Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times

Advertisements

Plentiful hot dog carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 12:47 AM

42 posts, read 44,465 times
If I had unlimited funds I would remake the entire CTA. I would build a rapid subway system (think the best of the subway stations in Washington DC, Stockholm, London and Moscow) and connect all commuter trains and AMTRAK to one large central station. The subway system would cover the entire Cook county area and the metropolitan Chicago would be connected with rapid commuter trains (mostly underground). This is actually what Chicago should have done fifty years ago but because of political corruption and liberalism never took place. Another thing (although not one thing) is to build 500 new high-rises and skyscrapers starting at 500 feet to 2000 feet in Central Chicago.

Last edited by Skylock; 11-19-2014 at 01:03 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylock View Post
If I had unlimited funds I would remake the entire CTA. I would build a rapid subway system (think the best of the subway stations in Washington DC, Stockholm, London and Moscow) and connect all commuter trains and AMTRAK to one large central station. The subway system would cover the entire Cook county area and the metropolitan Chicago would be connected with rapid commuter trains (mostly underground). This is actually what Chicago should have done fifty years ago but because of political corruption and liberalism never took place. Another thing (although not one thing) is to build 500 new high-rises and skyscrapers starting at 500 feet to 2000 feet in Central Chicago.
I just got you're taking it political that strikes me? Being a moderate I blame extremism for many problems. But to say Liberalism prevented more mass transit and subways pointing out Chicago.... really isn't fair actually funny cause the Oil pipeline by conservatives has far more priority then any mass transit they sure say no way. If in Bible belt Big cities, DIDN'T DO ANY MASS TRANSIT, SUBWAY OR OTHER REALLY ? Who gets blamed there? We know GM conspired to kill our Trolley Systems, A BIG TRAVESTY, in Big and small cities. I believe the Auto industry and Big oil didn't want more mass transit?
Chicago at least kept the "el" downtown though of course we would have loved The Feds to help rebuild a system? Chicago since I lived there did rebuild its Expressway system. That had priority. We credit President Eisenhower with our Interstate Highway system. But with cheap oil then for gas. NO ADMINISTRATION WHEN IT COULD HAVE, PUSHED MORE MASS TRANSIT. Boston being liberal did do a underground roadway. Conservatives and others cry waste.

When I see Houston and Dallas and Phoenix do a subway? Then I will see if conservatives pushed for it?

Last edited by steeps; 11-19-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
If I had unlimited funds I would remake the entire CTA. I would build a rapid subway system (think the best of the subway stations in Washington DC, Stockholm, London and Moscow) and connect all commuter trains and AMTRAK to one large central station. The subway system would cover the entire Cook county area and the metropolitan Chicago would be connected with rapid commuter trains (mostly underground).
You know what would be better than that? If those subway trains were elevated, to 3rd or 4th floor elevations. Much like the Green Line is 100% elevated.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
This is actually what Chicago should have done fifty years ago but because of political corruption and liberalism never took place. Another thing (although not one thing) is to build 500 new high-rises and skyscrapers starting at 500 feet to 2000 feet in Central Chicago.
Liberals are against public transit?

Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You know what would be better than that? If those subway trains were elevated
I much prefer waiting below ground, protected from the elements.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:44 PM

Elements?

Either way, most people would prefer a elevated view than a subway view.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Elements?

Either way, most people would prefer a elevated view than a subway view.
Do you though? You like messing around in sewers and such.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Subways are still nothing to see.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Elements?
4. elements.

atmospheric agencies or forces; weather:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago