Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 25,961 times

Advertisements

This morning I was walking into the red line station at Fullerton (on the south entrance) and was greeted to 6 cops lined up just past the turnstiles and 2 K9 units placed on each end of the station in front of the turnstiles. Is there a reason for this excessive police presence? Was there some crime committed over the weekend? Are they trying to nail down those small time DePaul dealers? Or are terrorists trying to terrorize my morning commute? This isn't the first time I've seen police there, but generally it's only one or two officers along with a K9 unit, and that's usually at the Grand red line station.

Seeing as how Fullerton is probably one of the safest red line stops in the city, it seems like this is a total misuse of resources. The Howard stop and the 95th stop seem like better candidates for police patrol. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

14 posts, read 30,128 times
Probably in response to a specific incident. Remember, someone who gets on at a less savory red line stop can still get off at Fullerton.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:01 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
A general showing related to the routine terrorist threats against the country by ISIS and others. They issued another one this weekend, and after what happened in France last week the country "went on alert" a bit more than they normally would.

They're doing this at transit agencies all over the country, it's nothing specific to Chicago or to the Fullerton station. The Fullerton station is one of the busiest in the entire system, especially outside the downtown area, so that's more than likely why they were at that station this morning. It may be one of the safest, but they were trying to stop pickpockets, it's more in response to someone who would target a very busy transit station at a very busy time of the day.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot413 View Post
This morning I was walking into the red line station at Fullerton (on the south entrance) and was greeted to 6 cops lined up just past the turnstiles and 2 K9 units placed on each end of the station in front of the turnstiles. Is there a reason for this excessive police presence? Was there some crime committed over the weekend? Are they trying to nail down those small time DePaul dealers? Or are terrorists trying to terrorize my morning commute? This isn't the first time I've seen police there, but generally it's only one or two officers along with a K9 unit, and that's usually at the Grand red line station.

Seeing as how Fullerton is probably one of the safest red line stops in the city, it seems like this is a total misuse of resources. The Howard stop and the 95th stop seem like better candidates for police patrol. Thoughts?
Do you not watch the news at all?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Do you not watch the news at all?
Watch? Generally no, since most of what is shown is grounded in very low standards of journalistic integrity.

Read the news? Yes. But I take the articles with a grain of salt, especially those that exploit irrational fears, much like the ones you so cleverly embedded in your platitudinal response.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,271 times
Quote:
.... it seems like this is a total misuse of resources. The Howard stop and the 95th stop seem like better candidates for police patrol..... Thoughts?
Though this may seem that this "is a total waste of resources" to you. There most likely is a good or at least decent reason for this. One that may or not be public knowledge. Maybe it's as simple as several units getting together to have coffee and go over plans/schedules etc.... or maybe a potential threat has presented itself. You can always contact the CPD hq. and let them know how you feel. Myself It makes me happy to see CPD in my neighborhood. Considering how many have been siphoned off to the combat zones on the South and West sides. Criminals know this and that is one reason theft, burglary and other crimes are up in the Northside lakefront areas.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Hey Joe,
They definitely weren't there for a coffee break, given their strategic placement. I was bringing it up because it seemed very strange, and their presence was intimidating to the point where I was genuinely curious as to why they were there. My "total misuse of resources" comment was simply reactionary, but I'm sure they're there for a good reason.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Usually when the threat of terrorism rises like it has recently you see k9 units around public transit. Previously they have been at the metra stations in the loop but perhaps they have decided to fan out to other stations. The loop stations are obvious but the Fullerton station is one of the busiest and is full of various people changing between lines and tons of college students from de paul. there would be some serious effects if they decided to target it.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:00 AM

321 posts, read 372,173 times
Quote:
But I take the articles with a grain of salt, especially those that exploit irrational fears, much like the ones you so cleverly embedded in your platitudinal response.
"Irrational" is thinking that crimes requiring a police presence can't happen in your so-called "safe" neighborhood. His response to your irrationality was quite rational.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Op, they were there to scare country folks like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: