Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM

732 posts, read 2,971,132 times

Advertisements

If all goes well and we close on our condo later this month, we'll be having a moving company haul our stuff up from Misery. Has anyone had experience with moving companies working on these tight streets in the city? Would it be better if they tried to park the truck in an alley rather than on the street? Or even better to park a block or two away and shuttle stuff from the truck to the condo? I seem to remember a lot of Chicago neighborhoods forbid trucks over a certain size...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM

551 posts, read 3,113,104 times
I've done moves like this a few times--definitely have them park in an alley if at all possible. People get really, really irritated if there's a big truck blocking a lane of traffic! I'm not sure what the "shuttling" thing is...I haven't heard of movers doing that. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
If you think of it ahead of time, you can get the city to put up "No Parking" signs on your street to make room for your moving truck. I moved four times in this city before I found out about this, unfortunately! It's awesome. The temporary signs will go up a day or two before your move, and the space in front of your building just opens up for your truck. I think you can ask the nice folks at 311 if you want details.

Otherwise, also make sure you don't block the entire alley. Chances are better that you can double-park on the street and still let cars through. However, alleys are more narrow and there will be no way around your car. Your new neighbors will be VERY hostile if you block access to and from their garages for several hours! I've always used the street and just left room to pull around in one lane.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:32 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you think of it ahead of time, you can get the city to put up "No Parking" signs on your street to make room for your moving truck. I moved four times in this city before I found out about this, unfortunately! It's awesome. The temporary signs will go up a day or two before your move, and the space in front of your building just opens up for your truck. I think you can ask the nice folks at 311 if you want details.
You go to your Aldermans office and fill out the application. One of the first things you need to do is find out who all your elected officials are and what Ward you are in. You might be able to get 311 to send out an application to you.But I am pretty sure only the Alderman deal with that stuff though. If anything call him/her and maybe they can send one out to you. Since you dont live in Chicago, 311's number is :312-744-5000. As far as your Aldermans number you have to figure that out on your own. I dont know what Ward you are moving to.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 AM

732 posts, read 2,971,132 times
Thanks, y'all. I'll try the Alderman's office (Margaret Laurino) and see where that takes me. There's a couple of complicating factors - across the street from the condo is the parent pick-up zone for the elementary school (Volta) so I'm not sure if they would do a no parking zone there. But if they could do one on the cross street to the north, then the truck could park right in front of the alley and things could be moved in that way (it's a new condo but I suspect the rules will stipulate that moves have to be done through the rear entrance).

Old 01-05-2008, 02:52 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,121,868 times
What do the condo association by-laws say?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM

15 posts, read 76,300 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Thanks, y'all. I'll try the Alderman's office (Margaret Laurino) and see where that takes me. There's a couple of complicating factors - across the street from the condo is the parent pick-up zone for the elementary school (Volta) so I'm not sure if they would do a no parking zone there. But if they could do one on the cross street to the north, then the truck could park right in front of the alley and things could be moved in that way (it's a new condo but I suspect the rules will stipulate that moves have to be done through the rear entrance).

When I moved into my apartment, the management required new tenants to move furniture through the rear entrance which was facing the alley. It's probably best to check with your condo associaton before reserving a spot in the front of your building.
Welcome to CHICAGO!!

BTW, I lived in Columbia, MO for awhile due to my employer. Very nice town. I REALLY miss Tony's Pizza Palace. They served the best pizza and greek salad in Columbia.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:11 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,153,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9 View Post
BTW, I lived in Columbia, MO for awhile due to my employer. Very nice town. I REALLY miss Tony's Pizza Palace. They served the best pizza and greek salad in Columbia.
It's a shame there's no good pizza place's or Greek restaurants in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: