U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM

553 posts, read 479,082 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm from the Chicago suburbs and I've lived in both Minneapolis and St Paul(currently), the actual cities, for the past couple of years. Its always been my dream to live downtown Chicago(you know how us suburbans are), but at this point I would prefer a neighborhood. My title is also pretty misleading, as I'm not looking for a predominantly black neighborhood, but more of an integrated neighborhood where blacks are socially accepted. I've heard stories about the north side and with all these murders happening, I know blacks don't have a great reputation within the city. I've always visited the city as I have family on the south side and I frequent downtown quite often, and it just felt great each time I entered city limits. I know hide park is a very integrated neighborhood, but would that be my only option? Chicago is so beautiful and is such a world class city that its hard for me to imagine living anywhere else. Any suggestions on integrated neighborhoods? Also, I'm not rich by any means, but money won't be much of an issue. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM

38,690 posts, read 88,986,117 times
Rogers Park

Hyde Park

Kenwood

Bronzeville, preferably north of Pershing

South Loop

Possibly Uptown, though I don't get the sense it's "integrated" so much as the different races reluctantly tolerate each other

Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM

166 posts, read 205,668 times
East Humboldt Park, Rogers Park, Logan Square, Hyde Park, South Shore.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM

553 posts, read 479,082 times
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely do some research on the neighborhoods provided. Hyde park and South loop seem to interest me the most. Are they removed from the happening areas of the city?

Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM

4,255 posts, read 6,314,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely do some research on the neighborhoods provided. Hyde park and South loop seem to interest me the most. Are they removed from the happening areas of the city?
Hyde Park is not close to the major entertainment hubs on the North Side and you'd want a car to get there. Bus or El is certainly doable, but can be lengthy and inconvenient depending on exactly where you're headed from HP and time of day. (And the same for next-door Kenwood). South Loop is more centrally located and you'd generally be able to get a cab or take mass transit to restaurants, bars, clubs, etc as well as being able to walk if you were going to do something in the Loop itself.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,427,653 times
Um, South Loop has a lot of rich White people living in tall condos. Though the southern boundary is more subjective, perhaps the further south is more of what you're looking for. So probably the south end of South Loop.

South Shore is not mixed.

Rogers Park is the most diverse neighborhood (or maybe and West Ridge, a.k.a. West Rogers Park). There, not only do Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics live amongst either other, but Muslims and Jews live there, as well as Indians and Middle Easterns.

Albany Park is the 2nd most diverse neighborhood.

Another mix is west Humboldt Park (before it becomes all Black). So on Spaulding you have Whites, Blacks, and 2 types of Hispanics living amongst each other, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.

Now, you can find some neighbohoods where Hispanics and Blacks are kind of mixed together, such as the neighborhood south of South Shore, called South Chicago.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:42 AM

498 posts, read 557,551 times
West Humboldt Park is hardly 'safe'. There were 4 homicides in Humboldt in 4 days, bringing the total for the year to 22 (with a 55k population). So about 3 times higher than the city average.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:08 AM

3,856 posts, read 9,342,122 times
If you want a mixed, up and coming neighborhood which is not that expensive, I would suggest you also consider Woodlawn, just south of Hyde Park.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:58 AM

14,791 posts, read 18,928,484 times
Hyde Park and parts of Kenwood are the first ones that come to mind that might offer you a more city feeling but still a neighborhood. They're pretty 'chill' areas so there's not a ton of street life going on or anything, but with U of Chicago in the area, there's enough to do if you're into the arts, culture, etc etc.

The other areas you may not have known/heard would be South Loop, parts of Bronzeville (used to be Chicago's Harlem - maybe a tiny bit coming back now), Logan Square/Wicker Park area (More hip parts of Logan Square I should lsay. There aren't a lot of black people there but just from my observations, pretty accepting in those areas). Maybe parts of Rogers Park and Edgewater. There's also a census tract downtown in River North that's a little over 10% black where black households make $20,000/year more on average than any other group of people.

There's also some areas of Chicago that are middle class with a fair amount of black people in them like Calumet Heights and the areas of Roseland near Chicago State University. These are more family oriented almost more suburban-esque places though (not SUBURBS! but more suburban than what you'd find in an area like Wicker Park).

Old 11-22-2014, 11:11 AM

3,858 posts, read 5,894,191 times
The Island near Oak Park and Cicero. I think its mostly black though but near diverse areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or