Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I miss strolling around at lunch when I'm not all bundled up.
Thats what spring, summer and fall are for. I hate this weather, I like winter because its supposed to be cold, its a nice break from the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I like my annual winter thaw (and yes we usually get a few days of unusually warm weather every winter), it gears me up for the rest of winter.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't really blame people for thinking any change in weather is because of global warming, because that's what the media says everyday (And please don't think I am some press hating type - I majored in journalism) But when writers and editors who know very little about an incredibly complex subject and try their best to disseminate that information to people who know even less on the subject than they do, there are always going to be issues.

There are some places on Earth who are seeing real change from global warming (like polar bears who are drowning because they can't swim from iceberg to iceberg anymore) But Chicago? Not yet guys.

It's kind of like that El Nino effect - remember when everything could be blamed on El Nino?
Another incredibly patronizing post from a non-expert. Sure, the 60+ degree January days are a fluke that has happened before.... long long ago. But global warming does ensure that these "flukes" will continue to happen with more frequency in the future. And they are occuring more frequently now.

Here's a quote from the Union of Concerned Scientists:

"Astonishingly, every single year since 1992 is in the current list of the 20 warmest years on record."

Sure, the change isn't catastrophic in Chicago yet... In fact, it's been quite pleasant so far. But it's naive to say that the warmer winters we've been having are not part of a larger trend. They are.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Another incredibly patronizing post from a non-expert. Sure, the 60+ degree January days are a fluke that has happened before.... long long ago. But global warming does ensure that these "flukes" will continue to happen with more frequency in the future. And they are occuring more frequently now.

"Astonishingly, every single year since 1992 is in the current list of the 20 warmest years on record."

Sure, the change isn't catastrophic in Chicago yet... In fact, it's been quite pleasant so far. But it's naive to say that the warmer winters we've been having are not part of a larger trend. They are.

And if warmer winters where I don't have to dig my car out, freeze my balls off, have chapped lips everday along with bleeding noses are going to become more frequent here because of us being "less green", then hell I'll go buy the biggest gas guzzling SUV I can find to help add to it. j/k but believe me I'll take this weather ANYDAY over that crap we had here for the past couple of weeks! This is great I didn't even have to use my heat in my car today.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:

Funny how you don't actually have to be a scientist to join the "Union of Concerned Scientists"

Old 01-07-2008, 02:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
And if warmer winters where I don't have to dig my car out, freeze my balls off, have chapped lips everday along with bleeding noses are going to become more frequent here because of us being "less green", then hell I'll go buy the biggest gas guzzling SUV I can find to help add to it. j/k but believe me I'll take this weather ANYDAY over that crap we had here for the past couple of weeks! This is great I didn't even have to use my heat in my car today.
Yeah, it's awesome. I often go to California's Bay Area for work, but they're having worse weather than us right now.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
For as long as I can remember we have had a few days of 50+ weather in the winter...the reason it breaks records is because it rarely happens on EXACTLY the same day.

70 would be really shocking, that I do not recall ever seeing in January.

Personally, I can't wait to get out for a walk.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Another incredibly patronizing post from a non-expert
Soooo, youre an "expert"? Please enlighten us.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
OK so I went back and read my post and I'm not sure how I was patronizing.

And I definitely never claimed to be an expert on the subject, but I do have at least a modicum of knowledge on the subject, and if believing that much of the current climate change ruckus is, in fact, alarmist, is "naive" then call me naive. Or perhaps, well read, because climate change is far from being a perfectly tied up bundle of scientific acceptance. Even scientists who absolutely see climate change as an issue, still argue over its causes, the direction it's heading and what we can (if anything) do to reverse or stop it.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:24 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Today was amazing for weather. While the warmth really wasn't that shocking and VERY refreshing, the tornadoes just north of the city were another story! Holy CRAP! I can't believe what I am seeing on the news about Wheatland, WI. Tornadoes just north of the IL border in JANUARY???!!! Now that is weird. Whats next, snow in June?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago