Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Um, it was 1979. It was January. A person doesn't forget their first behind the wheel experience...

Chicago Blizzard of 1979 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Look Back At 3 Of Chicago’s Worst Blizzards « CBS Chicago
Winter '78 - '79. I was at U of C and remember people cross country skiing down the streets. Classes got cancelled for at least 1 day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 04:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
I think kids have had more days off over the last two years than I had my entire childhood. I graduated from HS in 1998, going to Catholic schools in the city. We were never closed unless CPS was closed. CPS almost never shut down back then.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I grew up in the UP of Michigan and we went to school even when it was -50 degrees. We kept our coats and gloves on but still had to go to school. Of course this was in the 40's, 50's so things were different. But that brings me to a news story that was on the Chicago TV yesterday. A mother was complaining that her kids school was quite cool so her son left his jacket on. The teacher made him take it off because, are you ready for this, IT DIDN'T MEET THE DRESS CODE ! Only in today's schools !
That's terrible! Kids should not freeze at school! I know some schools that have a no jacket rule, it's the stupidest rule ever. I understand a no hats rule, but a no jacket rule is ridiculous. I don't see how a jacket would be distracting to other kids. If a kid is cold, it disrupts their learning.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,083,850 times
I do believe that schools are definitely more lenient about school closings. My friend didn't have a snow day until her senior year of high school in 2008. However, I do think that it was necessary for no school today and tomorrow because it was COLD. There are kids who have to walk and wait for the bus and kids who have no choice but to walk to school. My high school bus stop was a 10 minute walk from my house which is why I rarely ever took it in high school. Today, I couldn't go anywhere because traffic was so bad everywhere and it was so slippery on the roads. If it's so bad where you can get a frost bite in 10 minutes, school should be canceled since many kids would have to be outside for at least 10 minutes.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:43 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
McHenry (where we live) has closed tomorrow as well, and you can probably throw in Friday, too, because it won't be much above zero then, either. So basically, my kids are getting a 3 week Christmas break because it's really cold in Chicagoland in January.

Sorry, don't mean to be such a cynic, but we were all out & about today both up here and in Chicago, and it really wasn't that bad. Now if you're walking around with no gloves or head protection in temps like these......well, obviously there's going to be at least a few of those whose parents will be quick to blame the schools rather than their numbskull (pun intended) kids, so I suppose that's who they're worried about.
Do your kids walk/ stand outside for the bus 10-15 minutes?

Im a librarian at a elementary school in the south suburbs, most of the kids walk from the surrounding neighborhoods, I don't think any parent should send their kid out in this weather

Old 01-08-2015, 05:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
https://twitter.com/MarsWxReport/sta...89526487965698

Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes, and same here. In many neighborhoods locally, kids don't even wait at bus stops--the drivers drop them off in front of their homes.

We're turning kids into pansies in this country.
Agreed. Kids who live in troubled neighborhoods should be made to walk 5 blocks and risk getting shot, and they should be subjected to possibly getting frostbite. It builds character. Tired of these wuss kids, they need to grow a pair already.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
For the sarcastic-impaired, yes that was sarcasm. Chicago has been closing schools due to extreme cold since the 1970's, so it's not just "kids these days".
http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/...ag+Cold+010815

Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
when we were growing up, the norm was to go to school near your home.. so that might mean only a block or two walk. now i went to high school and there were some kids getting bused to high school.. nowadays its everyone is going all over town to school. we went to catholic grammar school and the nuns never went on strike, only a two doors down walk to school to teach.. thats part of the problem nowadays.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
CPS schools are open tomorrow Friday. Makes no sense I think. According to my weather app, it will be colder tomorrow than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago