting northwest! the northwest side is now considered the west side in a couple of reports where they called it that.. Has the west side expanded or was that just someone's perception? Im talking about like Cicero Ave and Belmont. or even Pulaski and Kimball.
Aha, even Humboldt Park the Sun Times and Tribune refer to as the northwest side, and that's not good.

Quote:
the northwest side used to be polish, italian, german but now its hispanic a lot. my old block was totally caucasian, now its 80% hispanic. all the old folks moved out more like to Edison Park, and that way.
South of Belmont is very Hispanic and north of it is very White. Belmont is the dividing line between the heavily Polish neighborhood Portage Park, and Belmont-Cragin. By Belmont I mean west of Cicero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago