Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:10 PM

215 posts, read 347,814 times

Advertisements

I'm aware that people can and often do overspend especially as their income increases. What I don't understand is how so many responders in this thread assess that the OP would be "just fine" on $50,000 gross annually in Chicago. Unless they have children, that's a very nice income in my opinion. It leads me to believe those who feel that way have spending issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:36 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,671 times
Where is anyone saying its not a good salary? Well, except for the troll upthread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
I'm aware that people can and often do overspend especially as their income increases. What I don't understand is how so many responders in this thread assess that the OP would be "just fine" on $50,000 gross annually in Chicago. Unless they have children, that's a very nice income in my opinion. It leads me to believe those who feel that way have spending issues.
Either that or we're willing to spend more to not have to live with a roommate like we're still in college.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,212,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy506 View Post
It's 30% below the median for the Chicago MSA, so while OP won't starve, OP will also have limited options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Where is anyone saying its not a good salary? Well, except for the troll upthread
It's not a "good" salary, it just isn't awful.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,606,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's not a "good" salary, it just isn't awful.
And we're going in circles. If you are single without debt, you can live a very comfortable middle class lifestyle on that much. If you are the only breadwinner and have 3 kids and a mortgage and car payments and school loans and a leaky roof...well maybe not. Although there are certainly people in those kinds of situations making less. Like everything else in life...it depends.

Here is what Americans are making as HOUSEHOLDS

This individual will be making right around the median for themselves and living with roommates which will stretch their income even further.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
And we're going in circles. If you are single without debt, you can live a very comfortable middle class lifestyle on that much. If you are the only breadwinner and have 3 kids and a mortgage and car payments and school loans and a leaky roof...well maybe not. Although there are certainly people in those kinds of situations making less. Like everything else in life...it depends.

Here is what Americans are making as HOUSEHOLDS

This individual will be making right around the median for themselves and living with roommates which will stretch their income even further.
But the median income for the Chicago MSA is around $73-$75K. You can be comfortable on $50K as long as you make sacrifices, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as comfortable middle class even though the income falls within the middle class brackets.

$50K
$10K taxes
-----
$40K; $3.33K/mo
$12K; $1K rent
$1200; $100 phone
$1200; $100 utilities
$1200; $100 CTA pass
$3.6K; $300 food
$1.8K; $150 insurance. This could actually be higher, but we don't know OP's age or what type of plan his employer is providing.
$12K; $1K 401K
-------------------
$9K; $750 month for savings, gym, entertainment, clothes, etc.

$50K is enough to live on, but OP would have to give up owning a house, buying a car (which we don't know is even possible), having kids, & possibly having overseas vacations. Like I said, it's not a "good" salary, it just isn't awful. OTOH, I sense the OP is a girl, so she can probably get a guy to buy her stuff. $50K might be a good salary for her job and age, but there is no reason to assume it is without more info.

This is everything we know: What type of transport is OP talking about? Insurance, gas, depreciation/pmt, parking on a car will demolish the budget.

Quote:
Hello everyone!
I am planning to move to Chicago but I would need some indications.
they have offered me 50000 $ per year, visa sponsored and insurance paid for half by the company and then the rest charged monthly on my payslip. I want to know if it is a good salary or not, considering that i have to pay rent (i dont want anything special and i am keen to share an apartment) and transports?
please help me!
Valentina

Old 01-22-2015, 02:45 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
The median household income in Chicago is $48,000 or so. The average household has 2.5 people. A $50K salary for one person should be fine.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The median household income in Chicago is $48,000 or so. The average household has 2.5 people. A $50K salary for one person should be fine.
The Chicago MSA that I was talking about includes more than Chicago proper.

According to this, the median household income is $60K and median family income is $73K for the Chicago proper area.

Chicago Illinois Household Income | Department of Numbers

Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,121 times
Quote:
But the median income for the Chicago MSA is around $73-$75K. You can be comfortable on $50K as long as you make sacrifices, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as comfortable middle class even though the income falls within the middle class brackets.

$50K
$10K taxes
-----
$40K; $3.33K/mo
$12K; $1K rent
$1200; $100 phone
$1200; $100 utilities
$1200; $100 CTA pass
$3.6K; $300 food
$1.8K; $150 insurance. This could actually be higher, but we don't know OP's age or what type of plan his employer is providing.
$12K; $1K 401K
-------------------
$9K; $750 month for savings, gym, entertainment, clothes, etc.

$50K is enough to live on, but OP would have to give up owning a house, buying a car (which we don't know is even possible), having kids, & possibly having overseas vacations. Like I said, it's not a "good" salary, it just isn't awful. OTOH, I sense the OP is a girl, so she can probably get a guy to buy her stuff. $50K might be a good salary for her job and age, but there is no reason to assume it is without more info.

This is everything we know: What type of transport is OP talking about? Insurance, gas, depreciation/pmt, parking on a car will demolish the budget.

All this stuff is really overpriced. If you have to live a typical yuppie lifestyle, I guess this is normal. However, you can easily spend less than 1000 on rent. I have never spent over 800 dollars on rent and I live in Lakeview. Also, health insurance being 150 seems high to me. On my employers plan, I was only paying 34 dollars a month. The highest I would have paid was 68 dollars. It is not a real benefit if you paying 150 or more. Also this is usually taxed before your income so you are saving on taxes.

Lastly, if you shop around you can get a cell phone plan for under 100 dollars. My utility bill and cell phone bill combined are 100 hundred dollars.

A person with smart money management who is single with no debt could easily live comfortably with 50,000 and save 10,000 per year. I say that is pretty comfortable. Now if you want to max out your retirement accounts, you might need a bigger salary.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,560,693 times
Quote:
The Chicago MSA that I was talking about includes more than Chicago proper.

According to this, the median household income is $60K and median family income is $73K for the Chicago proper area.

Chicago Illinois Household Income | Department of Numbers
The OP is a one person household, correct? The average household size is about 2.5 people. Per capita income is $28.5K.

From the census. Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago