Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 02:30 AM

4 posts, read 4,983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 22 years old, single, and about to graduate college. My friend and I are looking to room together in Chicago, and we are trying to decide on a neighborhood to live in. I'd like to live in an area that's pretty densely populated with people in their early - mid 20s. Ideally, I'd also like to rent a high rise, but that is less important than location.

I want to pay somewhere in the range of $1400 - $2000 for rent. I'll also need parking because I will be working in Rolling Meadows.

So far I've been looking at places in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. Any preferences between the two? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 AM

50 posts, read 94,480 times
According to Census data ZIP Codes 60657 (Lakeview) and 60661 (West Loop / Fulton River District) have the highest concentration of 18 to 34 year olds in the city.

If you're commuting to Rolling Meadows you'll want easy expressway access. Crosstown from Lakeview can be slow. West Loop has great expressway access.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 PM

When you say crosstown from Lakeview can be slow, how slow do you mean? Also how is the night life in the West Loop?

Old 12-05-2014, 03:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Fulton River District is a short walk to River North nightlife. Easy access to highways too.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
If traffic is good you could make it in forty five minutes but more likely an hour to even more. In bad weather it could take an hour, an hour and a half or more to get home.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderotica View Post
When you say crosstown from Lakeview can be slow, how slow do you mean? Also how is the night life in the West Loop?
Surface streets are generally pretty awful and slow. If you're trying to get to the Kennedy, it can be a frustrating slog depending on the time of the day. I agree that West Loop (and specifically Fulton River District) are a good match for nightlife and highway access. Based on what you've said, you've got the budget for it.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I'll start looking into places in the West Loop. Are there many high rises in this area?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderotica View Post
I will be working in Rolling Meadows
Then I'm going to tell you right now to flush your dreams of highrise living right down the drain. And you sure as hell don't want to be commuting to Hoffman Estates from West Loop, unless you have a helicopter and a place to land it at both destinations.

At least once every few weeks someone pops in here asking roughly the same question: "I'm a 20-something who wants to live in a young & fun city neighborhood, and oh yeah, I'll be working way the hell out in the Northwest suburbs." Living anywhere within the city limits is going to be an unpleasant commute to Rolling Meadows at best. Commuting from just about any neighborhood with an abundance of the demographic you're looking for is going to flat-out suck and you'll be looking to slit your wrists within months.

So I'm going to suggest the same compromise to everyone else who makes the same inquiry: Find a place near the Irving Park, Montrose, or Jefferson Park stops of the Blue Line. This will give you a reasonable outbound drive to Rolling Meadows, at least once construction is finished up. The return home trip will be a bit tougher, especially on Fridays, though if you stick to Jefferson Park you have some reasonable arterial-street alternatives. Beyond that even the arterial streets get too clogged and your commute time gets longer and longer with each additional mile. But living near the Blue Line will give you 24/7 access to nightlife areas via the Blue Line itself or connections to 24/7 bus lines like Lawrence and Belmont. That connects you to Logan Square, Bucktown/Wicker Park, and downtown via the Blue Line; Lincoln Square and Uptown via the Lawrence Bus; Wrigleyville, Boystown, Southport corridor via the Belmont bus. Or there's always cabs and Uber/Lyft to get you to and from the party spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
If traffic is good you could make it in forty five minutes but more likely an hour to even more. In bad weather it could take an hour, an hour and a half or more to get home.
The problem is traffic is never good, at least when most people are coming and going to/from work.

We live in Irving Park and the wife and I are both painfully familiar with the commute out that way. Just from Irving Park to Cumberland the commute is routinely 30 to 40 minutes. Add another 25 minutes to get to Rolling Meadows. Add another 15 to 30 minutes still for the commute home. And remember, this is just to and from Irving Park. Forget trying to do it from Lakeview or West Loop or whatever. It's just not going to work.

Last edited by Drover; 12-05-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:44 PM

50 posts, read 94,480 times
Drover makes some solid points. The commute to/from Rolling Meadows from downtown Chicago is going to be time-consuming even at off-peak hours. You have to think seriously about whether it's worth it.

Arlington Heights has a decent, fairly interesting downtown with some high-rise apartments and a concentration of 20-29 year olds. And it's close to Rolling Meadows.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. Guess I should have considered the long commute beforehand. Might have to delay moving until I can transfer to the Chicago office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago