Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM

44 posts, read 58,137 times

Advertisements

Okay some background information first. I am currently in high school in Michigan and have been accepted into quite a few colleges. Two of which are in chicago(depaul and Uic), I really love chicago, but my main dilemma is affording to go to school there. So my question for you guys is it worth going to school in Chicago despite the high prices or should I attend school here in Michigan probably in metro detroit. Although I was accepted into western and gvsu. Thank you everyone for the assistance in this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Undergrad matters little ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburk14 View Post
Okay some background information first. I am currently in high school in Michigan and have been accepted into quite a few colleges. Two of which are in chicago(depaul and Uic), I really love chicago, but my main dilemma is affording to go to school there. So my question for you guys is it worth going to school in Chicago despite the high prices or should I attend school here in Michigan probably in metro detroit. Although I was accepted into western and gvsu. Thank you everyone for the assistance in this decision.
I know many people who have earned degrees from colleges in the metro Detroit area that now have good jobs in Chicago. If you can save money by staying in your home state and then have more to spend on an eventual move that makes a lot of sense.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Yeah I thought about that. But I also wondered if establishing connections in the Chicago area would prove to be more beneficial in the long run.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:12 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I would definitely pass on DePaul, unless the school pays for most of it. It's way too expensive for what it is. UIC is much better, but you would still be paying out-of-state tuition, as well as living expenses.

I would advise you to calculate each scenario very carefully, including living expenses, transportation, scholarships, etc, as well as take into consideration of your proposed major and prospects of a job when you graduate. Then after you have a final number of proposed expenses for each scenario, go to a student loan calculator, and see what your monthly payments will be upon graduation. Then check to see how long it will take to pay off the loan, as well as how much interest you will pay.

Next ask yourself, "will a degree in _______ be worth $____ amount of debt?"

I have known many people who moved to Chicago for university, and when graduating have anywhere from $50k - $150k worth of debt from one of the many private universities. In my opinion, it is not worth it, but I'm not the one living with the debt either.

I just hate to see people make a bad choice that can have the possibility to cripple them financially for a significant portion of their life. So, it is a very important decision you should think carefully about. Only you can make the decision, and it is very good you are asking questions now.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Thank you for the replies are appreciate it. And I'll look into all of the above costs! Thank you again

Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I wouldn't do it. Those schools aren't prestigious enough where it's going to make a huge difference if you can save significantly staying in state. That being said, you have to research your financial aid package from each institution. U of I are especially DePaul are probably more prestigious than WMU and GVSU. It's really a cost benefit analysis question, which is impossible to make without knowing the financial aid departments are going to throw at you.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Despite getting into debt chicago is very appealing to me. Is it all it's cracked up to be? Even on a very very tight budget? I will probably stay in Michigan but I would still like some more input. Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2014, 08:42 PM

255 posts, read 583,639 times
If it appeals to you now, it will likely appeal to you in four years. Don't go into debt for a location.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:43 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Fact is there really is nothing all that wonderful for the under 21 crowd ...

There are almost certainly more options for things like live music in places East Lansing or Ann Arbor given the relative numbers of under 21 crowd in those towns compared to Chicago.

The real "plus" of Chicago is for folks that are going to be able to mix / meet in their post college years.

If you save your money it makes things easier down the road.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks so much. I will be staying in Michigan for school! Which is probably my best bet not only financially, but all of my family and friends live here too. Maybe some time down the road I'll give chicago a try. I appreciate all of the feedback and merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago