Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9 View Post
Do you honestly believe Daley has done nothing for this city? I'm sorry, but that is unbelieveable. Sure Daley may be crooked to some extent, what politician isn't (not that it's right)? But one thing I have to do is give Daley credit where credit is due. I'm not saying everything positive that has happened in the city of Chicago was Daley's doing, but he has been a catalyst for change thus the trickle effect. City living in Chicago was losing interest to many, but that is changing BIG TIME. I know many who live in the burbs (even with families) that are wanting to move back into the city. Most of Chicago has never been cleaner nor more inviting for residents or tourists. I remember less than 15 years ago, downtown was a ghost town after 5pm and the south loop was a serious crap district. Grant Park was not even close to being as nice as it is. There were train tracks where Millenium Park is now. Even state street felt like a dirty strip of dollar stores. Practically all city streets had so many potholes it was ridiculous.

Many neighborhoods have improved drastically and the skyline looks completely different than it did even in the early and mid nineties. The change is because people want to live in the city and businesses want to be in the city now and I believe that trend is going to continue for some time.

Chicago has more movies being shot in the city (thanks to the governor's tax credit) than it has in a long time. The city is visibly pleasing on film due to its architecture and cleanliness. Our theatre entertainment scene is through the roof and fashion is being taken seriously by the city as we were losing designers to other cities. "Green" is in and Chicago is ahead of the urban pack. This all results in more jobs which help offset some of the loss of factory jobs.

Our appeal internationally is becoming even stronger thanks to the appointment of Chicago's new ambassador to China as well as our bid for the 2016 Olympics. Hosting the World Boxing Championships without a hitch (with just weeks to prepare) didn't hurt Chicago's image either.
The list goes on. Like I said, Daley doesn't get credit for EVERYTHING, but the man deserves a hell of a lot more than some people give him. I have never been more pleased to live in Chicago than I do right now.

The trickle effect? Yeah, its really trickling down for blue collar workers in Chicago. Well that is unless you work for the city.

Daley is a king of crooks.

Why doesnt he run for governor of Illinois or President of the U.S.A. if his talent is so boundless?

While you make some good points and there is some truth behind them, you did not try to disprove anything I said in my previous post. Makes me wonder why not...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-03-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
You guys up there in 46 really need to find a way to vote Schiller out of office next time. Uptown will never get where it could be with her in office.

The problems up there spread down to Lake View and Edgewater too everyday.:-(
I did what I could There's always 2011! I'll still be there because I won't be able to sell my condo for what I paid for it in 2005.

Either way, the neighborhood is getting better every year in SPITE of Shiller, not because of her. She can't stop it. And I'm really close to Lakeview, so my part of Uptown is really quite nice and safe.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 76,596 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The trickle effect? Yeah, its really trickling down for blue collar workers in Chicago. Well that is unless you work for the city.

Daley is a king of crooks.

Why doesnt he run for governor of Illinois or President of the U.S.A. if his talent is so boundless?

While you make some good points and there is some truth behind them, you did not try to disprove anything I said in my previous post. Makes me wonder why not...

I agree with you that Daley has some crooked ways. I'm not saying he doesn't, nor can I disprove anything. I am a realist and while Daley has issues, his positive effect on this city has far, far outweighed any negatives. What mayor anywhere has changed a city the way he has? What mayor has pleased ALL citizens with EVERYTHING he/she has done? You'd be hard pressed to find any. Granted, Daley has the upperhand in that he has no term limit, but a lot of progress was made during his first two terms anyway.

Where would this city be today if it were not for his original desire to beautify the city and once again make it a great place to live and work? I don't know, maybe Harold Wahington could have made a positive impact. Unfortunately we will never know. Chicago was a dying rustbelt city and if not for reinventing itself, we would be like the inner city of Detroit...burned out. Although Detroit is making progress, a lot of cities are undergoing a renaissance thanks to Chicago's change.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I did what I could There's always 2011! I'll still be there because I won't be able to sell my condo for what I paid for it in 2005.

Either way, the neighborhood is getting better every year in SPITE of Shiller, not because of her. She can't stop it. And I'm really close to Lakeview, so my part of Uptown is really quite nice and safe.
Watch out around the Sheridan stop after 11pm or so, there are always some characters walking around. Do they only come out at night over there? Its strange.

Well after the next ward remap you might be in her ward anymore.
I still cant believe the high rises on Irving by LSD, as well as the gay Triangle area by Halsted and Broadway are in her ward...I dont think they will be after the remap. Her ward contains parts of Lake View that do not fit in well with most of her ward.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9 View Post
I agree with you that Daley has some crooked ways. I'm not saying he doesn't, nor can I disprove anything. I am a realist and while Daley has issues, his positive effect on this city has far, far outweighed any negatives. What mayor anywhere has changed a city the way he has? What mayor has pleased ALL citizens with EVERYTHING he/she has done? You'd be hard pressed to find any. Granted, Daley has the upperhand in that he has no term limit, but a lot of progress was made during his first two terms anyway.

Where would this city be today if it were not for his original desire to beautify the city and once again make it a great place to live and work? I don't know, maybe Harold Wahington could have made a positive impact. Unfortunately we will never know. Chicago was a dying rustbelt city and if not for reinventing itself, we would be like the inner city of Detroit...burned out. Although Detroit is making progress, a lot of cities are undergoing a renaissance thanks to Chicago's change.

I gave him a decent amount of credit until around 2000. After that, I do not think has done much other than take more of our money.

All the pretty flowers wont make that big of a difference if the middle class is being taxed out of existence in this city.

In his first couple of terms we were not getting the crap taxed out of us. Of course, the county and state taxes are not helping either.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
NYC records fewest homicides in 44 years...

LINK

-----------------------

How Chicago has reduced homicides. New York's approach sounds similar. Check the video.

PBS
THIS PBS ARTICLE IS FROM AUGUST 17, 2005! lol

Whoa, wait a minute found a recent article (from today, actually). Chicago homicides lowest in 2007 since 1965!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...1,983014.story

Last edited by Futcha; 01-03-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: ....

Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
^
Yes that PBS story on Chicago is from 2005 but it shows how Chicago got to it's current low homicide rate.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM

335 posts, read 675,888 times
Default chicago homicide rate

will chicago ever get its act together and be able to get the rate down to that of newyork city or is it hopeless?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM

This has been discussed in like 20 other threads in this forum. There is no need to start a new discussion.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Maybe not, but I think we can lower our murder rate back below Norfolk, Virginia next year...

Murders per 100,000 residents:

2007 Chicago: 15.6
2007 Norfolk: 21.1

2008 Chicago: 18.0
2008 Norfolk: 11.9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago