U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 AM
rbj rbj started this thread

14 posts, read 38,543 times

Advertisements

Well after our (and yours) decision to not move into Humboldt Park, we have now been looking in the area of bucktown. Now I have a couple of questions: We are now looking in bucktown or what some call bucktown. Here is my question is the area between west of western, east of California, south of Armitage and north of Wabansia called bucktown? Some do and some don't. Also does this area have the same problems as the other area I requested info about? (between the streets of Western and California and Chicago and Augusta)

The other question is; what does everyone think of uptown, Edgewater and Andersonville area?

Thanks again for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM

12,062 posts, read 19,070,831 times
Bucktown is East of Western. Anyone who says it's not is a big fat liar. Realtors love calling that West Bucktown... there's no such thing. That area is really closer to Logan Square than anything. If I were going to buy a place in Humboldt that's where I would buy (because of the ease of el access), but it's still a pretty questionable neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM

10,611 posts, read 18,112,931 times
The area around the Western "L" stop and just west of Wetsern Ave. has improved dramatically in the last five years. Some friends of mine moved there in 1999 and it was still a bit scary, but it's not too bad anymore. Technically anything west of Wesetern is Logan Square or Humboldt Park, depending on how far north/south you are.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

10,611 posts, read 18,112,931 times
Oh, in terms of Uptown, check out this post:

Are hipsters moving to Uptown?

Andersonville is really really great, though the commute can get long. It has one of the best pedestrian-friendly commerical strips in the city along Clark Street. Andersonville is technically part of Edgewater and is along the western edge of that neighborhood. Edgewater is still pretty mixed income, and has good blocks and bad blocks. It's a little better than central Uptown in terms of safety and crime, but part of Uptown are really very nice and safe--particularly Buena Park.

Uptown and Edgewater have their problems with gangs and such, but they are nowhere near as dangerous as the rougher west side neighborhoods. Both neighborhoods are very mixed-income, and the poverty and gangs tend to exist in pockets rather than in huge concentrations. The same can be said for Rogers Park.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM

3,022 posts, read 3,463,205 times
Anything West of Western and North of Bloomingdale is Logan Square, I think South of that is considered Humboldt. The area isn't bad, not great, but not nearly as sketchy as the area you were asking about earlier.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 AM

64 posts, read 108,215 times
I found a room that appears to be with a great set of roommates near Cortland/Western which is right next to the L stop. I have never lived in Chicago and am a college student. I do visit the city though so I know basics of Chicago. I was previously looking in Bridgeport but what seems like a affordable situation has popped up. Any things I should be concerned about?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 AM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag48 View Post
I found a room that appears to be with a great set of roommates near Cortland/Western which is right next to the L stop. I have never lived in Chicago and am a college student. I do visit the city though so I know basics of Chicago. I was previously looking in Bridgeport but what seems like a affordable situation has popped up. Any things I should be concerned about?
Cortland/Western is a teeny tiny bit rough on the edges but it's not something to be concerned about, provided you've accepted the realities/trade-offs of living in an urban area generally. I would advise staying clear of Milwaukee Avenue late at night though -- whenever there is trouble in the area, it always seems to be on Milwaukee after everything is shut down and there are no more people milling about.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:16 AM

104 posts, read 179,964 times
My wife and I just moved into a rental single family house in Logan Square between Western and California, North of Armitage, South of Fullerton. The realtor managing the property referred to this area as "West Bucktown." To be honest, we would rather not consider the area to be part of Bucktown; we are happy to be in the Logan Square neighborhood. It really seems to be a great area and, from what we can tell, it's only getting better. Awesome restaurants, a great farmers market, overall a relatively quiet neighborhood for being in the city. We like it so far, although we've only been here a couple weeks now, but I honestly don't see our opinion of the area changing much. I've had a friend living in Logan Square for the last 5-6 years and she seems to love it, too.

Just my $.02.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM

527 posts, read 846,340 times
Default umm

you're right it is not bucktown, but it is a part of logan square. Just like bucktown is a part of logan square. Check facts please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Bucktown is East of Western. Anyone who says it's not is a big fat liar. Realtors love calling that West Bucktown... there's no such thing. That area is really closer to Logan Square than anything. If I were going to buy a place in Humboldt that's where I would buy (because of the ease of el access), but it's still a pretty questionable neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM

527 posts, read 846,340 times
Default yes AND

as i just noted bucktown is actually a part of logan square. That being said it is different than logan square proper and thus does need descriptors for the realators. If I were a realator looking at Logan Square I'd find a way to discriminate between areas like Milwaukee West of California to Kedzie and the surrounding environs and deep South West Logan Square, which is pretty much a no-man's land but also still considered Logan Square just like Buctown. It may be interesting to see another neighborhood descriptor pop up to delineate between the two. Either way, you're right it is kicking here.

The neighborhood is one of the largest community areas in chicago by square miles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDC View Post
My wife and I just moved into a rental single family house in Logan Square between Western and California, North of Armitage, South of Fullerton. The realtor managing the property referred to this area as "West Bucktown." To be honest, we would rather not consider the area to be part of Bucktown; we are happy to be in the Logan Square neighborhood. It really seems to be a great area and, from what we can tell, it's only getting better. Awesome restaurants, a great farmers market, overall a relatively quiet neighborhood for being in the city. We like it so far, although we've only been here a couple weeks now, but I honestly don't see our opinion of the area changing much. I've had a friend living in Logan Square for the last 5-6 years and she seems to love it, too.

Just my $.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago