Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:42 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,003 times

Advertisements

You can still get a pretty good sized house in a nice area in your budget and within a reasonable distance from work.

17913 66th Ave, Tinley Park, IL 60477 is For Sale - Zillow

http://http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1124-191st-St-Homewood-IL-60430/4319228_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 PM

321 posts, read 371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Downtown and McCormick Place are really 2 separate areas
McCormick Place is in South Loop, which is part of downtown by any definition I've ever seen or heard. I suppose you could say it's at the edge of downtown, but I don't think you can really say it's a separate area from downtown.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While one could technically afford a home inside Chicago if one's budget is $250K the value of such of a home is questionable.
It could probably be valued at somewhere around, say, $250K.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It could probably be valued at somewhere around, say, $250K.
Ha. That was my thought, too. Home values are generally only "questionable" when you get in the very high (say, Trump Tower penthouse for tens of millions) or very low (say, under $10K in Detroit) ranges where it is difficult to find the right specific buyer. At $250K (or $90K, or $900K) home values are usually fairly clear. Their value is what they tend to sell for, by definition.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
McCormick Place is in South Loop, which is part of downtown by any definition I've ever seen or heard. I suppose you could say it's at the edge of downtown, but I don't think you can really say it's a separate area from downtown.
It's a separate area from downtown. It is not directly connected to the critical mass of business/government/hospitality/entertainment that forms downtown. It's as far away or farther from the CBD as Chinatown, Pilsen, or Piper's Alley, but nobody reckons those areas are part of downtown.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Artificial pricing factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
Ha. That was my thought, too. Home values are generally only "questionable" when you get in the very high (say, Trump Tower penthouse for tens of millions) or very low (say, under $10K in Detroit) ranges where it is difficult to find the right specific buyer. At $250K (or $90K, or $900K) home values are usually fairly clear. Their value is what they tend to sell for, by definition.
The requirement of city workers, including teachers employees by CPS, to live within the city limits provides a market distorting driver to prices. Without that requirement, which could be repealed rather easily by the City Council, prices in areas like Garfield Ridge or Jefferson Park ( on the western edges of the city along the Stevenson and Kennedy respectively) would likely tumble.

As shown by the listings homes of larger size / greater utility located in areas with much more uniformly desirable schools prices outside the city limits reflect a less "externally manipulated" price and as such are very likely a more stable value.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM

There are numerous "artificial" factors that drive housing prices in any market. Why you choose to to focus on that particular one is anyone's guess, except maybe to give you yet another opportunity to passive-aggressively disparage the city of Chicago.

Absent some anomalous factor specific to that transaction, a house in Chicago with a selling price of $250K does not have "questionable" value. Its approximate value can be readily ascertained by its selling price.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
There are numerous "artificial" factors that drive housing prices in any market. Why you choose to to focus on that particular one is anyone's guess, except maybe to give you yet another opportunity to passive-aggressively disparage the city of Chicago.

Absent some anomalous factor specific to that transaction, a house in Chicago with a selling price of $250K does not have "questionable" value. Its approximate value can be readily ascertained by its selling price.
This is correct, plus there is probably near 0% chance of the residence requirement being lifted.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is correct, plus there is probably near 0% chance of the residence requirement being lifted.
Even if there were any significant possibility it would be lifted, and even if -- especially if -- the residency requirement placed that much price pressure on the city's real estate market, that uncertainty would be factored into housing prices.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It's a separate area from downtown. It is not directly connected to the critical mass of business/government/hospitality/entertainment that forms downtown. It's as far away or farther from the CBD as Chinatown, Pilsen, or Piper's Alley, but nobody reckons those areas are part of downtown.
So, do you consider only the northern part of South Loop to be part of downtown? Or do you consider South Loop to not extend south of Cermak? Either answer is fine-- I'm just always fascinated to hear people's different definitions for these things. I've heard the definition of "downtown" that suburbanites use, which tends to refer to all or most of the city, and then I've heard the definition of "downtown" that most people in the city use, which tends to refer to Loop, South Loop, West Loop, and Near North, but I've never heard a definition that didn't include South Loop. I have heard varying definitions of where South Loop ends, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago