Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,259,130 times

Advertisements

Yes I never understood negativity to for example... toward Chicago's "el" elevated system? Of course its old, but you already walk in the elements to the station or bus of course, that you already waited for in the elements? So a few more minutes yet, for the train is no big deal.
But a new Subway surely would be a great asset with artwork and colorful lighting ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 03:20 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,085,490 times
So it's settled... an elevated train system with "indoor" train stations, to protect from the "elements."

Old 11-19-2014, 06:56 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,575,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Subways are still nothing to see.
I feel like I'm missing out on something. Is there a standout sewer that I really should check out?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I feel like I'm missing out on something. Is there a standout sewer that I really should check out?
I feel like you know me from somewhere.

The Chicago sewers, baby!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,259,130 times
^^^^^^^^You are long posting member for years here. You post this ^^^^^^

Oh I get it you are being FACETIOUS... confused me....

Guess I should be use to long time posters strive for SHOCK VALUE with some of their post. It sure works on me. I don't like senseless even vicious negativity towards others posting generally civil posts?
Guess I need to emulate the most senior posters more?

REALLY VIAJOS AND NEALIRC ....YOU ARE A VERY SENIOR MEMBER. BE RESPECTFUL TO THE REST OF US.
I'D EXPECT THIS FROM SOME HIGH STRUNG VERY YOUNG PERSON STILL IN REBELLION STAGE?

Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,067,784 times
And more psych wards.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,552,007 times
To improve Chicago, I would:
1) get rid of the racism
2) dial waaaay back on the winter weather; even the 'normal' winter weather
3) do something about the property tax rate so as to be able to plan for retirement without that monkey on my back

Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
To improve Chicago, I would:
1) get rid of the racism
2) dial waaaay back on the winter weather; even the 'normal' winter weather
3) do something about the property tax rate so as to be able to plan for retirement without that monkey on my back
Wow.

Did anyone interpret this thread as a "if you were a God or supreme being, what would you do to improve Chicago?"

Old 11-21-2014, 03:39 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,581,570 times
Quote:
Wow.

Did anyone interpret this thread as a "if you were a God or supreme being, what would you do to improve Chicago?"
I assumed it was a fantasy / wish list type of question, yes. Presumably anything we could easily change ourselves we'd have already done.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 PM

216 posts, read 311,850 times
Quote:
Isn't this Navy Pier, only at night?

Chicago has plenty of seasonal carnivals, usually lasting 4 days per event.
Not at all!

I consider Navy Pier to be the antithesis of a night market.

Shiny, soulless, corporate-sponsored, filled with trucked-in tourists, and no real cultural connection to the city. What does Bubba Gump or McDonalds really have to do with Chicago? A night market is a place where family businesses, independent food sellers, hustlers, scammers and game operators can set up a stand and do business as they see fit. It's smelly, chaotic, and full of life. On the other hand, try selling so much as a hot dog on Navy Pier without a license and see what happens.

If it were up to me I'd raze Navy Pier down to bare concrete, except for the Ferris wheel. Then I would extend an EL line along Grand that terminates in the middle of the pier. Then it would indeed be the perfect place for a night market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago