Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Advertisements

Homicide 1st and 2nd degree(combined) in the last 365 days.(Chicago has 77 Community areas)

#1 Austin 31
#2 Greater Grand Crossing 23
#3 Englewood 22
#4 Humboldt Park 17
#18 (tied) West Town 8

Where you are talking about is technically in the community of West Town in which part of the Humboldt Park unofficial neighborhood is located.(But pretty much recognized by everyone as part of the Humboldt Park neighborhood however.) However, once you go two blocks west, you are in the community of Humboldt Park.Thats too close for comfort with numbers like that for me.

Any questions?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-03-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,766 times
Safety??! Well, it's a coin toss... and the odd are not likely to be in your favor. Sorry, but that's the kind of hood where it's just too naive to form an opinion after a few brief visits. You need to live there for at least a few months. That way you'll have a chance figure out if you have enough adventurous spirit to own a home there. Definitely rent first!!! Better yet, see if you can afford something around Ukrainian village.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
One of the geographic quirks of Humboldt Park is that the Smith Park area west of Western and south of Chicago (south to Grand, which angles north west of Western) is pretty much part of Ukrainian Village. It's one exception to the "west of Western rule."

I know a few folks who rent(ed) in the area mentioned (Chicago-Augusta-W of Western) and found it okay, although not without its low points. Also, there's an emerging cluster of hipster businesses along California from Chicago to Division; check it out sometime.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
One of the geographic quirks of Humboldt Park is that the Smith Park area west of Western and south of Chicago (south to Grand, which angles north west of Western) is pretty much part of Ukrainian Village. It's one exception to the "west of Western rule."

I know a few folks who rent(ed) in the area mentioned (Chicago-Augusta-W of Western) and found it okay, although not without its low points. Also, there's an emerging cluster of hipster businesses along California from Chicago to Division; check it out sometime.
I've never actually been over there- didn't know that was an OK area- shame it's so darn far from the el though.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I've never actually been over there- didn't know that was an OK area- shame it's so darn far from the el though.
It is not all that ok on California between Division and Chicago.

The other part mentioned is not as bad as Humboldt Park ( the community) ,but it still is not anywhere near as good as other parts of West Town.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Humboldt Park is still largely THE Puerto Rican 'Hood. Parts of east Humboldt Park are very gentrified and somewhat safe, although a cop once told me that the fixed-up buildings were huge targets for burglars... It's not like bullets are going to fly over your head every day, and you could probably live there for a long time without incident, but it's really just a matter of what risk you are willing to live with. Humboldt Park is not the worst neighborhood in the city by any means, but it's definitely on the "bad city neighborhood" side of the crime and poverty spectrum. And the gangs there are deeply entrenched and very very active.

That said, artists are starting to move in, and you know what that means. I have more than a few young professional friends who live there or used to live there. The eastern edge of the neighborhood is changing, and it could be a good long term investment. However, the lack of an "L" will definitely hold gentrification back, and there are several other neighborhoods that seem to be more of a "sure thing". Most of the gentrification in Humboldt Park is just Wicker Park/Ukranian Village spillover.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Humboldt Park is still largely THE Puerto Rican 'Hood. Parts of east Humboldt Park are very gentrified and somewhat safe, although a cop once told me that the fixed-up buildings were huge targets for burglars... It's not like bullets are going to fly over your head every day, and you could probably live there for a long time without incident, but it's really just a matter of what risk you are willing to live with. Humboldt Park is not the worst neighborhood in the city by any means, but it's definitely on the "bad city neighborhood" side of the crime and poverty spectrum. And the gangs there are deeply entrenched and very very active.

That said, artists are starting to move in, and you know what that means. I have more than a few young professional friends who live there or used to live there. The eastern edge of the neighborhood is changing, and it could be a good long term investment. However, the lack of an "L" will definitely hold gentrification back, and there are several other neighborhoods that seem to be more of a "sure thing". Most of the gentrification in Humboldt Park is just Wicker Park/Ukranian Village spillover.
Humboldt Park the community is (I am not including the neighborhood part that is in West Town or Logan Square) statistically in the last year (out 77 communities in Chicago) #5 in Homicide (17) ,#13 in Criminal Sexual Assualt (33),#14 Burglary(582).

As far as a long term investment(very long term), I would agree but only east of California.West of Kedzie things are not going to change anytime soon. Western (the community) Humboldt Park borders Austin.

The southern part of Logan Square between Bloomingdale and Palmer-Humboldt Boulevard to Western (much closer to the Blue line) that is considered part of the Humboldt Park neighborhood, is far favorable to invest in and is much safer,that area is where I would buy in th HP "neighborhood."

Btw--- there are 14 Crime Cameras in the area bordered by Hirsch to Augusta and California to Oakley. Granted, a couple are there because of Clemente H.S.,but 14 in that small an area is never a good sign.

Also-artists have been "starting to move in" for like 15 years and there numbers never have gotten very large. They live around there for a year or two and get the hell out!

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-04-2008 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM

I agree with "Avengerfire" that Logan Square is a much better bet than Humboldt Park! Actually, much of Logan Square is alright to live in right now.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:50 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Sigh -- the statistics don't mean much without context (for instance, community areas vary widely in population). Or when quoted completely out of context: the Humboldt Park community area is entirely west of the park itself and does not include the area mentioned in the original post.

As possibly one of the few people posting in this thread to have been to this area recently (yesterday), I can attest that the artist-led gentrification is actually happening. There are now multiple coffee, restaurant, and bar options within three blocks of Chicago & California, all of which fairly swarm with hipsters: Flying Saucer, Star Lounge, Humboldt Pie, Tommy's, Feed, Maiz, Black Beetle, California Clipper, Continental, etc. Last year even brought Switchyard Fest, an indie-rock street festival. Those businesses wouldn't be there (and some have survived for years) if there wasn't a local customer base.

Perceptions of safety are entirely up to the individual. I would never move anywhere without visiting the locale extensively, at all hours. Of course Humboldt has a higher crime rate than areas closer to the Blue Line (e.g., Logan or Ukie Village); it's also less accessible. Both factors are why it's cheaper, and I would imagine that if the OP could afford to be "closer in" that s/he would go there.

However, I also would hesitate about buying a house in an "up and coming" area in today's market in general, since lower prices bring about a flight to quality. Historically, choice locations retain enough of their amenities to retain most of their value, but the speculative momentum behind edgy areas drops off -- dragging down prices with it. Only buy if you're in for the long haul: 10+ years.

Last edited by paytonc; 01-06-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
As possibly one of the few people posting in this thread to have been to this area recently (yesterday), I can attest that the artist-led gentrification is actually happening. There are now multiple coffee, restaurant, and bar options within three blocks of Chicago & California, all of which fairly swarm with hipsters: Flying Saucer, Star Lounge, Humboldt Pie, Tommy's, Feed, Maiz, Black Beetle, California Clipper, Continental, etc. Last year even brought Switchyard Fest, an indie-rock street festival. Those businesses wouldn't be there (and some have survived for years) if there wasn't a local customer base.
Wow, that's a bit patronizing. Why would you presume to be more of an authority on something like this unless you actually live there yourself or grew up in the area?

Anyway, to the OP: just be careful about Humboldt Park. I have many friends that either live in Humboldt Park now or have lived there in the past few years--including a few who grew up there. I'm in the neighborhood quite frequently visiting friends and going to various bars, and I stand by my statement that the areas adjacent to Ukranian Village and Wicker Park are the safest and most gentrified. However, I also know MORE THAN ONE person who have been robbed or assaulted near some of those hipster bars, so you really do need to be careful and not naive about what you're getting into. I feel really bad for my friends that bought a swank $400,000+ condo west of California, and really believe that they will lose their shirts. I also feel bad for the female friend of mine that was knocked to the ground by a blow to the head while walking to her car from the Black Beetle. It's a tough hood, and it needs to be respected as such.

I also have friends that bought a condo in Logan Square near the Western Ave. Blue Line stop back in 1999, and they sold it a few years later for more than $100,000 profit. Things can go quite well in neighborhoods that are changing, but the market conditions right now would certainly make me more careful about taking on any major kind of real estate risk. "Paytonnc" was definitely correct when he/she said that you should only buy if you're willing to stay there for a while. The prices in Humboldt Park went through the roof in 2003-2005, so there really aren't that many deals to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago