Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 02:56 PM

166 posts, read 259,831 times

Advertisements

Give East Humboldt Park a shot. Area bounded by North Ave - Division, California - Western. Still some good finds there and it is very safe and close to the busy surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,715 times
Damn, this forum is awesome. Thanks everybody:]

So it sounds like the neighborhoods starting at ukrainian village/wicker park and extending up through Logan Square to Avondale are pretty decent i.e. not too dangerous, walkable, bikeable etc.? (some being more affordable than others obviously)

Pilsen is really close to downtown, how is it so affordable?

Also, nobody mentioned East Garfield Park...its more affordable than a lot of the other ones...is it a bit seedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I was about a block from the Pink line when I lived in Pilsen While the pink line may not run 24/7 it stops about 1/130am and picks back up at 4/430am.
Is the sad face because the train kept you up at night or...?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:23 PM

125 posts, read 172,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedl View Post

It's predominately Hispanic and in my opinion has a commercial/industrial feel at least in the immediate surrounding areas. I like it down there though.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:32 PM

26 posts, read 42,928 times
Default You will love chicago.

Quote:
Just looking for some opinions on safe yet relatively inexpensive neighborhoods in Chicago. I'm a typical "starving artist" (lol) and I have no problem living in low income neighborhoods. I've lived in many, and know that "low income" does not always mean "dangerous". I just want to avoid the actual dangerous neighborhoods...just researching chicago it seems like the neighborhoods to avoid are on the south side. Is that accurate?

I'll looking for a studio between $500-$750...with that budget I don't have a ton of options but I'd like to live somewhere with some life and good energy...people out and about (and not shooting at me)...a coffee shop or two...cute girls waiting for a nice guy to be brave and say hi;]

Right now I'm looking at East Garfield Park, Logan Square, Uptown, and Rogers Park. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks :] -s
In the places you are looking uptown is no doubt the best, close to Lakeview and lincoln park and surrounded by good areas.

This is my order.

1. Uptown
2. Rogers Park-Dangerous depending on where you live in the neighborhood, some places are very safe but boring cause there are not as many stores as in other neighborhoods, uptown doesnt either but is safer. east of the train station on a map is where it is known to be most dangerous.
3. Logan Square. The east side has a lot of weird people walking around and the west side when you get closer to cicero is about as bad chicago ghettos get in some places, so definitely a no.
4. East Garfield Park is a really dangerous neighborhood, garfield park in the west is kind of what Englewood is in the south. Forget the south west comparison, some neighborhoods in the west are as dangerous as the south, i have seen it with my own eyes as i used to work in the west side.

Either way i think Uptown is a better choice then Pilsen because the northside as a whole is more exciting and you are close to wicker park which is kind of the artistic district these day.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:49 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:

The median income in Pilsen is $42K vs $73K for the Chicago metro. Since people have less to spend the housing stock reflects the demand for that particular area. As the other poster mentioned, Pilsen is heavily Hispanic and Chicago tends to be very segregated which is the main reason imo.

Assuming this data is current, about 52% of Pilsen residents have no more than some HS vs 5.2% for Lincoln Park.

Pilsen Demographics & Statistics
Lincoln Park Demographics & Statistics

Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 PM

321 posts, read 372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
I would also suggest Pilsen and Bridgeport for your price range. You may find Uptown and Logan Square to be too expensive for you.
I didn't think about Bridgeport. That's also a good call. It is starting to get more of an artist scene in recent years as East Pilsen gentrifies, also.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Older housing stock, long-time stigma against anything on the South or West sides (which has been slowly disappearing in recent years for areas close to downtown) and a very long history as a port of entry neighborhood for immigrants. Also, until a decade or so ago it had a pretty high crime rate. The things that you're seeing are the reasons it is gradually becoming less and less affordable, but for now it's still far more affordable than many places.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Hey, lets not forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
Older housing stock, long-time stigma against anything on the South or West sides (which has been slowly disappearing in recent years for areas close to downtown) and a very long history as a port of entry neighborhood for immigrants. Also, until a decade or so ago it had a pretty high crime rate. The things that you're seeing are the reasons it is gradually becoming less and less affordable, but for now it's still far more affordable than many places.
...the raised streets mean that "garden apartments" are often below the levels of the sewers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXg37f4Ku6o

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the raised streets mean that "garden apartments" are often below the levels of the sewers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXg37f4Ku6o
True, though I wouldn't want to live in a garden apartment anywhere in Chicago, for this reason and others (poor natural light, poor security, etc.)

Old 01-09-2015, 11:38 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko3371 View Post
In the places you are looking uptown is no doubt the best, close to Lakeview and lincoln park and surrounded by good areas.

This is my order.

1. Uptown
2. Rogers Park-Dangerous depending on where you live in the neighborhood, some places are very safe but boring cause there are not as many stores as in other neighborhoods, uptown doesnt either but is safer. east of the train station on a map is where it is known to be most dangerous.
3. Logan Square. The east side has a lot of weird people walking around and the west side when you get closer to cicero is about as bad chicago ghettos get in some places, so definitely a no.
4. East Garfield Park is a really dangerous neighborhood, garfield park in the west is kind of what Englewood is in the south. Forget the south west comparison, some neighborhoods in the west are as dangerous as the south, i have seen it with my own eyes as i used to work in the west side.

Either way i think Uptown is a better choice then Pilsen because the northside as a whole is more exciting and you are close to wicker park which is kind of the artistic district these day.
I have some problems with the above. Most of Uptown is fine but the core of Uptown around Wilson and Broadway still has a high concentration of social services, criminals, and crazies. Pick your block and building carefully.

Logan Square is a large area but it doesn't extend as far west as Cicero. The east part of Logan Square is the nice part and it has become a red hot real estate market. You can spend $750,000 on a house there. I don't see weird people walking around.

Agreed East Garfield Park is terrible.

I like Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown best for what the OP is looking for. That's the artsy part of the city, although prices have risen substantially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago