Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't see even one. Even at 500k I see nothing. I see coops, and some listed as "apartment", but none listed as condo. Zillow doesn't even have a condo/coop selector, which is why I used Trulia, which does.

Trulia is also much better/more current for NYC listings, and seems to kind of "get" the weirdness of the market a little better. It seems to have more accurate neighborhood boundaries and the like. My old neighborhood in Brooklyn isn't even correctly listed in Zillow.

But maybe Zillow is better for Chicago, so maybe it's hard to compare? Who knows.
They're out there, but there's barely any. There's 76 right now on Zillow with a max price of $400K tagged with UES. The first result after you filter is not a co-op so I don't know how you miss it. Anyway here they are:

1. 444 East 87th Street #3F, New York, NY 10128 is For Sale - Zillow

2. 311 E 75th St APT 6A, New York, NY 10021 is For Sale - Zillow

3. 444 E 87th St, New York, NY 10128 is For Sale - Zillow

4. 233 E 69th St, New York, NY 10021 is For Sale - Zillow

5. 508 E 78th St APT 4I, New York, NY 10075 is For Sale - Zillow

So out of 76 properties under $400K in the UES right now, as of 1/25/2015, there are 5 active listings that are not co-ops. In total this is out of 1092 total active for sale listings. In other words, less than 1/2 of 1% of all listings in the UES right now are non co-ops and under $400K and I bet a few of these in the least are BS. The first one listed is the only one with an actual agent listed selling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 05:12 PM

321 posts, read 372,128 times
The poster acknowledged that he just made up that number, so I'm sure he knows on some level that it was wrong, but will keep arguing no matter what data you show him. That's not uncommon behavior here.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 AM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
Don't try to find NYC in Chicago. Seriously.

If you want to move to Chicago, you need to like it for what it is. And what is isn't, in any shape or form, is the UES.

Personally, I'd sooner live in Chicago than anywhere in NY except Manhattan or a few overpriced Brooklyn hoods. But you'd need to spend time there to decide for yourself. And if you want the UES, you're better off just forking out the threefold price difference and staying there.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:21 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They're out there, but there's barely any. There's 76 right now on Zillow with a max price of $400K tagged with UES. The first result after you filter is not a co-op so I don't know how you miss it. Anyway here they are:

1. 444 East 87th Street #3F, New York, NY 10128 is For Sale - Zillow

2. 311 E 75th St APT 6A, New York, NY 10021 is For Sale - Zillow

3. 444 E 87th St, New York, NY 10128 is For Sale - Zillow

4. 233 E 69th St, New York, NY 10021 is For Sale - Zillow

5. 508 E 78th St APT 4I, New York, NY 10075 is For Sale - Zillow

So out of 76 properties under $400K in the UES right now, as of 1/25/2015, there are 5 active listings that are not co-ops. In total this is out of 1092 total active for sale listings. In other words, less than 1/2 of 1% of all listings in the UES right now are non co-ops and under $400K and I bet a few of these in the least are BS. The first one listed is the only one with an actual agent listed selling it.
Those units are technically UES but really they are Yorkville. It's sort of a weird nowhere neighborhood that is "ok" but inconvenient, nondescript and nobody really wants to live there. A little like nomad and kip's bay. I lived there when i first moved to NY and interestingly many of my friends moved there in 2012 after getting too old for Williamsburg, because the co-ops are so cheap. It's a lot of really old people dying off.

Some of those listings look messed up or fake, though. Usually if something is too good to be true it probably is. There are also weird income restricted co-op units scattered throughout the city that you need to win a lottery to get into. Often if a place is listed for < $400K that's the story when you look at the fine print.

In any case, Chicago doesn't really have a UES. Gold Coast doesn't match up because UES is right on Central Park.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
In any case, Chicago doesn't really have a UES. Gold Coast doesn't match up because UES is right on Central Park.
Not to get into any technical aspects... But CHICAGO'S Gold Coast. Does have Lincoln Park down to Oak Street Beach and its views of Lake Michigan and/or skyline views, if lucky? Not saying NYC's mighty Central Park isn't' awesome..... But I thought it noteworthy to note Lincoln Park exist too.... and CHICAGO'S Lakefront.

I surely understand there are pricing differences between the two cities, especially high end? But still....
just the same ole you so often see here by some..... does not matter what Chicago has in likeness? Or similar, that could be compared? It is waaaay beneath what NYC has..... Don't matter if it is a great old Victorian mansion area or Greystones to High-end high-rises? They continue to boast..... even Brooklyn has something superior....

I also don't see higher density points to superiority also? Which is the OP's question. EVEN I COULD ANSWER THAT......
I merely give my opinion, from reading post whenever there is comparing something in Chicago, comparing it to NYC? It is a consistent pattern of ..... Chicago is not just a few steps beneath what NYC has? But a whole flight of stairs.... and some? Not talking merely quantities either.....
I WILL JUST SCURRY ALONG.... I FEEL A PUSH COMING DOWN SOME STAIRS. ------------------------ ---------------------------------- -----------------------------------

Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM

That's true, but the whole eastern border of UES is Central Park, almost 40 blocks. I think of UES being almost synonymous with Central Park East, but I don't think of the Gold Coast being synonymous with Lincoln Park. Lincoln Park is synonymous with... Lincoln Park.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
That's true, but the whole eastern border of UES is Central Park, almost 40 blocks.
The western border is Central Park, not the Eastern border. The eastern section is the East River

Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The western border is Central Park, not the Eastern border. The eastern section is the East River
oh yeah... derp... sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago