Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM

20 posts, read 58,907 times

Advertisements

In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the streets on the southside were constantly caked with mud. It was so bad that the inhabitants who owned horses were going broke because their horses would break their ankles constantly on the rough terrain. What would be a 15 minute trip driving into the loop would have a day-long trek for some due to the terrible road conditions.

So, the city too initiative to solve the problem and raised up all of the streets on the south side between four and ten feet! It was a project that took twenty years and a lot of innovative thinking. Many buildings needed to be moved and were actually uprooted and dragged to a new location. Some while people were still inside in the case of a few hotels and houses.

There is still much evidence of this project today as in the Pilsen, Bridgeport, and Heart of Chicago neighborhoods, some buildings still find their bases up to ten feet below street level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineBlueLine View Post
In the late 19th century and early 20th century, the streets on the southside were constantly caked with mud...

So, the city too initiative to solve the problem and raised up all of the streets on the south side between four and ten feet! It was a project that took twenty years and a lot of innovative thinking. Many buildings needed to be moved and were actually uprooted and dragged to a new location. Some while people were still inside in the case of a few hotels and houses...
This did not only happen on the south side. It happened on the north and west sides as well-although perhaps on higher instance on the south side.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
My Bridgeport apartment on Canal was like that. I think I walked 4 or 5 steps down into our 3-flat. My friends were bamboozled.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:05 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
They installed the sewer system at the same time they raised the streets - in some neighborhoods they just laid the sewer pipes on the ground and built the streets up over them. I'm in Logan Square and our backyard is about 4 feet lower than the street and alley. As you get closer to downtown you can see that the difference increases. In Bucktown and West Town the yards of old houses are about 6 to 7 feet lower than the streets. All the sewage just went into the river.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I suppose by now everyone knows Chicago was founded by a black French Canadian who lived in Peoria, Illinois. But did you know Peoria was the County seat for several years before Cook County was formed? ~ so sayeth the Peoria Historical Society.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Did you know the night of the Great Chicago Fire (October 8, 1871) a second fire erupted that was the worst recorded forest fires in American history? It killed a still unknown number of people. The Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871

Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Maxton?! Woah, that's pretty far down east. They apparently make the vegetarian soups there.
Nope. Not Maxton. My hometown's in SC, and the Campbell's plant closed 20 years ago and is now occupied by a different factory.

But solid sleuthing!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineBlueLine View Post
So, the city too initiative to solve the problem and raised up all of the streets on the south side between four and ten feet!
The Aug issue of Chicago Magazine featured a comic version of this:
Raising Chicago: An Illustrated History - Chicago magazine - August 2010 - Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
My hometown's in SC
Oh. As a Tar Heel, I'm sorry to hear that.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post

Oh. As a Tar Heel, I'm sorry to hear that.
Lived there, too.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
-Wrigley Field has hosted more professional football games than any other stadium in the nation.
You know, this actually wasn't the case when you posted it -- that distinction had belonged to Giants Stadium as of 2003 owing mostly to being host to two teams. But now that Giants Stadium is gone, the title has reverted back to Wrigley Field. Lambeau Field will take the torch within a few seasons, and then continue to keep the title until the Earth is reduced to a smoldering orange and gray cinder.

What I haven't sorted out though is why Lambeau doesn't already hold the title. It has been a pro football venue for 3 seasons longer than Wrigley was (as of the end of the 2009 season) but it's still some 40 games behind Wrigley in number of pro football games hosted.

Last edited by Drover; 08-25-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago