Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,897,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I lived in Wicker Park from 1991 thru 2000 and saw the change. I used to go running in Humboldt Park, get Puerto Rican food from the vendors, attended the outdoor Mass during the Borican festival and watched the Softball games and the few Mexicans playing soccer on Sundays. I miss it in a lot of ways -Chicago is a great city and the only city I would want to live in. There are less cops in Humboldt compared to Lincoln but I ALWAYS felt safe there, alone, white 30 yo female yuppy, during the day. Love the Roses at the north part of the Park. Dammit, now I miss Humboldt Park.
I'm not talking about the park itself (which ironically is not in the actual, official community of Humboldt Park -- it's in West Town) or the colloquial "anything west of Western Avenue" version of Humboldt Park. I'm talking about the actual, official Humboldt Park neighborhood. And I'm glad no harm came to you during your visits to the various food vendors and festivals. But popping in once in a while for a bite to eat or to take in a festival or just to hang out in the park is a very different proposition than living in the neighborhood and dealing with the area's problems day in and day out. I go down to Grand Crossing periodically to eat at Lem's Barbecue; but let me tell you, I sure as sh*# wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood.

It's true that the whole area from the park eastward (including the park itself) has cleaned up a lot; even Wicker Park was not exactly a nice area when you first moved there, as I'm sure you can attest. But pretty much anything west of Kedzie is still a rather troubled area complete with shootings and open-air drug dealing and homicides and lots of gang activity. Those problems may or may not go away or at least substantially diminish in the next few years. I think there's a fair chance that it could go either way. But I also think too many people assume that the rest of Humboldt Park will clean up just like Bucktown/Wicker Park/"West Bucktown" did because of a weird yet pervasive belief that gentrification is an unstoppable process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:07 PM

51 posts, read 262,737 times
Yes, the park is a Chicago treasure, Leighland. The Japanese Garden in the Southwest, the ducks in the lagoon, the 'beach' with kids of every color swimming in the summers, picnics galore, easy to lose yourself in the park's winding paths and forget you are in a city (The book, Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum was inspired by the park when the author lived at 1667 N. Humboldt Blvd. Winding paths (yellow brick road) and the 'poppy fields', Mr Wobblebug = Cicadas)...then you look up and gaze at the skyline in amazement as to how close this diverse and large greenspace is to the city.

Now back to Bickerdike, HHDC et al, Humboldt1 nailed their funding source. And you know one of the issues with these development clusters is that more often than not, most who live in these units are families struggling to ends meet that want no trouble. Then there are a few bad apples that use the guise of these units to set up shop, or have their friends from another neighborhood setup shop in front. Litter, petty crime etc follows and gives a bad name to all. Calling Bickerdike and/or Hispanic Housing to enforce loitering laws usually falls on deaf ears or their efforts to police their developments are not sustained. There are however several developments in Wicker Park proper (East of Western) that are less 'troublesome'. So it is not the units but the bad apples and management that make an unpleasant experience for all who live remotely close to these.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,116,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well, I used to live a few blocks away. I have friends that live/have lived close to there. The crime is not really getting a whole lot better near the park.

I will tell you if you go east of Western crime is not half as bad. Almost anything west of Western around there is still pretty bad.
We used to have friend who lives on washtenaw between chicago and division. Not such a great area. We had to watch ourselves plenty. This was the '98 though. Has it gotten better?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,852,343 times
Default Way Better

Taboo,

That area has gotten way better, with all kinds of new condos and rehabs. It isn't gentrified to the point of Bucktown or Wicker Park but it is much better than it was even a few years ago.

There are still some interesting characters you have to watch out for, especially as you approach California and the park to the west but it is not that bad, certainly safe enough to walk from Calfornia Clipper to Continental. I actually really like the blocks just east of there, near Norweigian Hospital, but even further east is better in my opinion.

Once you cross western to the east it gets even nicer, but prices go up dramatically.

What do people think about 2243W Race (600N, 2200W)? There is a rehabbed 2-flat with finished basement and garage for sale for $462M. I suspect it will sell for less as it is a pre-foreclosure that has been on the market for awhile.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
...What do people think about 2243W Race (600N, 2200W)? There is a rehabbed 2-flat with finished basement and garage for sale for $462M. I suspect it will sell for less as it is a pre-foreclosure that has been on the market for awhile.
If you can get it for 375 max I would go for it.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM

Default avengerfire

I will update you on what it sells for. I suspect it will fetch 400M, but time will tell.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I will update you on what it sells for. I suspect it will fetch 400M, but time will tell.
Sounds good.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,116,653 times
My wife and I bought a single family home 3 years ago just west of Kedzie and south of North...It has been a little frustrating to see how resistant the neighborhood is to development, but with that said, we have had nothing but good experiences with most of our neighbors (partly because of an active block watch) and there are many things to love about the neighborhood and the park. Sure, I would have liked to have bought in Wicker Park or Ukranian Village, but we couldnt afford a house in those areas.
Maybe someday some new businesses will open that aren't Dollar Stores or Check Cashing places (A man can dream!) and maybe someday I will be able to walk safely to The Continental or The Black Beetle at night, but for now, its a waiting game. It is getting better all of the time, but it's not happening as fast as I had hoped.
BTW, WTF is up with the complete lack of grocery stores in the area? I have to drive up to Roscoe Village to go to Jewel (There is one closer, on Ashland, but it is a dump)

Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,109,634 times
Default Ah the joys of "urban pioneers"...

I hope things work out for you, odds are they probably will if you can get more folks to do the block watch and similar stuff. Nobody ever said that neighborhoods improve overnight. I think there is a parable that it takes a tree a lifetime to grow but lightning can split it in the blink of eye...

HANG TOGETHER!

I get a kick out of the comment about the grocery store. An old time Realtor that I used to work with would OFTEN give clients maps with the nearest grocery store highlighted on the theory (often correct) that people hate having to drive too far while their ice cream melts... It would **** him off to no end when there was a Jewel or Dominicks that had gotten run down. I thought the poor made would have stroke when I suggested that he include Eagle and Butera on his maps -- "I'm a Realtor not the Chamber of Commerce!"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
My wife and I bought a single family home 3 years ago just west of Kedzie and south of North...It has been a little frustrating to see how resistant the neighborhood is to development, but with that said, we have had nothing but good experiences with most of our neighbors (partly because of an active block watch) and there are many things to love about the neighborhood and the park. Sure, I would have liked to have bought in Wicker Park or Ukranian Village, but we couldnt afford a house in those areas.
Maybe someday some new businesses will open that aren't Dollar Stores or Check Cashing places (A man can dream!) and maybe someday I will be able to walk safely to The Continental or The Black Beetle at night, but for now, its a waiting game. It is getting better all of the time, but it's not happening as fast as I had hoped.
BTW, WTF is up with the complete lack of grocery stores in the area? I have to drive up to Roscoe Village to go to Jewel (There is one closer, on Ashland, but it is a dump)

Old 06-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Default I like that area long-term

I just talked with a realtor about 2 3flats at 3307 and 3309 W Crystal that are listed for $439M and $444M. I suspect both will be sold for no more than $400M a piece, maybe $350M in this market.

I am also looking at 2 6flats just east of the park at 2819 W Augusta and 1000 Mozart, which are listed for $598M.

East of the park is definitely a better bet if you can afford it and you are not next door to Bickerdike. West of the park has great housing stock the first 2 blocks west of the park.

If you bought 3 years ago you are like me, buying near the peak in the market but if you hold on 5 more years you will be fine.

BTW, I have walked from Avers and Hirsch to California Clipper and back without incident. Looking back, I was lucky and drive now. I would only walk there if I lived east of the park, just too far and you never know what might go on in the park (I would say that about any large park in any neighborhood).

They do have grocery stores, just not the big box ones like Jewel or Dominick's. There is Aldi's near Kedzie and Chicago Ave and a Cermak Produce at North and Rockwell. I really only consider supermarkets grocery stores, not corner markets. There is also a local grocery at Kimball and North.

They are also building an Aldis at the new Menards development though I wish they would put in something comparable to a Jewel. I realize Whole Foods isn't coming to Humboldt Park anytime soon.

Does anyone have any updates on the Menard's project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago